DVDC's Laserdiscs

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by DVD Connoisseur, Mar 21, 2012.

1. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Thought I'd share some pics of my collection. All items were purchased new in the mid-90s.

[​IMG]

T2 with signed letter from James Cameron:

[​IMG]

Double disc Criterion Blade Runner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Star Wars

[​IMG]

Various horror

[​IMG]

Phantasm Signature Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alien and Aliens box sets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hellraiser signed edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. killit

killit Active Member

Some GREAT oldies! That T2 box you start out with was my first laser experience as a child and that Hellraiser box you end with was my FIRST LD purchase as a 15 year old! Had suspiria and that excellent nightmare double disc too! Man LD's are MEMORIES, I have no experiences like that with DVD or blu-ray sadly, except maybe buying the blade runner 5 disker before I even had a bluray player. Awesome that you kept your collection! Sold mine off :cry:

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow, those are amazing. i've never owned (or known someone who owned) a laserdisc player, so these are all new to me.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are amazing.

must fight the urge to collect laserdiscs

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Nice collection. I was heavy into laserdisc prior to DVD's arrival. I sold nearly all of my lasers (over 700) but I do still have the same T2 box that you have.

6. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Not to hijack your thread again, but here's a pic of my Romero LD collection, I have another 75+ LD's, but none photo'd as of yet.

[​IMG]

7. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I have a few of those boxed sets. I don't display them and I can't watch them because they just don't stand up to their DVD/Blu Ray counterparts. Back in the day though LD lust had me in its clutches, thankfully things are much cheaper now days.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

It's true....as pretty as the outsides look, they just don't hold up on modern TVs. Still love the format but I haven't spun a disc in a good year or so.

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

LD can look nearly as good as a very good DVD on an HD display but it takes a video processor that is very good with analogue video... and those have never been available in inexpensive equipment and are only becoming more and more rare. Its just not worth the trouble or expense for most.

10. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Thanks for all the comments and cheers for sharing your Romero LDs, jscott. I see you have the Republic LD for Dawn (this is the only Romero I have in this format).

Haven't spun a LD for a good few years as my Sony LD just didn't deliver the goods on a large screen and it had started to play up, too. My last tv was a 56" rear projection and this was replaced with the first of the Panasonic 65" 3D plasmas that hit the UK shores. I was inspired to share by a thread elsewhere on the www and I've been busy logging all my discs onto a database so I can keep track of things.

Going off topic (but I'm sure a small detour won't matter), here are a few quick pics of my current set up (they may be of interest as there's a large horror element to my man cave!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What frustrated me when I was collating details of my discs was the number of titles I have in different formats. T2 I own on LD twice and on DVD, Hellraiser I own on VHS, twice on LD and once on DVD, Alien and Aliens...VHS, LD box sets, then DVD, now blu...it never stops!

Couple more pics for now:

The Exorcist was banned in the UK when I picked up the US release on LD. Ah, how times have changed (well, a little) since then. Can't describe the excitement I felt when I bought this!

[​IMG]

Here's another film that wasn't available uncut in the UK for quite a while:

[​IMG]

I think I've only played this once - great film but it doesn't have the feel good factor and I'd seen it a few times before on third generation VHS copies and once at the cinema (in its cut form).

11. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

My LD's are now just pretty covers to look at/collector's items. 99% of them I own on DVD or Blu Ray, and the ones I don't I've made DVD-R recordings of. However I will play a disc at least once a month to keep my machine from getting dry rot. Too bad the HD age has rendered them borderline unwatchable/obsolete, as I love Laserdisc.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  12. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    My LDs look the best they ever have on my 46". They are comparable to standard definition cable television.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

A few questions:
    1. What model LD player are you using?
    2. Are you using any kind of processing between the LD Player and the HDTV?
    3. Are you using the "zoom" function on the TV?

I have a Pioneer CLD-D704, considered by many to be the best non-Elite player out there (and not as good as those high-end Japanese models), with a composite to HDMI scaler. Anything that's 4x3 actually doesn't look too bad. But when I throw in a widescreen LD and hit the Zoom to fill the screen, it really goes to hell. Anything in the 2.35:1 ratio is borderline unwatchable.

14. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Finally going 1080P shortly, and am very curious how LD's will look. It's only gonna be a 32", so I imagine any nasties won't be as bad as on a larger screen. My Toshiba 30" CRT HDTV was very nice for LD's, especially the later releases with good transfers.

Paff,

How large is your TV, and what resolution? How far do you sit from the screen? Does the analog>HDMI scaler make a significant difference in LD/SD TV pic quality?

15. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    1. What model LD player are you using? CLD-D406

2. Are you using any kind of processing between the LD Player and the HDTV? No. I'm using the RCA video output directly to the television. My receiver upscales SD to 1080 but I don't have the LD video running through it. I've yet to try it.

3. Are you using the "zoom" function on the TV? Yes, on anything non-4:3. I agree with you that 4:3 material is much more forgiving. I've found that if the transfer was nice to begin with, it looks good. I did have an issue with my Dawn of the Dead Extended box set. It had a funky aspect that didn't fit anything very well, and it wasn't treating the edge of the image very nicely. Goldeneye looked fantastic!

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wow. You're getting performance that acceptable from a 406? I used to have that model, and it's a damn solid player, but when I got the 704 there was a marked improvement in quality (back when I had a 4x3 TV and LD was my primary source of viewing)

I have a 42" 720p plasma (my next TV will obviously be larger, and 1080p, so I imagine the LD performance will only get worse) that I sit about 12' away from. My plasma does accept the composite input, but I thought an external scaler would help the performance. After all, I do film festival work, and when we have to get a 4x3SD image onto the big screen, we use a Gefen scaler and it does pretty well.

But I'm still on the fence with the scaler I'm using. When I run the "bouncing ball" pattern from Video Essentials, the scaler does a better job with the fine black-and-white grid patterns. Going straight into the TV with composite, those patterns will create that rainbow-like moire effect. I don't get the effect with the scaler.

But when I compare an actual picture, I don't see much of an improvement. It's possible the scaler is doing TOO good of a job, and emphasizing the low resolution of laserdisc. The straight composite input kind of softens and blurs everything, so it looks less "blocky"

I got some time this weekend, I'll try some more adjustments.

17. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Would anyone know if running the composite LD output into a standalone DVD Recorder would improve the image? Once I get my new TV next week, I'll be running my recorder using component video out. Seems like a remember something being said about if a TV or other device had a 3D comb filter, it would improve LD image. Ringing any bells? Bueller?

18. sinister

sinister Active Member

Oh, those pics are bringing back some great memories of horror on LD. :)

I had a big LD collection but sold nearly all of it a few years after going to DVD. I still have a few of the rarer horror LD's like the Jap Dawn of the Dead "Perfect Collection" in the silver box and some other Jap single discs, I'll post some pics when I get a chance over the weekend.

Also had "the best LD player ever made", the Jap only model Pioneer HLD-X9, now that really did make LD's look as good as (non-anamorphic) DVD. I paid about £1500 for the player and they were so rare in Europe that I actually got more or less what I paid for it back when I sold it years later.

19. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Holy cow, the art of those LDs look awesome, I love the Hellraiser one. I went from VHS to DVD so never even knew much about Laser Discs except that they were very expensive. Just for the art alone they seem worthy of keeping on display forever.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hard to say what it would do, but give it a try anyway.

A comb filter takes a native composite signal (LD, VHS), and breaks it down into two components, Y and C (chroma and luma). "Component" connection is the same thing, broken down further. I think it's the chroma component that gets futher divided.

The school of thought USED to be to run the composite output of the laserdisc player into the TV, not the S-Video (which has been comb filtered into Y/C), because it was likely your newer TV had a better comb filter than your laserdisc player. However, that's out the window now that HDTVs are expecting a higher level input than composite. So why waste technology on good comb filtering anymore, since Blu-Ray, SD DVD, Gaming, and Satellite input don't need it?

Your theory of plugging into the DVD recorder means you'll be using a comb filter in the recorder. Hard to tell if it's any good. If the recorder is designed and intended to accept older analog inputs (like it's designed for preserving your old VHS tapes), it might have a good filter in it.

I would try every possible combination you can come up with, but I still haven't found a really acceptable solution to getting decent LD performance on an HDTV. It might just be the proverbial square peg into a round hole.

While I kind of regret still holding on to and continuing to buy LDs well after the death of the format, the good part is that most of the Blu-Rays I'm buying are upgrades from LD, not DVD. In other words, I'm double dipping LD to Blu Ray, not triple dipping LD to DVD to Blu Ray.

And hey, as crappy as they look, I can still see the theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy...