Entrails of a Virgin

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, May 6, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I knew what to expect - thelurid cover art looks like something from the cannibal era, and the marketing blurb talks sex and gore. I'd read some comments elsewhere too, and the usual "shocking", "bloody" comments showed up. Basically, I thought I was about to experience a nice little exploitation film.

And I did, I suppose. But this was a case that I never really got what I thought I was going to get. This is basically a slasher film, a slasher film with all the lightweight mostly implied sexual activities occuring between naked people (rather than dressed fumbles). Being japanese fogging is in place, but really, they don't leave too much to the imagination.

Still, don't be thinking this is tittilating in any way, because this japanese sex at some of its strangest. It's basically men lording it up over the women, getting sexual favors for career advancement (which we know won't happen), strange acts I won't go into here, and dubbing panting/havy breaths that sound like a cat swinging in a noose during a rain storm.

The filmmakers included an hilarious fellatio sceneat the top of some staurs that ought to raise a laughter or two, but mostly they succeed in making sex boring, which is quite something given the amount of nudity involved. Still, the aforementioned humor lightens things up - as does the scene where one of the men is elected to display his wrestling talents, but having a fight with one of the women - taking her down to her stockings and panties first... of course. Bizarre.

So it's a sex film? Well, yeah, basically. There is a monster thing that goes around raping women every now and again. It doesn't like men much either, but it settles for cracking their skulls. If you're sen Stendahl Syndrome then you kind of know what to think, and the proportions on display.

This film simultaneously disapointed and cut a new swathe of exploitation. I wasn't sure what to make of it to be honest. To think, I watched the follow up right afterwards....

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Watched this dvd once, and once was more than enough. It also inspired me to stay away from the follow-up, Beautiful Woman.-'PILEDRIVER!!'

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I thought this movie had alot of potential to be fun and honestly, I really liked the idea of it all. The fogging just totally ruins anything it could have been though. I think without the fogging it would be one of my favorites.

4. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

PILEDRIVER! it is worth it just for that scene alone. Also, I've read the sequel is much better.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's not, by the way. It's not a lot better. It has a better monster, that's about it. I started a thread on that one too. But it'd be pushing it for me to claim it's "much better". ;)

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

'Beautiful Woman' was pretty good I felt. I found it for $7 at work and picked it up, and I don't regret it. Now as for how often or frequently I'll watch it....

7. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

awesome trash!

8. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i agree the fogging sucked. but luckily i was able to kinda ignore it and enjoy it.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Don't forget, you're not missing anything with that fogging. If you read the liner notes they explain that the actresses were wearing tape around their, erm, genitals. What is being obscured is the tape. Even without the fogging, you wouldn't have gotten hardcore shots.........

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

This got a revisit tonight. I knew what to expect, of course, so this time my experience was better (there was nothing likely to disapoint me).

As I hinted at in my original post, these are best approached as out and out comedies. In fact, there were a few times during the running time when I really was laughing out loud. Thinking about it, this was surely how they were intended to come across. The gore is still rather pathetic, but the sex really is worth it for the laughs. The post dubbed moans and groans are out-of-this-world funny, let alone some of the things they get up to (piledriver!) And when one of the characters gets, well, horny - you really have some great treats in store (you won't believe what she finds in the woods).

The opening sequence even tries its hands at some arty cuts and edits.

You know, as entertainment I actually found this really benefited from a second viewing. I enjoyed it a lot more this time. Not sure if I'm supposed to admit to such things, but there ya go. This film is pretty damn funny, and if you own it and found it a little weak first time through, give it another go. This time, be looking for the jokes.

11. Friedemeyer

Friedemeyer New Member

Loved the "Main Menu" page from both DVD's.
    The popping eyeballs from Virgin and the continuous loop from Beautiful Woman!
    Good job, Synapse films!

12. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Ah......... love the girl that fucks herself with the severed arm........ all class.