El Topo... any good?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by KillSwitch, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Dude that's awesome! Thanks! I'm ordering FANDO & LIS either today or tomorrow and if I like it I'll definitely get EL TOPO. I couldn't find HOLY MOUNTAIN or SANTA SANGRE there though, do they not have them?

2. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I couldn't find "The Holy Mountain" or "Santa Sangre" either at Crimson Cult and their title search function doesn't seem to work. A company speacializing in DVD-R's called "On The Edge Video" has all three films. Both "El Topo" and "Holy Mountain" are from widescreen LD's in English language. Not sure about "Santa Sangre" though. The one drawback is that they are more expensive then CCV with their DVD-R's going for $20 a pop. Here is the link anyway in case u want to check it out.

http://www.otevideo.com/index.html

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Thanks for the heads up on CCV!

4. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Your welcome guys. I just bought a couple of Spaghetti Western DVD-R's from CCV and I was very happy with the service, speed and the product.

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

just ordered el topo, anthropophagous and emanuelle and the last cannibals from CCV, was going to wait for a proper release of emanuelle and the last cannibals but bugger it, this is cheap :) we'll see how it goes

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

They have a bunch of stuff I'm looking at. We'll see once I get some cash this week.

7. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i take it that by dvd-r they mean that these are single layer movie only pirate(bootleg) releases yea?

8. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Thanks, dvdasia, for the information on the two sites. I also came across this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/gore/

They have "El Topo" and "The Holy Mountain" available with box art. They also have "Santa Sangre" without box art. They go for $12 with box art and $10 without.

I think that I'm going to pick up these films from somewhere. I emailed TrueGore about the versions that they carry but I haven't heard back yet (El Topo is the Spanish version). I know that www.revok.com has the Japanese LD versions with box art. I'm so confused.

9. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

that first one is just for videos yea? they dont do dvds? im still looking for a place that has holy mountain

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

aeon - let us know how the discs are. I'm really interested in EL TOPO so if the disc is at all decent then I'm sure I'll snag it soon (ANTHROPOPHAGOUS too). But also, if you find cheap good quality English DVD-Rs of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN or SANTA SANGRE post back here.

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

judging from comments EL TOPO is good quality but Anthropophagous is a little worse... they havent charged my visa yet so im guessing its still gonna be a few weeks till they get here but i'll let you know when they do

12. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I ordered "El Topo", "The Holy Mountain", "Santa Sangre", and "Crimes of the Future" on DVD-R from Revok. It was the best deal for me (in Canada) especially since they have the buy 3 get one free deal. Besides, I wanted the box art as well. :)

El Topo and The Holy Mountain are from the Japanese LDs so they'll have the optical fogging, which sucks.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

FANDO & LIS is really weird. I can't decide if I liked it or not. Honestly when I just watched the film I didn't have the slightest clue as to what was going on most of the time, but the commentary (which is very good) helped me out on a lot of parts. It does a great job of creating its own little world. And I swear, this is the definition of "surrealism on film". I'm eager to check out EL TOPO now, so we'll see what happens.

14. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

"Fando & Lis" is very strange indeed. I can see why it caused a stir when first released. "El Topo" has it's share of bizarre images and may be a "Spaghetti Western on acid" offshoot. If you really want to see "surrealism on film", you have got to see "The Holy Mountain". WOW!!!!

15. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

I got El Topo yesterday in the mail. :) I only watched the opening bit. Will watch the rest tomorrow sometime. :)

Nick

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i just got an email from crimson cult video that my El Topo, Anthropophagous and Emanuelle and the last cannibals have shipped! woo! will probably take like 2 weeks to get here tho so im not holding my breath :)

if i enjoy El Topo ill shell out for the vastly more expensive Holy Mountain (cant find it for anything less than $25 unfortunately)

17. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Just read a pretty funky review of Anthropophagous

an awesome review of El Topo... man that film looks awesome, cant wait

and lastly i found a review of Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals that promises gore to a similar level as Cannibal Holocaust, combined with gratuitous sex! how can i go wrong?!? :)

man i cant wait for these dvds to reach me.. although after the review i read of emanuelle and the last cannibals im start to think that maybe i shoulda waited for the SS release.. worst case scenario ill sell the bootleg on ebay and buy the SS release.. heres to hoping these bootlegs are good quality! :)

18. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Aeon, SBS occasionally screens Holy Mountain (and El Topo & Santa Sangre as well), so you might be well advised to wait and check it out next time it airs before ordering it. I really dug El Topo, but fast-forwarded thru most of Holy Mountain.

19. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Andrew, they just arrived in the mail, ill post something in the general forum

20. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I've just received "El Topo", "The Holy Mountain", "Sanata Sangre", and "Crimes of the Future" from Revok. The box art is cool and the disc is nicely labled. The video quality is that of LD so I'm pretty happy. The only think missing is a nice menu screen... oh well.