Edison's Frankenstein Showing in NJ

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Shannafey, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    That's why only one of us needs a copy, then we rip it and distribute it to the whole forum!!

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Indeed!

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Heh!

Well, that means someone has to fork out $25, and then give the film out to people for free.

You know it is a bit much. As anti-piracy as *I* am, and I've no problem with this jerk-off owner whose name we'll never remember. The movie belongs in a museum! We need to deal. Someone send me a DVD from my wish list, and I'll pick this one up :D

4. TATU

TATU Guest

They had Edison's Frankenstein on the Sci-Fi like once last year. I caught the last twelve minutes.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think it's only 12 minutes long ;)

6. mcchrist

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Here's a quote:

"Although only 975 feet long, and running a brief 12m:38s"

So, TATU - you missed the opening 38 seconds only. I don't expect that ruined the plot or anything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've e-mailed'em, but have yet to get a response.

The movie is in public domain after all (99.9% sure about that), so it's not really piracy if someone else gave away copies.

9. mcchrist

That's not really how it works though, the movie itself may be public domain, but the source materials aren't. He owns the source, he had the DVD manufactured, etc. Same reason why you just can't go out and copy word for word a version of Beowulf or something, because that's not your translation.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

True, a restoration maybe covered. Was the VHS release that website talked about a restoration or just a copy of the source? It'd be interesting to look this stuff up.

11. mcchrist

It doesn't matter if the VHS WAS just a copy from the source, the fact is that the VHS wasn't put out for public domain. It is still his. The only way this movie will go public domain at this point is if another print is found and the people who find it allow it for that kind of distribution. Or if it is found by a non-profit group or something. Or the surviving members of the family die and it ends up in those kinds of hands. As of now, any copy of the movie is copyrighted to this guy (I don't know his name), only because he's the owner of the only print.

12. Shannafey

Well, I still haven't gotten an email from them. I want to see this film and SO BAD!!

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I really think that just because you own the film on a reel doesn't automatically mean you have distribution rights, if it's in public domain it's pretty much up for grabs.

http://reason.com/9904/fe.co.mail.shtml

"Sinister and Something Weird are unusual among the outfits that sell public-domain videos because they transfer films to video themselves to maintain reproduction quality. Most sellers simply copy tapes bought from the companies that have done the legwork of tracking down obscure films. An irony not lost on industry players is that the same cheap, popular VCR technology that helped create their market in the first place also makes it easy for their tapes to be copied and resold by others. It's a sore point, but absolutely legal in the world of public-domain media."

'Copying is rampant in the business,' says Craig Ledbetter, who runs European Trash Cinema, which also does its own transfers. Originally started as a zine, ETC sells mostly foreign drive-in movie fare (e.g., Lonely Violent Beach, an Italian film about a couple terrorized by a biker gang), but also carries art films by directors such as Jean-Luc Godard. The firms that do their own transfers have responded to knock-off competitors in several ways. Some put their company logo in the bottom corner of the screen on their tapes. Others simply offer better service and cheaper prices."

This is the whole reason why this release of Frankenstein has a logo on it, it's also not something they want to shoot from the roof tops. How this applies to restorations or even re-editing of a film I don't know. It's pretty clear cut though that a straight up copy from the source is fair game.

14. mcchrist

That may be true. You aren't going to get in trouble for copying the film, but my point was that you can't legally licence the film for distribution. That would be like raiding a private collection, scanning a copy of an old painting and selling the print. You can't do that.

15. Shannafey

Got the email about ordering tonight. I want to order the thing this week. Damn email states it takes 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. This is really getting old!!

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep, got the e-mail. I'll be sending it out shortly, I can wait.

No, it's more like an owner of a private collection sends you a poster print of a work in public domain which you scan and place on your website. You can do that.

You'd need permission to copy or photograph someone else's property, this is true, but this is also universally true for any item owned by another, but once you're given a copy (or the actual property) there is nothing the seller can do.

How did we get on licensing? Nobody can license a work in public domain, that defeats the purpose of public domain. You can legally sell it, but you can't license it. You could sell the permission to use a physical form of your personal copy of the film, but I believe you can't license the use of the movie.

17. Shannafey

You guys, I just bought one off Ebay. A guy has a buttload up there and a few, he has a buy it now for $24.95 and $3.85 shipping. He has a good rating, and I figure it's a little cheaper, you can pay with paypal, and he won't make you wait 4 to 6 weeks. I had a bid for $19.50 going on one, then some dickhead beats me in the last 15 seconds. I really freaking hate that shit. Nobody touched my bid until that last few seconds. What an asswipe! I put a bid in at $23, figuring, if I didn't get it, I'd just buy one on buy it now. I will let you know when I get it.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Cool, I'm all over that. Any idea what the reserve may be set at?

19. Shannafey

Well, at $19.50, the reserve had been met, but most times it just gets close to $25 anyway, so that's why I bought one on the buy it now feature. I get sick of bothering, and as I said, that asshole last night stole it from me, in like the last 10 seconds. I hit refresh, and I had lost. Really pissed me off, since he only saved about a buck. He could have just bought one with the buy it now feature, but instead he had to screw me.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member