Early-to-Mid 90's Horror Sequels

Discussion in 'General' started by Slackjaw83, May 15, 2009.

1. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Ok, so over the last few days I've come to a realization (one that I'm sure many others have come to before me...) : The early-to-mid 90's was a great time for horror movie sequels. Sure, most weren't as "terrifying" as the originals (hell, some are honestly more "action"-y and comedy filled than horrifying), but they're just fun.

As a fan of lower budgeted "B-Movies", this time period just churned out a lot of fun fliks. What's weird was, as they were coming out, I just found a lot fo them to be "too cheesy", but, as I get older, I seem to appreciate their fun-factor a pile more. Among them :

- Waxwork II : Lost in Time
    - Pumpkinhead II : Blood Wings
    - Amityville 1992 : It's About Time
    - Leatherface : The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
    - Return of the Living Dead 3
    - The Horror Show (aka House III)
    - Gremlins 2 : The New Batch
    - Army of Darkness (Evil Dead III)
    - Jason Goes to Hell
    - Hellraiser III : Hell on Earth
    - Bride of Re-Animator
    - Night of the Demons 2
    - Sometimes They Come Back....Again!
    - Phantasm III : Lord of the Dead
    - Leprechaun 2
    - Critters 4
    - Maniac Cop III : Badge of Silence
    - Puppet Master 4 and 5 : The Final Chapter

I'm sure that there are more, but most of these are the ones that I've recently re-watched (some for the first time in years).

Anyone else feel this way about the fun-and-cheesy sequels of the first 5 years of the 1990's?

2. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Strangely yes - I hated Army of Darkness in the theater, but now love it! I also enjoy Return of the Living Dead 3, Bride of Re-Animator.

I scoffed at Night of the Demons 2 years ago, but saw it recently and really really liked it.

The others that you mention I haven't seen. Oddly, the same time period was also a golden age of sorts for extreme-camp Hong Kong movies (gobs of famous category III movies were being made with high-ish production values).

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Don't forget

Basket Case 2
    Basket Case 3
    Critters 4
    Exorcist III
    Gate II
    Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College
    Ghoulies IV
    Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
    Howling VI: The Freaks
    Howling: New Moon Rising
    976-EVIL 2: The Astral Factor
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toymaker
    Watchers II
    Watcher III
    Xtro II: The Second Encounter
    Xtro III: Watch the Skies

Sadly I have seen all of these.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

This is a good thread, even if I had seem almost all the films listed, I'd certainly forgot just how many sequels there actually were in the early nineties. That said, Critters 4 is fucking terrible. In space everyone can hear Don Opper take a shit on his audience.

Actually, so does TCM 4, Leprechaun 4, Ghoulies 4, Silent Night Deadly Night 4, House 4 et al. Phantasm 4 I can't be so harsh on, but it too was the worst in the series. It seems as if every fourth film sucks in the nineties, and the only explanation I can give is that Meatballs 4 is so damn awesome that it caused every other fourth to suck that much more just to keep the balance intact.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I loved 90's sequels as a kid getting into the genre. I had some of my first horror experiences with Gremlins 2, the Children of the Corn sequels, Silent Night Deadly Night 5, and 976-Evil 2. I love a lot of Jim Wynorski's stuff at the time. Sleaze was so much more fun in the late 80's / early 90's than it ever was in the 70's/early 80's or today (where it's just posing and wannabe-80's, throwing back to Porky's, etc). Something much more fresh and free spirited about the way people like Wynorski, DeCoteau, and Olen Ray did it. Not like the early 80's and shit like The Prowler and New York Ripper, where it was nasty and mean-spirited. Another dishonorable mention goes to Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. Hell, you filate a BANANA in that movie and you'll be gutted. Those movies were like "See! I told'ja so!" for Republicans! Punishments for the free spirits of the 60's and 70's and people having fun and doing their own thing.

The difference between the 90's and today - bad sequels were still enjoyable. But after seeing all those bad sequels of the 90's, watching the same thing this decade but with half the fun is no fun at all.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

These lists for me are just proving how bad the the 90's really were. That Era is what turned me off of horror for a while.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here. The '90s was a fucking HORRIBLE decade for horror. The '90s was definitely the decade where horror became less fun and no longer enjoyable (sure there are some rare exceptions, but they're very few and far-between). '90s horror movies were just BAD.

~Matt

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I agree. It's cool that people can find something to enjoy in horror from the early 90s, but honestly, I'll always consider that period the dark ages for the genre.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well, considering this is the horror genre, don't you think HORROR films SHOULD be rather mean-spirited? The main reason the horror genre went downhill was because they became MUCH LESS mean-spirited and tried to make horror "fun"...bad idea. They killed the genre in the '90s.

~Matt

10. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Wasn't Critters 3 early 90s too....? I think it was done back to back with Critters 4

There was also:

Amityville: A New Generation in 1993
    When A Stranger Calls Back in 1993
    Prom Night IV: Deliver Us From Evil in 1991
    Sleepaway Camp IV: The Survivor in 1992

and the "sequel" of sorts to I Spit On Your Grave:
    Savage Vengeance in 1993.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  11. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I hated living through the early-mid 90's horror era. If you were there it sucked! Every horror film went direct to video, every franchise tried to inject stupid, nonsense plotpoints (jason body jumping in Jason Goes to Hell, the druids in Halloween 6), and every "original" horror film was retooled into a lame thriller. 94-96 what the absolute bottom of the barrel for this era.
    I too enjoy Army of Darkness more now than I did in the theater. In the theater I just sat there (with the other 4 people in the theater) and wondered where is all the Evil Dead gore. Some of the above mentioned films have aged better now that we live in an era of glossy studio product horror films but these are still more exciting times for horror fans.
    Also some of the films above dont fit into the timeline.

Leatherface came out in fall of 1989

Sleepaway Camp 4: The Suvivor didn't come out at all. In fact no one saw a frame of that till 2004 so that shouldn't count

and Savage Vengeance was actually shot in the 1970's wasn't it.

12. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Don't forget Stepfather 3.

13. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

how about troll 2

14. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I haven't seen many of these but the few I have are pretty unimpressive. Strangely enough I loved Army of Darkness upon its original theatrical release (I thought it was hilarious) but the last time I watched it you could barely get a chuckle out of me. I didn't go into it expecting the next Evil Dead gorefest- it was just a vehicle for Bruce Campbells comedic stylings.

15. Angelman

I have a wierd affinity for these 90s films. I was going to school, playing in bands and working 4 pm til midnight most days in the early/mid-90s and so my only "life" was coming home and catching DTV movies on cable. And stuff like Meridian and Dark Angel: The Ascent will ALWAYS have a soft spot in my heart.

16. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I never had cable TV which is probably the main reason why I never even "accidentally" stumbled on most of these.

17. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I saw most of them as they were released because, for whatever reason, the only rental place in my small home town (1100 people, by last count) ALWAYS got a pile of direct-to-video horror fliks as they came out. I guess it was good business, as the place always seemed to be doing well back then. Basically, it seemed, to me anyway, that horror films had already pushed the envelope of serious, uncomfortable "nastiness" and "gore" as far as it could, so the latter film makers were content trying to be a bit more fantastical and wanted to make the films a bit faster and more exciting. To me, it's similar to what Cameron did when he made "Aliens" (though, obviously, not as successfully).

In any case, I can see the arguments for the more "serious" or "down and dirty" horror fair that that was being released through the late 70's/early 80's, but, for me, I just like the fun factor better. I want a fast-paced, fun movie with some scares and inventive special effects. Movies like "The Prowler", "The Burning" and a pile of other fair from the initial "slasher era", while being classic films in the genre and having some great kills, tend to drag a bit between murder set pieces, while the 90's sequels generally move along like a roller coaster ride.

I'm not saying i dislike older slasher films, oh no, far removed, only that i have to be in a specific mind-set to watch most of them, mostly due to the pacing.

Really, there's no "right" or "wrong" here. It just comes down to personal tastes I guess.

18. Angelman

Generally I like both. But I was raised on 70s/80s so I will always love them best.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

For me, the early 90s was the worst time ever for horror films. Hardly any were in the theaters and most of them were terrible sequels.

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I can agree with both sides: yes, they sucked the life out of the franchises and are some of the worst horror films in hstory; but they are also a lot of fun when looking at them from a good 10+ years later. Not every movie can be tolerable. :)