El Topo... any good?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by KillSwitch, Apr 8, 2003.

1. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

Just want those of you who have seen this to tell me your opinions on it? I want to buy this, but i just want some feedback on it foist. :)

Nick

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

This is an absolutely wonder mind-fuck if I've ever seen it. It really is off the wall and messes with your head big time. The bad news is that I've heard the picture quality on the DVD sucks big fat donkey dick, that's the only reason why I've stayed away from the disc so far.

3. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Yeah, the DVD quality is not that great but it is an upgrade from, say, a VHS copy. That being said, more work could have gone into it for sure. Still, it is a must see film and a surrealists wet dream. It is a mind-fuck for sure but a truly one of a kind film IMHO. In one night, I watched "El Topo", "The Holy Mountain" and "Fando & Lis" and it took me days to recover. :)

4. mcchrist

[​IMG]

I remember I once watched the entire series of Twin Peaks and I, Claudius over just one weekend, but that's another thread entirely...

5. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

i watched all 3 "sleepaway camps" backtoback, and all the "slumber party massacres"
    i dont think it was worth it,
    i also did that with the "alien" movies

6. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

I wonder if a better version of El Topo is going to be coming out soon? I might just order the one out now. :)

Nick

7. Inverted

Inverted Guest

If you can find this film, you buy it. That simple. El Topo and the Holy Mountain changed the way I think about movies and art. The DVDs and VHS versions all have their problems, but just get this movie whatever you do.

8. creamstick

creamstick Guest

The guy who did the sound effects for El Topo also did The Exorcist - pure trip of a movie.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Re: poop

I did that with the Godfather I, II & III.

10. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

Re: Re: poop

I can't wait to do that with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, all the extended versions though. Weeeeee!!

Nick

I am definitely ordering El Topo. I've heard only good things about it. :)

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

:fire:

I haven't seen it in ages, but from what little I can remember I believe the term "scared for life" comes to mind ;)

12. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

Re: Re: Re: poop

perpetual hell

13. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

Re: Re: Re: poop

perpetual hell

14. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The only DVD that I found on the net is the R0 PAL disc (just like "The Holy Mountain"). Is there an NTSC version? The PAL disc is also full frame but "The Holy Mountain" is 2.35:1. Does anyone know if "El Topo" is supposed to be full frame?

15. mcchrist

**raises eyebrow**

imdb.com has El Topo listed at 1.85:1.

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

anyone got a review or wants to sum up holy mountain for me in a short post? im intrigued as ive heard it mentioned a few times...

as for long movie stints... i watched the entire 24 series 1 in a row... was a bit tierd after that one ;)

did the same thing with buffy season 3 and 4, and angel season 1 and 2...

cant really find many films that play well back to back so i try to space them out... lasts longer and gives you a chance to really appreciate them anyway

17. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

This is just a summary of what happens--what it all means is open to endless interpretations.

A man dressed in black (El Topo, which means "The Mole") is travelling through the desert on a horse with a little boy. They find a town whose inhabitants have been slaughtered save for one whose life hangs by a thread. El Topo puts the man out of his misery and then finds the men responsible and kills them.

He later finds a woman suffering abuse at the hands of similar thugs and kills their leader, then takes the woman and leaves the boy behind. She convinces him to seek out and kill the four master gunslingers of the desert. After he succeeds she betrays him with another woman and leaves him to die. El Topo is saved by a a group of dwarves and freaks who take him to the mountain where they're imprisoned (only a few of them can handle the climb down). After what appears to be decades in a coma, El Topo awakens and decides to repay his saviors by digging a tunnel out of the mountain.

He and the dwarf woman who cared for him during his coma venture into the nearby town to raise money for supplies by putting on a sort of slapstick street show. The boy El Topo abandoned, now a grown man, recognizes him and wants to kill him, but El Topo convinces him to allow him to finish his work before killing him.

I won't spoil the rest for you, but trust me, the movie is really out there and a must see. The same goes for The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre and Fando & Lis. You can't go wrong with any of them.

A great website on Jodorowsky is http://www.hotweird.com/jodorowsky

I also went Googleing last week for news on Alejandro Jodorowsky's sequel to El Topo and found a few tidbits here and there from Spanish language sites. Though Jodorowsky won't say how far into the movie he is (or even if shooting has started), he did say the project is "very advanced" and that Marilyn Manson will play Cain. Johnny Depp was going to play Abel, but had to drop out as shooting kept getting delayed (which happened about four years ago when Sean Penn was going to play Cain). The movie should be released somewhere (though I doubt in the U.S.) in 2004. Abel will be played by Stuart something or other (I forgot his name, he's not well known). A Mexican production company called Titan is financing it.

18. mcchrist

I'm still doubtful whether thisn will ever get finished at all. Jodorowsky has been talking about it for years, but nothing concrete except some concept and promo art is available.

19. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Here a mini review from http://www.losman.com

"EL TOPO (1971) MEXICO
    The gunfighter El Topo ("The Mole") and his young son ride through a desert to a village, whose inhabitants have been massacred. Bandits are nearby, torturing and killing the survivors. El Topo rescues a woman (Mara), who leads him on a mission to find and defeat the four master gunmen of the desert. Leaving his son with a group of monks, El Topo and Mara complete the mission, accompanied by a mysterious woman in black. The women leave El Topo wounded in the desert, where he is found by a clan of deformed people who take him to the remote cavern where they live. Awakening years later, he goes with a dwarf woman to a nearby town, promising to dig a tunnel through which the cave-dwellers can escape. They find the town run by a vicious sheriff and home to a bizarre religious cult. El Topo's son, now a man, is a monk in the town. The completion of the tunnel leads El Topo, the townspeople, and the cave-dwellers to a bloody and tragic end.

Obviously for those who felt The Unforgiven was not a disturbing enough western. "

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I just read a bunch of reviews for Jodorowsky's flicks and I'm massively interested. From what I can tell, FANDO & LIS is the only one available in R1/0 NTSC. Is it a good disc? I might pick it up. And is there any news of EL TOPO, THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, or SANTA SANGRE making their way to R1/0 NTSC (I know AB UK is putting out SS - bastards! release it over here!)?