Early Rave for WRONG TURN

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Hellbilly, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Latency

Latency Guest

/raises_hand :)

2. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Fuck, I saw "The New Guy" at the cinemas just to see her bikini dance. And it was worth it.

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

That was such a great part of the movie. :D

4. highdef

highdef Guest

WRONG TURN is a ride worth taking. It’s a heart-stopping, adrenaline rush that grabs hold tight, right from the start,
    and doesn’t ease up until the film’s closing credit crawl.
    Visually the film is outstanding, shot by “X-FILES” director of photography John Bartley, its rich atmospherics was reminiscent of an episode entitled “HOME.” Sweeping camera moves, startling visual effects, competent acting and a first-rate
    directing effort from Rob Schmidt makes WRONG TURN an enjoyable rollercoaster ride. The cast delivers convincing performances but its Eliza Dushku and Desmond Harrington
    that hit this baby out of the woods. Their engaging chemistry and conviction is evenly matched by their ability to make us genuinely care about what happens to them. The supporting cast is also well assembled and allows the audience to identify with characters of believable depth and purpose – as they are not merely existing for the sake of a body count. Stan Winston’s visual makeup effects are expertly performed with startling clarity. Those of you unsure after reading this if they should rush out and see WRONG TURN is really committing a major disservice to the creators of what I consider to be one hell of a cinematic romp. I can only hope that when Fox releases it on DVD they offer up loads of supplements that will illustrate just how this
    compelling piece of cinema was born.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2003
  5. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Just got back, and hot damn, its one gritty, gruesome, and great horror romp if there ever was one! While definately not the goriest film I've seen, the gore is damn graphic for a studio release, and the people sitting behind me left in disgust during the part where the hillbillies bring the first girl of the group to die home. Fucking pussies! :lol:
    The part where the cop gets the arrow to the eye out of nowhere simply ruled too!
    I'm also guessing some might compare this to HO1KC, but if you ask me, this film completely blew that one out of the water!

The hillbillies are really fucked up, and Winston did an awesome job with their makeup. I especially liked the youngest one. His makeup was the best, and he also acted the craziest of the three. Their house was also appropriately nasty.

If I have any problem with the film whatsoever, its that there was no nudity, as anyone would be insane to not want to see the goddess that is Eliza Dushku in all her glory, and I thought her friend was pretty nice too, although she was nippleing. :D

Anyhow, this is one hell of a thrilling and gruesome horror ride, and I loved every damn minute of it! I'll be seeing it again quite soon, and my mouth is already watering in anticipation of the DVD! I give it ****1/2 out of *****!

7. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I'll probably check it out when it comes to DVD, it sounds interesting.:evil:

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

OK Cujo, I'm there dude!

9. puddytay

puddytay Guest

WTF are you talking about THIS MOVIE SUCKED!!!!! It was helerious that they could make a movie on this concept. It was like the 3 stuges meets the hunchback of notradam. It sucked. It sucked. Not scary not intresting I wanted to leave half way like most people were doing. Horrible 1 out of 5 stars. If Eliza would have gotten nude I would give it a 5 tho. Her not getting nude hurt the movie alot. HA

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

My friends in the states all liked it, and were impressed by the gore. I want to see this so bad. I may have to download before the movie comes out.

And mcchrist, I love your new icon. :glasses:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2003
  11. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Good review Cujo. Fucking awesome.

12. evileye

evileye Member

Actually pretty good (for those of you who like bare-bones slasher throwbacks from the 1980's). Nothing to rave about in characters and plot, but no phony motives and jokey one-liner conclusions.

If you liked JUST BEFORE DAWN or FRIDAY THE 13TH, check it out.
    If you are looking for something literate like TEH OTHERS... pass on by.:glasses:

13. correct me if Im wrong but after some of the credits were over I could of sworn I saw a little scene when some guy gets an arrow to the head or an axe to the head Im not sure about this.

14. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I will give a longer response.

This movie wasnt very good. And if people say it is they obviously have incredibly low standards. It was 100% perdicitable and in my opinion very boring because they tried to make it the least scary they could. People were laughing to much during my viewing because of the freaks making the grunting sounds. I agree it was funny. I kept saying to myself why the hell did I pay money to see this. It was %33 tourist trap %50 percent friday the 13th, %7 gremlins 2 for the sounds the crazy gremlin makes, %10 wtf where they thinking. I mean it wasn't that bad but it wasn't that good either. It could have been so much better for once in a movie I didnt jump once or even git a bit nervous or scared. I really dont think there was that much gore either. People say it was gory. No it wasn't not the least bit I could name 100 movies in the last year I've seen much gorier. Horror is my favorite genre so maybe thats why I'm being picky but I have seen hundreds of better horror movies then wrong turn. 1 out of 5 stars. If eliza would have gotten nude I might have gave that a little higher.
    This was a movie similar to a marry go round it kept running in circles with nothing new to see. It may be fun at first but it gets old really quick. If I hadn't paid 7 dollars to watch this I might have liked it alright but sitting in a ****** theatre where the screen looked full screen. Just a overall ****** experience.

15. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I wasn't expecting the reinvention of the wheel here... It's an enjoyable throwback to old school slashers and nothing more. Can't wait for the DVD!:D

16. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Just saw it, myself. It was, indeed, a good movie. And for those of you who have an interest in seeing it, don't let some of these nay-sayers dissuade you. Was it the greatest? Of course not. Was it better than most of the horror trite we're subjected to anymore? I certainly thought so.

Wrong Turn was the kind of movie Rob Zombie was trying to make when he did House of a 1000 Corpses. It was (as one astute poster pointed out) an enjoyable throwback to a simpler time that was reminiscent of The Hills Have Eyes, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and other great 70s flicks in terms of both its conflict and its intensity.

Sure, some won't like it. There was no cheesy-looking CGI. There was no music-video-style cinematography. There were no kung fu fights. There were no samurai swords or machine guns. There was no nudity. There were no supermodels. There was no hip soundtrack from the flavor-band-of-the-month. However, Hills Have Eyes and Texas Chainsaw Massacre didn't have any of that stuff, either.

Now, sure, you could not see this movie based upon the unfounded warnings of some idiot... But, when the studios decide that gritty, R-rated horror flicks just don't sell anymore, and go back to PG-13 Kevin Williamson rip-offs, you'll have no-one to blame but yourself when you're standing in line for Teaching Mrs. Tingle 2.

dmeister

17. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I disagree do not see this movie listen to me it sucks. Save your money if you would like to make a point and be there the first night for the opening of freddy vs jason.

18. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I think you've nicely summed up your perspective on the horror genre with this one. If only you were joking...

dmeister

19. puddytay

puddytay Guest

Sorry but the nightmare on elm street is the coolest franchise ever. And it represents that movies from the 80's can still make it today.

20. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

What does "perdicitable" mean? I'm debating whether or not to go see WT later tonight, and I do put stock in most of you guys' opinions, so I'd like to understand that post before I go buy tickets.

:banana: