Edge of Tomorrow (2014) spoiler free review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jun 7, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
    Directed by Doug Liman

7.5/10
    I didn't really like the trailer for this film but decided to give it a go because of the good reviews and it stars the usually dependable Tom Cruise. The film is about an officer (Cruise) who finds himself caught in a time loop in a war with an alien race. His skills increase as he faces the same brutal combat scenarios, and his union with a Special Forces warrior (Emily Blunt) gets him closer and closer to defeating the enemy.
    The film is well made, with excellent effects, action sequences and a solid script. What I did not realize is that it would be intentionally and successfully funny as well which made it feel a little close to Groundhog Day than I was expecting. The comparison that it is Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers is not unwarranted but the film still feels original and fresh and should provide entertainment to anyone who takes the plunge.

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well thanks to terrible marketing this didn't too well at the American box office (better in foreign territories).
    It's a shame cos it's a great summer movie.

3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed this a lot. Solid action. Good effects. Intelligently handled premise. Just all around solid entertainment. It does borrow some beats from Groundhog Day and that one episode of Supernatural, but it does so in ways that are fun.

I think the biggest surprise for me was how well it worked as a Cruise vehicle. He's not an actor I like a lot. Even before his whole aliens-in-my-brain crazy, I was always put off by some perceived air of arrogance that I felt came out of him, going all the way back to Top Gun. But, with this role, he seems to be digging into that a bit as an actor and I think it helps make him a bit easier to relate to. It also seemed like he wasn't as intent at hiding either his height or his age as much as he has been in other roles. Granted, he still looks amazing at 50+, but the age shows around the eyes and they make no attempts to hide it. It's a little thing but I still found it interesting.

While I know it got hit pretty hard opening weekend, I think this one with have a pretty decent run once word of mouth spreads around a bit. It's bears a strong tonal similarity to Looper and I expect it will perform similarly.

4. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I really enjoyed this one too - it was surprisingly funny, and the jokes really worked well and were honestly funny.

I don't know if the ending actually made sense, but it felt good.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm dying (no pun intended) to see this one, but wasn't able to make it out opening weekend. Being the big Cruise fan that I am, my partner will be taking me to see this on Father's Day. It's a shame to see this movie have such positive reviews from critics and fans alike not do so well domestically. Come on people, smarten up and go out to see this, as we need more quality smart summer blockbusters out there!

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I get it, though - personally, I had zero interest in seeing this based on the trailers. I would have lumped it in with other recent sci-fi flicks like After Earth or Oblivion (neither of which I've seen) and forgotten about it. But now the good reviews continue to trickle in, and word-of-mouth seems to be growing. I may actually check this out. If not in the theater, then when it hits netflix...I still need to see X-Men, and finding the time to see a movie in the cinema these days is painfully difficult.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Great review.
    Something I noticed - so many movies look like this (lotsa blue and gray, fuzzy photography, lens flare, ect.) one doesn't really need an expensive, clear, tricked out TV with these bland looking latest movies that feature no more than 3 colors. What do you guys think of this trend? It's in many commercials that are not even trying to convey that post apocalyptic landscape or mood, either.
    I thought digital was supposed to make movies look good?

8. Anaestheus

This is a rant (mini-rant) I've been sitting on for a while, but it might as well go here.

One of the things that really pisses me off about the way Hollywood currently tracks "success" for a film is this whole attitude that only the opening weekend matters. All the opening weekend can tell you is how good the marketing campaign is vs. whatever else was happening that weekend. It bears no indication on whether a film will be popular or make a profit or really anything at all about the film itself. So, if opening weekend isn't good that film is a failure. While I think it's awesome that "Fault of the Stars" did well and will (once again) prompt Hollywood to look at the female demographic, it's no indicator that "Edge of Tomorrow" will be a flop.

Godzilla and Pacific Rim serve as better examples. Godzilla did great opening weekend but has had mixed reviews from critics and fans alike and dramatically dropped in revenue after the opening weekend. Pacific Rim was one of the top 20 grossing films last year internationally. But Godzilla is seen as a massive hit and Pacific Rim is a dismal failure. And only because of opening weekend receipts.

And all this serves to keep Hollywood from taking "risks" on new property and we'll just keep getting more sequels and reboots.

Which is just sad. Over the past few summers, it's been the new properties that I have enjoyed the most. But it's only going to be harder and harder for these to get made if Hollywood continues to have this skewed and short-sighted way of looking at things.

I guess the only thing we can do is take risks ourselves and try to see only new properties on opening weekend and wait a bit to see the sequels and rehashes.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

As a Cruise fan, I can even admit that the trailers weren't great, although I feel they got better with each one. It pains me to see you put Oblivion and After Earth in the same sentence though. I loved Oblivion! It was my favourite film of last year. Yes, it takes a bunch of ideas from other Sci-Fi flicks and blends them together, but it does it very well and creates a really interesting story that gives you a lot to discuss afterwards. Not to mention the visuals and score are outstanding!

I have been lucky the last few months and have been able to see several movies. Thank god for our families living so close. Mind you, other than movies, I don't get out that often.

Yeah it's unfortunate. The days up a movie sitting in the top 3 for months on end are over (Unless of course you are a children's movie titled Frozen). These days if you don't open big you will be gone in a few weeks. There is just too much competition and movies are no longer given a chance to grow. I think the problem with this film as it didn't attract the teen market, and they unfortunately own the box office. Either way, it's a shame to see an original film like this with high critical praise from critics and fans alike open so small. 22 Jump Street is going to destroy next weekend so it's going to be hard for it to gain too much money, at least domestically. Thank god Cruise has a huge foreign market though, so it may not end up being a bomb in the long run.

10. Anaestheus

A quick little thing that I forgot to add. I ended up seeing this in 3D because that was the only showing available at the time I was there. But, I forgot that it was in 3D. It adds nothing to the film. And I actually really like 3D when it's done well. It's not the mess that something like Alice in Wonderland was, but the film really doesn't benefit at all from the technology. So, end of that point, don't bother with the silly glasses.

But, I will say that it's worth seeing on the big screen.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize it was playing in 3D, apparently another pointless conversion.

12. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

What isn't in 3D these days? There are now 3 choices (or formats) to watch movies in now: IMAX 3D, Real-D 3D and regular 2D. So unless you check movie times before you head out and plan on being there for the regular showing you're stuck with paying extra for the gimmick. As for the film itself, well, I thought it was OK but the stuff that kept repeating became a little grating after a while. It was like watching the same film multiple times back to back. But overall I enjoyed it. Went to the the early morning showing in regular 2D so I only paid eight bucks.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

Great movie. I saw this last week. A late showing and it was only playing on Wednesday. I loved it. One of my favorite books is Replay where the main character dies and relives the second half of his life.

14. thing

thing Well-Known Member

crosses 100 million in the U.S Box office today finally.

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Warner Bros is attempting to re-brand by re-titling this as "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow."

via IGN

[​IMG]

the titling, marketing, trailers, etc. have all been pretty bad for this one. Not surprised it didn't find an appreciative audience--yet.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

changing the title of a film when word of mouth is steadily growing seems like a stupid fucking decision.