Early 80s' Asian Horror Films are the Best!!!

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by micrococcus, Jun 29, 2004.

1. micrococcus

micrococcus Member

Hong Kong movies that were made back in the early 80s are the best ever in the aspects of ultra gore, ultra sex and, best of all, scariness! These movies are guaranteed to generate more than mere NC-17 rating!! Unfortunately, such movies have become rare nowadays, as modern filmmakers are somehow forbidden to film horror movies of such gory quality. In addition, these films have become rare in terms of availability and none of them (to my knowledge) can be found on DVD! Dammit!

Titles that I can remember are The Rape After [extreme gore], Seeding of a Ghost [extreme gore] (click here to see picture), Ghost Nursing [damn creepy](1982), Devil Fetus [extreme gore - read review here] (1983), The Devil Sorcery [scary as hell] (1988), Escape from Coral Cove, and so on, just to name a few.

[​IMG]

Other good scary chinese horror films that are currently available on DVD are The Siamese Twins [no gore but scary] (Region 3) & The Imp [no gore but scary].

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. micrococcus

micrococcus Member

I'll post more titles once I recall them.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The Rape After, Devil Fetus and Seeding of a Ghost are all awesome flicks!! Seeding of a Ghost is probably my fav of those I've seen. The finale to Devil Fetus is kickin too, the split in half body and the demon pops out, and what with that stop motion demon head thing on the floor. :) :)
    I sure hope these become available on DVD someday!

4. micrococcus

micrococcus Member

Can any of u see the picture of Seeding of a Ghost I posted on the first thread? Or is it a broken link?

Devil Fetus is available on VCD in Hong Kong but it's a cut version. Let's pray that they'll come out on DVD and be presented uncut in the near future. Most of the above-mentioned films are owned by Shaw Brothers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  5. codeblue213

codeblue213 Guest

Also check out Tsui Hark's We're Going To Eat You w/Norman Yu. I have the Mei Ah Laser VCD release,which is rumored to be edited,but it is the only real copy I have found,still some decent gore. And check out Centipede Horror and Shaw Bros. Black Magic 2(Revenge Of The Zombies) for some more great examples of 80's Asian horror.

6. BloodMan

We're Going To Eat You is a fun flick. I got a VHS copy from one of those mail order video dub places some time ago. I watch it from time to time. Lotsa fun. :) subtitled release

7. micrococcus

micrococcus Member

Gee, thanks for the reminders. Here's a "better" list of the horror movies (from Hong Kong):

The Accident
    Black Magic
    Black Magic 2, a.k.a. Revenge of the Zombies (1976)
    Seeding of a Ghost
    Ghost Nursing (1988)
    Brutal Sorcery (1979)
    Centipede Horror (1982)
    Curse (1987)
    Black Magic with Buddha / Butchery (1983)
    We're Going to Eat You

Attached Files:

8. micrococcus

micrococcus Member

I forgot to include Ronny Yu's (director of Freddy vs. Jason & Bride of Chucky) Bless This House (1988), a haunted house story which I find scarier than the modern horror films nowadays (though no gore)!

Another much better horror flick, The Accident (1983), revolves around a little girl who's hit by a runaway car & her spirit seeks revenge on the perpetrators. Filled with grisly death scenes + scary images!!

The following is the synopsis for one of the best horror flicks, Black Magic 2 (a.k.a. Revenge of the Zombies), taken from one of the members at IMDB.COM:

A doctor is investigating some strange and disturbing happening in his hospital, such as people being covered in gaping scabs all over body, parasites, worms and snakes under people's flesh and girls having abortions, only to find out that they have "aborted" undead monster fetuses. If that is not enough, there is a pretty damn wicked mage who grabs out the corpses of dead females, pound spikes into their skull and make them become the living dead, only if you remove the spike, the undead shall melt away and living girls being used as guinea pigs by the wicked mage. [by Poona Kan Ng]

Also check out Blood Sorcery (1986), another gory flick!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  9. BloodMan

Sweet Home! FX by Dick Smith... have only heard and read about this... haven't seen it yet.