El Topo... any good?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by KillSwitch, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

sounds cool, ta for the mini review! think ill have to grab this now, theres an el topo / mountain god double dvd at xploited... those good versions to buy?

2. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I have the "Fando and Lis" DVD and I like it. One complaint that I have is that the subtitles sometimes blend into the background.

The extras are pretty good:
    - Audio commentary by Jodorowsky
    - La Constellation Jodorowsky (documentary - very interesting)
    - the insert is a reproduction of handout given out at the original screening.

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

But is that the only one on NTSC R1/0?

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I still haven't goten the Fando & Lis DVD, I've been putting it off for a long time (I don't know why, its a fucked up flick) Maybe my next purchase!

5. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

Yes, Fando & Lis is the only Jodorowsky DVD on Region 1 NTSC. It's excellent and worth buying for the commentary alone because it's so rare to get a chance to read, much less hear Jodorowsky talk about films. The documentary may be somewhat disappointing to some because it focuses more on Jodorowsky's tarot reading, comic books and his "psychomagic," what he calls the type of therapy he practices in France. The therapy workshop footage is actually pretty interesting and, in my opinion, gives some insight into his films.

El Topo and The Holy Mountain will be released on R1 NTSC in the U.S., but no date has been given. Allen Klein's daughter Jody has finally agreed to release them. Santa Sangre is also getting a release according to some rumors, but I don't know who owns the rights except that it's not Klein. Republic released the VHS and laserdisc versions, but I don't know who holds the DVD rights.

That El Topo is a bootleg and if it's the optically censored Japanese version, I'd say no, it's not a good buy. But if that's your only shot at seeing it, I'd get it. (I'd still get the PAL DVD if you have a code free player).

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I think my most valuable possesion (personally) is the El Topo book that came out in the 1970's (the author escapes me) But it includes a "screenplay" of sorts (How Jodorowsky put his thoughts to paper is a fascinating look period) with many many stills from the movie. the second half of the book was a transcript of an interview Jodorowsky had with a small group during that time period when he discusses the movie and the thought processes in great detail. One of the greatest books I've ever purchased, and I discovered it by accident used ($2!!!)

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Sounds cool Mcchrist!

8. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I don't believe that either the "El Topo" or "Holy Mountain" DVD's that are available at Xploited are bootlegs. As far as I have heard, they are legitimate import PAL releases from a DVD company in Italy, called Raro I believe. The DVD's are nicely packaged and come with detailed information booklets in English and Italian. While the "El Topo" DVD is fullframe and can use some restoration, the picture is still sharp and more then adequate for now. "The Holy Mountain" DVD is a better presentation in that it looks a touch better and is 2.35:1 widescreen. Neither of these DVD's are optically censored. There is no "fogging" at all.

I sure would like a link to the article that states that both "El Topo" and "The Holy Mountain" are getting R1 releases in the future, because I have not read anything that indicates that at all. "Fando & Lis" is the only R1 that I know is available and as far as "Santa Sangre" goes, I've only heard of an R2 PAL releases coming. BTW, the "Fando & Lis" DVD is a good buy IMHO.

I have noticed that there are DVD-R's available for Jodo's films here, if you can't play PAL or R2. As a matter of fact, Crimson Cult Video has a "good plus" DVD-R of the film that is widescreen, uncut and with English subtitles. Might be better then the Raro DVD and cost's only between $10-$15 as opposed to the $30 the import DVD goes for. Here is the link:

http://crimsoncultvideo.biz/PeddleGold/peddlegold.htm

They have it listed by alphabet under "Spaghetti Westerns", though the film is more then just a SW. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2003
  9. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Bruce Holecheck (User Id "bruce h") has posted this info in the past. Here's a link to one thread:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7160

Perhaps he can shed some more light on these upcoming releases.

10. cread

cread Guest

As reported by over at Mobius, the rarovideo (Italian) releases of El Topo and the Holy Mountain are 'unofficial' (i.e. unlicenced). Both are taken from bad (but watchable) sources; 'Holy Mountain' is widescreen and unfogged but reportedly cut (footage missing includes the infamous castration scene towards the end; details at http://www.mhvf.net/forum/cult/posts/13557.html). Personally, I'm going to hold on for a better release.
    The version of El Topo I have seen previously (uk version) was full-frame and didn't appear to be cropped (at least not distractingly so). Could be open matte.

11. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I'm not really sure I understand what makes the Raro DVD's "unofficial". Are they "unofficial" releases because they are imports or just because Mobius says so? They aren't "official" releases in Italy that were imported here? It get's confusing actually.

As for the R1 releases supposedly coming, like anything else these days, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

12. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

I think they're unofficial because Raro did not pay to obtain the best film elements available to make the discs. They may have used prints obtained from third parties who don't own the film.

If I got my hands on a 35mm print of, say, Cannibal Holocaust and I had the resources to have a few thousand DVDs pressed from my 35mm print and had a professional printing company make the packaging and then I was able to get online retailers to sell it, the product would look legit to everyone, but would still be a bootleg.

As for the R1 releases, Bruce has never posted BS on this site, so I believe him. It makes sense. However much he may hate Jodorowsky, Allen Klein is foremost a greedy son of a bitch who can't pass on a potential goldmine. There are many lesser films made by directors with smaller followings than Jodorowsky that sell extremely well on DVD.

13. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

el topo ... any good ?

does a fat dog fart.......?

is j-lo a cum dumpster.........?

el topo is definetly worth a look .

:banana:

14. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

I'd like to make a deposit!

15. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

im sure she'd love your little roll of pennies

16. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I rented the Japanese video of this last night and I loved it. It has a lot of similarities to "The Holy Mountain". I really hope that we get more Jodorowsky on R1 DVD.

17. creamstick

creamstick Guest

In Scotland, we prefer the term 'Spunk Bucket'

18. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

There is a site that has DVD-R versions of "El Topo", "The Holy Mountain", and "Santa Sangre": http://www.revok.com.

I'm tempted to order them because, let's face it, these films may never get an R1 release. Shit, they don't have a legitimate release anywhere.

The drawback is the price: $25US each. They offer a buy 3 get one free and they have Cronenberg's "Crimes of the Future" as well. Hmmmm.... tempting. Should I hold out? I need guidance!

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ahhh damn. If they were like $15 I'd snag them in a second (of course the next day nice R1 releases would be announced, but I digress). $25 each is too much though, IMO. Hell I try not to pay that much for legitamate (sp?) releases these days.

20. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Crimson Cult has an uncut, letterboxed DVD-R of "El Topo" with English subs for $10.

http://crimsoncultvideo.biz/PeddleGold/peddlegold.htm

Look in "Spaghetti Westerns" to find it. The titles are alphabetized.