Early Rave for WRONG TURN

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Hellbilly, Feb 10, 2003.

1. dmeister

dmeister New Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however disturbing and misguided.

However, you blast Wrong Turn for being too "predictable" and not making you "jump" or "nervous" enough, but then you go on to pay homage to one of the most dull, formulaic, and uninspired franchises out there: Nightmare on Elm Street. Craven milked that turd for every drop of liquid shit he squeeze out of it until the Scream franchise finally saved his career. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first Nightmare; it was the next twenty that I could do without. And when is the last time anyone "jumped" while watching one of the last sixteen Friday the 13th sequels?

You give Wrong Turn 1 star as a horror movie, but then -- just to show us how seriously you take your movie evaluations -- you go on to say that you would have rated it much higher if Dushku had been naked. So does that mean you thought The New Guy was scarier, since she was at least in a bikini? The truly horrific part of all this is that some people, like the guy above, who is asking you to clarify your opinion, seem to take you seriously. It's one thing that you didn't like the movie, but to encourage others not to watch it while you whore out New Line's next turd, Freddy Versus Jason, is just criminal.

dmeister

Last edited: Jun 1, 2003
  2. Caesar

Caesar Guest

I saw this flick today and I find myself on the same branch as those of you who enjoyed the movie. :)

My pessimistic side focused on the ways I thought it could/should have been better . . . lord knows it could have been better. Yet I DID like most of what I saw, so I'm happy to have enjoyed it as much as I did.

I think the movie had a very solid cast. Eliza Dushku, well I think she is cool in just about any role. ;) that Desmond guy was VERY cool in his role, I found him quite likeable ! I love being able to root for a character in a horror movie and he pulled that off nicely.

Jeremy Sisto was awesome, he pisses me off on Six Feet Under :D and he did a nice job here. His fiance was decent too, she handled the role of 'hysterical girl' very well. :)

Mark Relford described Wrong Turn as "enjoyable" and I have to agree. It certainly was enjoyable, and any negatives I have to say about the movie will not concern what's on screen but what's NOT onscreen.

Wrong Turn could have been a much better movie but for what's actually on screen I think they did a decent job. :)

Oh, since someone made the 1000 Corpses comparison, I'll say that I like Wrong Turn less than 1000 Corpses but keep in mind that I REALLY enjoyed Corpses. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2003
  3. puddytay

puddytay Guest

Perdictable means nothing is new. Also when first meeting the characters I automaticly knew who would live and die. Also it means that I predicted the moment they would be killed so there is no scare factor. I dont find friday the 13th movies scary but there is allways a couple parts where I will jump because at least they still ad a little suspense which this was lacking 100 percent. Go to dvd talk movie forum they are agreeing with me that the movie sucks.

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

:sleepy:

5. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I understand what predicatable means, I just don't understand why you could call any movie predictable compared to the Nightmare and Friday the 13th series, which are about predictable as you can get without writing the script yourself.

dmeister

6. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I never said they werent predictable I'm just saying freddy vs jasons gonna be awsome so see it INSTEAD OF THIS PEICE OF SHIT!! THIS MOVIE IS HORRIBLE. I dare you to find me a positive review from a respected reviewer.

7. dmeister

dmeister New Member

By the way, it seems like you're one of the only people who are actually bad-mouthing the movie over there at DVD Talk...

dmeister

8. dmeister

dmeister New Member

What are you, like 13? You sound like one of those kids who sit around asking each other, "If Batman and Spider-Man ever got into a fight, who would win?"

Who, exactly, do you consider to be a "respected reviewer?"

dmeister

9. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

LOL. Puxxytay does seem like a 13 YO. I bet he had to pay a drunk to take him to see the movie, and he didn't even get to see some tits, that's why he's pissed.

10. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I'm 20 I just get pissed off when I have to pay 7 bucks to see a shitty movie. I wanted it to be scary and suspenseful and it wasn't.

11. John

John Guest

I saw this flick last night. While it wasn't the best flick I had ever seen, it was certainly better than Darkness Falls. I had a good time with it. There were some dull moments, but there were also some great kills. It was nice to see the Freddy vs. Jason trailer on the big screen as well.

12. dmeister

dmeister New Member

What you're saying is that your problem is not with the movie per se, but rather with the fact that you didn't like it. So, really then, you're pissed off at yourself. You just need to learn to love yourself, puddytay, and then you will be able to enjoy quality movies again. ;)

dmeister

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I saw this last night. It might not be the best thing in the world, I thought it was money well spent. As for predictability, I too automatically knew who was going to live and die, and in what order they would die (
    once I saw the two kids lighting one up I knew they were lunch meat
    ) but that kinda added to the fun for me, I anticipated to see how they would be killed, and for the most part was not dissapointed. I also liked how in some parts it was what they didn't show, but heard that kinda was disturbing such as
    when they started sawing away at that girl on the table, you didn't see it, but you could hear the bone breaking and flesh tearing

This is one that I will definitely be getting on DVD, hopefully it might have some additional gore and/or scenes that were cut for time and stuff.

14. puddytay

puddytay Guest

No I'm not mad I spent 7 bucks. Its that I waisted 7 bucks on a shitty movie. I could have gotten a good hooker just kidding. I go see a new movie about each week. And this is the first one I found horrible in about 2 years.

15. dmeister

dmeister New Member

As far as the whole "predictability" thing goes, since it has been brought up several times in the context of this movie, consider this: Most films focus primarily on the main protagonist. Now, in a slasher film, generally everyone dies but the protagonist and maybe his/her love interest. Does that make the film predictable? Only to the extent that these films, like most films, establish from the outset who the protagonist is in an effort to develop the character, generate empathy from the audience, give the story some focus, and so on. So, you almost always know from the start who will live (the protagonist) and who will die (everyone else) in a horror movie. Wrong Turn was no exception to this common rule. Few horror movies are exceptions to this rule.

I was just being facetious with that post.

dmeister

16. highdef

highdef Guest

Here's an interesting article from DARK HORIZONS.
    You will not believe the political stupidity swirling around the film:

A minor controversy is brewing over the teen horror movie opening in wide release across the US today. The FOX flick has a group of young actors going on a camping trip in the West Virginia wilderness which turns into a terrifying experience as they're pursued and hunted by three in-bred cannibals who "prowl the countryside looking for outsiders to eat". Now it seems local politicians in WV aren't happy with the way their state is being portrayed, in fact Governor Bob Wise talked with The Charleston Mail about the film: "I think it's trash. Someone is trying to play upon a false stereotype that some people continue to harbor about West Virginia. ‘Deliverance' didn't accurately represent Tennessee or Georgia or wherever it was supposed to be set, and this movie doesn't represent what West Virginia is like, either. If you get lost in West Virginia, you're more likely to encounter a friendly hunter or fisherman who will be eager to help you in any way he can". Some people however at least have a bit more common sense such as local film critic Steve Fesenmaier who said "I understand (people being upset about the stereotypes), of course, but I have to say . . . who really cares? Do people who watch all of the TV series on crime in New York City really think that the town is just one giant crime wave?". As someone whose own culture was grossly misrepresented with a just plain dumb/non-existant stereotype in a major studio release earlier this year (ie. "Kangaroo Jack") I have to agree with the latter guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2003
  17. David666

David666 Guest

Fantastic

I went in expecting a mean spirited throw-back to the eighties... what I got was much more fun then that. I am not a huge fan of the backwood slasher flicks of the eighties (with some exceptions of course... one being the closest Wrong Turn comparrison, Just Before Dawn). Wrong turn was a fantastic addition to the genre and it truly had some amazing set pieces that really give it an advantage over other genre films. Can you honestly say that you've seen anything quite like the "tree" sequence, can you say it wasn't awesome? I loved it. The photography was beautiful for a genre picture, and lets face it most genre films are filmed by people who don't give a shit beyond their paychecks... so to see a horror film with real beauty was a true treat. It was fast, vicious and above all fun... easily one of the best relentless pursuit films since Jeepers Creepers. this and house of 1000 Corpses are easily two of my favorite films of the year. Bring on Jeepers 2... and by all means make Wrong Turn 2!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This reminds me, I need to pick up Deliverance. I think when Wrong Turn and The Hills Have Eyes comes out on DVD I'm going to have a "Cannibalistic Backwoods Country Folk Marathon" consisting of Deliverance, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes, and Wrong Turn. Maybe I'll throw in TCM 2 and 3 for good measure.:D

19. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

What? You mean there isn't a murder or sex crime in New York at least 5 times a week? :p

20. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Southern Comfort might make a nice addition to the list at less $10 on DVD...

dmeister