Edge of the Axe

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by deplop cinema, Jun 6, 2007.

1. yaayeah just picked up a bootleg of this at the Chiller convention. can't wait to watch it. saw it waaaaay back in my early teens on an original vhs rented from West Coast Video. Had a great opening scene inside of a car wash. Anyone else have the pleasure of seeing this gem? I hope it holds up today.

2. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I saw this years ago. I remember the VHS had a picture of a hockey mask and I seem to remember enjoying the movie but I can't quite be sure. Let us know what you think of it now.

3. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

the killa was hot!

4. just watched it last night. SOOOOOO good. I can't believe this isn't up there with all the other lower key 80's slashers. Great rural locations, gooc production values, great camerawork, good story, awesome killings... The killer uses an axe exclusively and much to my surprise they dont cut away when the axe is about to slam into his victims. And it's not just one hack, its like 20 quick hardcore using all his strength hacks. they mustve had a great stunt axe cuz it doesnt bounce around at all, and he's really beating the shit out of the actors with it. He even slams it into one woman's head in one shot and it doesnt cut away. they definitely knew how to properly light and coordinate the killing scenes as to hide any flaws. highly recommended!!!

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

this movie is fun

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I have the VHS. Love this movie, but haven't checked it out since I first watched it which was when I was 12 or 13.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Didn't care for it. The opening kill in the car wash was good (however ridiculous), but the movie went downhill after that. It was nice seeing the camera not cut away from the axe hits, but the characters were so dull and sometimes annoying and the story has been done a million times before.

8. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I love this movie.One of my favorites.It is hard to believe that it hasn't got more recognition.I keep waiting for news that someone has picked it up for a DVD release but it has yet to happen so I am now on the hunt for another vhs copy.
    Anyone have any info as to why this hasn't been picked up for release or who even owns the rights?

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Interesting this thread should be bumped now, I just got this on VHS.

The interesting thing is the VHS I received appears to be a promotional VHS screener. The case itself is still shrink-wrapped, the label on the tape says it also includes trailers for Edge Of The Axe and No Safe Haven.

I will snap some pictures and post them later tonight. I thought it was an interesting little collectible.

I also own a legit promotional VHS screener of Blood Salvage (1990). I've had that one for a while though.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I was a little mixed on this, but I will agree with most of the praise above. The car wash kill at the start is awesome, the mask looks lifeless and frightful and pretty much every death scene is done with gory gusto. The problems come more in that something was probably lost in translation, given that this was a Spanish production shot in English, so a lot of the dialogue exchanges are either meaningless or awkwardly phrased. And what the hell is with that talking computer? For a shot on video flick, the production value is actually fairly high. Definitely worth checking out if you don't mind sifting through bizarre dialogue and potent cheese.

And the cover, man, how awesome:

[​IMG]

Anyone have a poster of that? Since it went right to video I'm not sure if any even exist, but I'd, um, kill to find one of those if they did!

11. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I am a fan of this one, although I never saw it during my VHS days. I picked up a copy at the last Monster Mania in CT a year or two ago through the VHSPS booth and enjoyed it very much. God bless those 80's slashers..we will never see cinema like that again.

12. CPT HOOK

Here are the pics of my screener VHS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That's pretty cool!

14. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Wow! That first shot not only brings back memories but clears something up as well. I always thought that was a hockey mask (even when I saw the movie) but now I can see that it's not.

15. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

That's a nice find HOOK.Was it pricey?

16. CPT HOOK

Not at all. $9! I ordered the VHS from amazon marketplace, and that is what I received.

I watched it last night. There's a "FOR SCREENING PURPOSES ONLY" watermark that pops up for a few seconds at the bottom of the screen every ten minutes or so. But it is not distracting or intrusive. My Blood Salvage screener is watermarked at the bottom through the entire film.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

So is this Japanese version of this flick a good score? Yes it's mine recently purchased no it's NOT for sale.

[​IMG]

18. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

This has got to be my most anticipated DVD release.Does anyone know who owns the rights?(I know I asked this before.)

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Ha! So funny you brought this thread up Dobby - I just watched this last night for the first time in a while. Great flick - why there is no speak of an official DVD release yet is absurd - I mean cmon Guy!

20. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I grabbed this same day I shit canned scam-pal. Used my roommates account to pay for it though. I have an ISO file of this that I play on my PS3. Really looking forward to this Japanese version. Still I wonder if the movie is in Spanish or English. I doubt at this point this film will ever see the day of light on DVD. Nobody or should I say majority on niche titles are on the fritz.