Enzo G. Castellari and Blue Underground

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

After watching the supplements on the (SS) Zombi 2 DVD,I got curious about the man's work.I searched the web and discovered:
    www.enzogcastellari.com .
    I knew his name because of the Giallo he made,Cold Eyes Of Fear (Which I have yet to see).
    I'm mainly focused on Gialli at the moment and trying to get as much as possible,but I'm also getting interested in Italian Crime and Spaghetti Western.Especially after watching some of the trailers.
    Anyway while browsing his(?) site I discovered that several of his movies will see a release by Blue Underground very soon!I checked the BU site but couldn't find anything.
    Here's what Castellari has to say about it:
    So I guess that's good news.Haven't seen any of his films yet I've read many great things about the man and his movies.This is a nice way for me (and you) to start discovering.

2. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

But Media blaster has announced NEW BARBARIANS with Enzo commentary as well. whats up with that?

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Keoma! So good! :)

4. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

i love "the new barbarians,"
    i've been waiting a long time for it on DVD

5. Dwhots

Dwhots New Member

Cold Eyes Of Fear is not really a giallo at all. It isn't a bad film though, more of a crime, double-cross caper. Great Moriconne score.

6. Crystal Plumage

I just taped it last night from German television.Checked it and it's widescreen.Only flaw would be the terrible German dubbing but I guess I'll survive.

7. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

COLD EYES OF FEAR is really more of an Italian exploitation version of DESPERATE MOMENTS than a giallo. I like it, but don't expect it to be something it's not. The best version I know of is Redemption/Image's DVD release.

Blue Underground sub-licensed / traded THE NEW BARBARIANS to Media Blasters during the negotiations of their ZOMBI 2 deal. Blue Underground's Castellari box set (including HIGH CRIME, THE BIG RACKET, STREET LAW and THE HEROIN BUSTERS) is coming in 2005.

Another recommended Castellari DVD is Media Blasters' 1990: THE BRONX WARRIORS. I'd hold off on purchasing its sequel, ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX, as a better edition than the ones currently available is on its way.

8. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

Allan Bryce's / Darkside magazine's double feature DVD Devil's Nightmare / Cold Eyes of Fear is anamorphic. I made comparisons between it and Redemption release and the picture quality is very similar but little sharper on the Darkside disc.

The release is R2 Pal, cover says region free Pal.

Attached Files:

9. bruce h

The Darkside release is derived from the masters Redemption created, which are not anamorphic transfers. This means the anamorphic flagging is faked and offers no increased resolution with its "16x9" status. Either way, you’re right. They're comparable so in the end one is just as good as the other. (And with the Darkside release you DO get two flicks and some extras, so I guess it actually is the better deal, assuming you have the equipment to play it. However, it is worth noting that the domestic Redemption release of DEVIL’S NIGHTMARE does include the original French language track which is worth a listen due to its use of alternate music cues.)

10. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Does this mean two releases of New Barbarians as well, or are the rights now exclusively held by Media Blasters?

11. DVDnightmare

DVDnightmare Guest

Can't wait for that Castellari Boxset from Blue underground...Keoma is a total cracker of a flick, and no doubt his Polizie stuff will crack at the same lunatic pace!

12. Crystal Plumage

Not sure if it's a boxset.Guess not.BUT it would be nice to see another Spaghetti Western Collection including Castellari's westerns (have yet to buy/see the first one) and a Eurocrime Collection.I just know BU will make it good.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

THE NEW BARBARIANS was at Best Buy today for $14.99. Surprised to see a SS title the day it's out, but there were 2 copies.

14. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Same here, 2 copies, 14.99

After I left, 1 copy 14.99.

15. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Let us know how this is. I really, really enjoyed AFTER THE FALL OF NEW YORK (dare I say, perhaps even more than ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK?), but I really did not like THE BRONX WARRORS at all. I'm hoping the latter was a fluke, because I'm really interested in checking out THE NEW BARBARIANS and all of those Castellari films coming from BU next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2004
  16. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Wow, what cheesy goodness. I really dug this one. I had seen this years ago but didn't remember too much.

Video looks good, I'd rate it about a 3/5. Audio is pretty decent. Extras are light, the Williamson interview is a 5 minute highlight from the Bronx Warriors disc.

Overall, definitely worth a look.

17. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I posted some screen shots @ my website for those parties interested in taking a look.

18. Progger

Progger Guest

My video tape of THE NEW BARBARIANS was trashed, so I replaced it with Brentwood's Future Cops set (as WARRIORS OF THE WASTELAND). The set includes more Italian flics....HANDS OF STEEL and BRONX EXECUTIONER. The Brentwood disc is no better than the video tape other than the fact that the video is in a landfill by now. However, I am looking forward to the Media Blasters upgrade as this is a fun movie. I respect them for managing to include interview material with George Eastman (2019), I hope he provided something for NEW BARBARIANS.

19. bruce h

Worth noting that HIGH CRIME is no longer part of BU's Castellari box set.

Fans of AFTER THE FALL OF NEW YORK should pick up Shriek Show's ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK, because in the interview featurette Sergio Martino discusses it at length. Also, on Shriek Show's MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY disc Michael Sopkiw goes over the film. Both DVDs are highly recommended.

20. Crystal Plumage

Keeping the thread alive!

So when do you think the Castellari movies will be released?
    I recently watched Keoma in English for the first time (only watched it in German previously) and I liked his sense of action.
    It's a pity BU doesn't give us more info on their upcoming/announced releases.
    They even stopped providing trailers.
    Anyway this thread will be around if the movies appear.I'll see to it!:D