Eaten Alive / Cannibal Ferox / Cannibal Holocaust

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by thrashard76, Oct 17, 2001.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I see that Eaten Alive / Cannibal Ferox / Cannibal Holocaust are coming or is out on DVD. Can anyone tell me how good these are? Which distributors own these products? Any chance of Anchor Bay picking up these titles for a re-release on DVD with extras?

2. straxboy

straxboy Guest

Diminishing returns really

'Cannibal Holocaust' is nasty but very, very interesting and deceptively complex and procative (check out where the Blair Witch idea really came from)

'Cannibal Ferox' is less interesting, just as nasty (maybe more so) but still a provocative counterpoint to Holocausts true professionalism.

'Eaten Alive' is just cinematic arse!

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Umberto Lenzi

Are there any other good movies he did? What movies are out that are similar to his better achievements?

4. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Yeah...you like delirious italian cinema?? you check out Lenzi`s `Nightmare City` boy is that one crazy movie, lots of zombies and gore at a very fast pace...awful dialogue/acting BUT i love it...hehe B movie heaven. As for the Cannibal capers i have to say Holocaust is the best of the bunch and Ferox is a very entertaining experience although i wouldnt call it a cinematic masterpiece by any standards =^,^= oh yeah and if you like animals, you better avoid these 2! :D

5. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i own all 3 movies on DVD .... EC released Eaten Alive and Cannibal Holocaust and Grindhouse did Cannibal Ferox.
    All 3 are awesome, but contrary to popular opinion, I think that Cannibal Holocaust is probly the least entertaining of the bunch, and Cannibal Ferox being the best and Eaten Alive being somewhere in the middle.
    So if i was to buy them, like you seem interested in doing, id definitally get Cannibal Ferox first, then Eaten Alive (the new remasted one, not the older one which i own :( ) then Cannibal Holocaust (the new remastered one, which is the one i own, which looks nice)

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 17, 2001
  6. Cannibal Fever!!

Cannibal Ferox already has a pretty kick ass Special Edition (great print, commentary by Lenzi & John Morghen, a Lenzi interview, some more) courtesy of Grindhouse (pass on the Sazuma disc)... I'd certainly say its better than AB would be likely to do.
    There's a decent Cannibal Holocaust disc out, too (with a Deodato interview); but Grindhouse has been pretty public about their upcoming Cannibal Holocaust disc, which features a remastered print and Deodato commentary (plus whatever else), so you're probably best off waiting for that.
    EC has a pretty good Eaten Alive disc, albeit essentially extra-free. EC remastered their own disc, though; so be sure to pick up the more recent version (the one WITHOUT the Blade In the Dark trailer).

Hope that helps!

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Werner, the fact that C.F. is not anamorphic makes me think that AB could do a better job ;) .

I prefer Holocaust, mainly because of the clever direction cinema-verite-style. And the acting was much better I think. The penis chop of Cannibal Ferox looks very fake to my eyes, but I admit that the brain munching was hilarious. :D

8. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I don't know why you would want to avoid the Sazuma edition of Cannibal Ferrox. It's anamorphic unlike the Grindhouse version. If grindhouse were to release The Beyond without the guidance of Anchor Bay I bet it wouldn't have been enhanced. I really hope that GH, if and when they release Cannibal Holocaust on DVD, do it right and make it anamorphic otherwise I'll just have to get the new EC version. I have the original CH disc from EC and it's R2 so I want to get a R0 version.. Am I the only person that likes Eaten Alive? I got the new EC version of EA and it's great.

9. Mighty Anamorphin' Cannibals

Well, I guess that's a matter of preference... Not having a 16x9 TV (and not believing I'll ever own one in this lifetime), I could give a lick about a DVD's being anamorphic (and, otherwise, they both tend to produce fantastic prints) or not; whereas the massive amounts of quality extras that Grindhouse secures puts theirs far above the "just the film and a trailer" sort of release AB would probably give it, in my mind.

The CH disc I have is from "Substance Media" or some-such (I'm at work, right now, so I can't go have a look)... That's R0.

10. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I love Umberto Lenzi's films.
    Of the three mentioned, I'd have to say Ferox is my favorite.

If you haven't seen Nightmare City yet, I suggest picking it up, a classic! Laser Paradise has released this and it is also being released by AB.

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Re: Mighty Anamorphin' Cannibals

Fair enough.
    But... never say never again!:D

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Eaten Alive

I saw Eaten Alive (probably edited) when I rented it from Blockbuster. I thought it was good but the voice overs were crappy. Lots of good scenes. I bought The Beyond LE when it came out on AB but even though it was nice looking and sounded clear with tons of extras I was a little disappointed in the fact that it wasn't like Eaten Alive. EA seemed darker and more sinister than The Beyond. So what are the definitive versions to look out for when it comes to: 1. Eaten Alive, 2. Cannibal Ferox, and 3. Cannibal Holocaust?

A quick note:
    Check this web site out for "Biohazardous" trailer...it looks promising...any word on a US release?

http://moodudeproductions.cjb.net/

13. Well, as far as Cannibal Ferox goes, I guess it's up to you whether you value lots of extras (Grindhouse) or an anamorphic print (Sazuma) more... but I think it's safe to say that it's worth holding off on Canibal Holocaust to see what Grindhouse comes up with (anamorphic or not, it's bound to be a step up from previous CH discs... I saw the remastered print in theatres when Grindhouse took it on tour, and it looked really good), and that the remastered EC disc is the way to go with Eaten Alive.

This site has detailed reviews of both Ferox DVDs, so you should probably check those out for a better look at each version (Sazuma has an "ugly, yellowish print?").
    There're also reviews of both EC Eaten Alive discs, but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer the pre-remastered version, unless they really treasure that Blade In the Dark trailer, yet can't bring themselves to purchase the actual BItD DVD.

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

???

Hey Werner which site are you talking about?:D

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Sorry Werner

I was just informed that something just ate my brains!

Seriously, this site IS this site...duoh!!! I get it now!!!

Oh look a zombie...mmm brains!

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

the Grindhouse disc of Cannibal Holocaust will blow away all previous releases, so I wouldn't waste your money on an inferior version. I sat in on the commentary recording with Ruggero Deodato and Robert Kerman (and Antonella Fulci, although she later asked to be removed from the track) and it's a pretty informative tribute to the film, and fans of Third World Cannibal Hijinx will definitely find it of interest. I also videotaped several bits for inclusion as extras, including the world premiere of the theatrical rerelease. Add this to interviews, a stills collection (including photos, box art, movie posters, lobby cards, etc.) and tons of other stuff and you have the definitive package. Just look at what Grindhouse did with The Beyond. Will you ever need another Beyond disc? No, and after their Cannibal Holocaust DVD arrives you'll never need another Cannibal Holocaust disc either.

17. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Sounds very cool, any idea when this might be coming out? I hate waiting.

The Beyond disc does kick ass, one of my favs.

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

The Beyond

I just finished watching Beyond last night...it still rocks. I hope Zombie gets a LE from AB soon...

19. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Bob (Murawski, head of Grindhouse Releasing) is currently working on editing Sam Raimi's Spiderman so the disc is on hold until he's finished the job (same with I Drink Your Blood). Grindhouse is a labor of love, not a full time job.

Funny side note: Bob is using the soundtrack from Bird With The Crystal Plumage on the temp audio track on Spiderman and Sam REALLY likes it, so much he wants Danny Elfman's score to specifically resemble it...

20. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

SPIDERMAN!

Who wants SPIDERMAN, we want CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!! :D