Encounters of the Spooky Kind?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Suicide, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Just browsing Netflix and I came across this 1980 Sammo Hung movie, which I'd never heard of. The reviews described it as a sort of Evil Dead Kung-Fu movie, which sounds really cool, but has anyone seen this? I'd like to hear some opinions before I rent it.

2. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Yeah i remember this one, its a riot! think im gonna have to get this one... i swear there was hopping vampires and lots of supernatural oddities, its been a long time since ive seen it and im pretty sure theres a sequel too but if i remember rightly this is damn good shit! :D

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Hopping vampires rule! I've always wanted to go to a goth club as a hopping vampire. Just hop around.

Encounters of the Spooky Kind is a fun flick, definitly worth checking out. There is a sequel, but I've never seen it.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's kinda fun. The first half is more Evil Dead-ish (even though it came out 3 tears BEFORE Evil Dead!) where Sammo is proving his manhood by staying in a shack fighting off demons or vampires or whatever.

Second half is all Kung-Fu. Good if you're a fan of Sammo Hung though.

5. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I love this movie. It's the one with the exploding Chicken in it, and Sammo Hung pretending to be possesed by a Monkey ghost. Great silly fun in the Mr. Vampire mould.

6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I own this one on DVD, and its great. as mentioned above, the first half is basically comedy, as Sammo has to spend a few nights in a haunted shack, but the end fight scene is pretty amazing and fun. Theres some cool sacrafice/spell casting scenes. Its a really great movie if youre a fan of the old school, cheesy martial arts

too bad the sequal has vanished off the face of the earth forever:eek2: really hard to even find info on it...

7. Lindane

Lindane Guest

Iv'e got the sequel on vhs. I think the sequel is just as good. It's called Spooky Encounters.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Watched this for the first time today on blu-ray. It was an excellent transfer with some really nice choreography. What surprised me the most though was seeing a scene from Evil Dead 2. Encounter of the Spooky Kind was filmed in 1980 and in one scene Sammo Hung's arm gets possessed. While he is fighting with his arm it grabs his head and makes him do a front flip. I'd love to know if Raimi saw this film before having Bruce Campbell do the identical thing in Evil Dead 2. There is also a scene earlier in the film where Hung pins a hand to the floor with a knife which also reminded me of Evil Dead 2. I wish I had liked the film more but it had too much bad comedy for my liking. Nice choreography, some cool monsters, and even a little gore at the beginning of the film.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Maybe. But being able to do a back flip is a unique skill that Bruce has been able to do since high school. I'm pretty sure Raimi put that into at least one of his short films; maybe even the Cabin in the Woods. And many of the ED2 possessed hand sequence gags came from a parody short they did as kids about the Hamburger Helper. Everything was there for Raimi and Co. to do the possessed hand routine. And possessed hands have been a horror staple for a few decades at that point. So seeing EofSK wouldn't be required. I'd really like to see it now though.

But who knows. Frankly Equinox is really close in plot to Evil Dead. A lot of the same beats. And that's a less common story archetype than disembodied hands. So I have my suspicions that they're not above stealing a few good ideas and making it their own.

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Wow, this is an old thread from back when I used to start threads a lot. I finally watched this last year and didn't love it as much as I hoped. I loved the horror stuff, but I wasn't too into the kung fu, which is mostly what this is. I've liked plenty of martial arts stuff, but I've always hated when they do any kind of animal style fighting. So I was ready to scream by the end of this when he's doing the different animal styles.

I think it also didn't help that I had watched so much other Hong Kong horror stuff like this by the time I had finally gotten around to seeing this one. I got kind of hooked on the Mr. Vampire style movies and the countless knockoffs, which are more nuts and have more horror scenes than Encounters.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

There is a new blu-ray box set of the four Mr. Vampire films along with Vampire Vs Vampire (One Eyebrow Priest). I'll be buying this when I see a little price break.

https://www.yesasia.com/global/mr-v...ed-edition-hong/1073064297-0-0-0-en/info.html

X-human likes this.