DVDC's Laserdiscs

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by DVD Connoisseur, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Sam

Sam Member

I've been getting a little nostalgic for LDs lately and have watched a few under the radar types such as Martial Law 1 & 2, Bikini Carwash Company II, Girlfriend from Hell, and Slumber Party Massacre 2. While the pic quality was glorified VHS at best, it actually kind of works for some of these lower brow flicks. But the real reason I love spinning the old LDs is the PCM audio. I've often wondered how difficult and time consuming it'd be to make custom dvds and transfer the PCM track from the LD and synch it up with the anamorphic video from the dvd release for a homebrew' DVD5/DVD9. That'd pretty much be the ultimate compromise for me on movies that I don't expect a blu ray release for quite some time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It would be worth it for Suspiria. The LD used the original audio track (which did make active use of the surrounds), but the Anchor Bay DVD did too much "cleaning up" of the sound. As in, sometimes Argento WANTED the music to overpower other sounds. AB tried to make the soundtrack more conventional, a word which makes no sense when talking about Suspiria.

3. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

That's because films of this nature never received anything better than quick and dirty (and cheap) video masters meant for the VHS market. A laserdisc minted from a high quality master will look MUCH closer to a good DVD than any VHS. However, as the old Mill Creek box sets are abundant evidence of, no matter the potential of the format, the product will look like crap if you just don't give a sh*t and throw whatever on a disc and call it a day. Garbage in, garbage out.

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Some of my LD/VHS look better if not superior to their DVD counterpart. Plus allot of movies on VHS have yet to see a DVD release. So why some people trash or disregard older media I just can't understand. Especially when the VHS or LD looks superior to the DVD.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I miss Laserdisc. Ever since I sold off my collection in 2008, gone are the days of NEVER having to turn the sound up and down to hear dialogue in between bombastic music and sound effects (hello DVD and Blu Ray).

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I have a handful of movies (mostly HK flicks) that I have on both LD and DVD, and the DVD is non-anamorphic. I prefer the LD on those by a long way.

Of course, an anamorphic DVD or Blu-Ray.....well, anyone wanna buy a used LD?

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

I still love the format but have to admit it's been a while since I have spun a disc. I moved recently and did not enjoy carrying my few remaining laserdisc boxes. Damn those things are heavy. I still consider a high end player on occasion but always talk myself out of it. Maybe someday, though, but it's unlikely. I almost bought Mission Impossible 2 on a Japanese site for an unheard of $200 or so. I decided against it. I likely would have just sold it for some profit but it still wasn't worth all the effort. It is amazing some of those last lasers command such high prices.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

I still love the format but have to admit it's been a while since I have spun a disc. I moved recently and did not enjoy carrying my few remaining laserdisc boxes. Damn those things are heavy. I still consider a high end player on occasion but always talk myself out of it. Maybe someday, though, but it's unlikely. I almost bought Mission Impossible 2 on a Japanese site for an unheard of $200 or so. I decided against it. I likely would have just sold it for some profit but it still wasn't worth all the effort. It is amazing some of those last lasers command such high prices.

9. Sam

Sam Member

CDJapan was practically giving those 'last releases' away about 10 years ago, IIRC. I picked up 6th Day, The Sixth Sense, MI:2, The Beach and several others for like $10 each plus shipping from Japan. And then, of course, a few years later they became hot property to collectors and I sold every single one of them. Owning some of those was cool, but I've kind of gotten over the novelty of having movies I don't care for just because they were released around the time of the format's funeral. That said, I do cherish several LDs that I'll likely never watch again on LD, such as the "blood red" Evil Dead II disc.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  10. polyex

polyex New Member

I can not put anything on my speakers, they just roll off from the vibration.