Early Rave for WRONG TURN

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Hellbilly, Feb 10, 2003.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I just got back from seeing Wrong Turn and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I walked into the theatre expecting a cheap, mindless horror flick. Well that's what I got and I was not disappointed! It's nice to see a modern horror movie that doesn't pretend to be something so much bigger than it really is. And best of all, no stupid un-funny in-jokes. Hopefully the dvd will be unrated because a few scenes looked trimmed, but it did have some nice kills.:evil:

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Wait, if he can't remember where Deliverance is set, how does he know if the state was innaccurately represented. What a dumb shit.

3. highdef

highdef Guest

Excuse me, MrGrim13, but this was a post that I found on the
    DARK HORIZONS website. This is not my own personal opinion...got it! The next time you attack someone you should carefully read the post first.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Dude I wasn't saying that. I was making fun of the guy you were talking about, sorry for the confusion man.

5. highdef

highdef Guest

Thanks, I'm glad we cleared that up.

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Fuck West Virginia...

:banana:

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

I watched this last night and I had a real good time. Kudos to Stan Winston for making some really great gore effects. This is easily the goriest horror film I have seen in theatres in a loooooong time. The cinematography was excellent and the hillbillies were damn scary. I loved how they hardly ever showed them, the camera dwelled on them just long enough to establish their grotesque apprearance, nothing more.

As the end credits rolled I thought that the film was very good, but could have had a stronger ending, but then
    when that one hillbilly came and killed the cop my reservations were put to rest. Slashers need to have one of those endings, where the killer is stopped but never really dead. And the final shot of that hillbilly was just damn creepy!

This was definitely a welcome throwback to the old slasher films of yore, so if you liked movies like MANIAC, THE FINAL TERROR, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, etc. then you'll like WRONG TURN just as much.

On a side note I think WRONG TURN is a lame title. When the main guy deliberately stops at the fork in the road to contemplate where to go I just thought it seemed totally tacked on and unnecessary. There is hardly any reference to them making a wrong turn throughout the film anyway, it should have had an exploitation title like THE WEST VIRGINIA MASSACRE or something like that. ;)

8. highdef

highdef Guest

I coudn't agree with you more, rhett. John Bartley's cinematography (X-Files series) created a truly intense environment for the film and Stan Winstons' makup effects
    were top-notch. I really hope that horror fans get out and
    see WRONG TURN. It's a shame that Fox is promoting it
    so poorly though. Kudos to a job well done.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah I never saw anything for this in theatres or on TV, and if I recall the trailer just came out last Wednesday, did it not? Talk about totally throwing this movie away. And as a side note, that trailer was fantastic too. Oh well, maybe it will find an audience on video.

10. highdef

highdef Guest

Apparently the MPAA rejected the 3 trailers produced for promotional purposes. The one that was finally circulated hit theatres way too late. What a shame. I agree that this film deserves to find an appropriate audience as it's clearly superior to the majority of trash playing at local theatres.

11. mcchrist

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heaven forbid! God rhett, that's like the best movie title I've ever heard!

12. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

My money would be on Spider Man. :D

13. Latency

Latency Guest

Fox always seems to fuck things up with good horror/sci-fi titles.

14. Caesar

Caesar Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After the movie was finished, I turned to my best friend and said "as if I already had no reason to go to West Wirginia . . . " :lol:

"West Wirginia, mountain mama, take me home, take me hooooooome" -- John Denver -- :banana:

15. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

I just got back from seeing this and what a great flick it is. You won't catch me going anywhere near the woods anytime soon. Can't wait for the DVD.

16. mcchrist

Hell man, I'm a native... I see ads for WV tourism here in Tucson, AZ talking about white water rafting and shit, good god, like there aren't other places in the world...

If you do end up there, every small town has a little festival, and each one is the same... Crappy parade with badly made floats, pageant with ugly hick-girls, stands selling buckwheat pancakes and rebel flags, bluegrass and country music, and thousands of stupid people on vacation... I ask why? Each festival is the same, with the exception of the Italian Festival (affectionally known by natives as the "Tally Rally" or the "WOP Hop"), which all that has going for it is good food and bingo... Beyond that you have racist cults, inbred white trash, and churches that are so backwoods even the Presbyterians are snake-handlers...

I say it again...

FUCK WEST VIRGINIA

EDIT: If you do end up in West Virginia, Gilligan lives there... Maybe you can toke up with him...

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I just saw this last night - and boy, did I enjoy myself. I was actually on edge - complete with clammy palms throughout the flick. Nice grue and gore - you actually felt the characters weren't safe from anything. Good flick and well worth the $9 I spent. That's saying a lot since I wouldn't even spend THAT much money on a lame flick featuring people in black pleather flying around on wires dodging cartoon bullets!

18. highdef

highdef Guest

I couldn't agree with you more, wago70. This is one hell of a good film!

19. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

LOL Wago - I haven't seen either yet (Wrong Turn comes out next month in Australia), but fuck the Matrix. The hype ruined it for me and when it finally came out I honestly couldn't be fucked seing it. It all seems way way way too pretentious.

20. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I'm amused by how this thread turned into McC's personal battleground for his war against WV. You make the state sound like my home county. Not only are we the only county in the state of Pennsylvania that annually loses population, we're also the only county that inexplicably speaks with a Southern accent.

I'm still not sure on puddytay's opinion of the movie. If he could just spend 3 more pages explaining it...