Escape from New York (Scream Factory) reviews

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Apr 9, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

3. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

haha, well we have one saying the transfer is better, one saying the transfer is different but about the same quality and now one saying it is worse looking than the 2010 transfer

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Who do we believe?? I have it on pre-order and I'm getting it no matter.

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Me too. I also pre-ordered Ghoulies 1 & 2 double feature which both come out the same day.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Mine's here:

[​IMG]

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

:banana: nice!

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched it last night.

I've actually never owned a copy of Escape From New York. Last time I saw it was a VHS rental as a kid, and I remember thinking it was kind of boring. But now that I'm older and have more of an appreciation for Carpenter, I was really excited to check it out again.

Unfortunately, it still didn't win me over. I loved Carpenter's score and Dean Cundey's cinematography, but the rest was a bit dull. Just Kurt Russell wandering around for 90 minutes. I kept hoping it'd be like Assault, where once it gets moving it doesn't stop until the end, but unfortunately it never took off. It's easily my least favorite Carpenter film from the time between Assault On Precinct 13 thru They Live. I'd even say I had more fun with Vampires and Ghosts Of Mars!

And let's be honest: for a movie called Escape From New York, there's about as much New York here as in Friday The 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan.

As for the disc, I thought it looked great. But I'd be the wrong person to ask, since I've never seen the previous blu-ray. This was my first time seeing it in it's OAR. Shout must have listened to all the complaints about compression, because the movie gets its own disc here. The only extra on disc one is the three commentaries.

I was a bit surprised they gave the extras their own disc, because there really isn't that much here. All in all, it amounts to about 90 minutes worth of material. You'll find more extras crammed onto their single disc releases of Witchboard, the Pumpkinhead movies, Class Of 1984, The Howling, Bad Dreams / Visiting Hours, etc, so I have to believe this was done to avoid compression.

As for the extras themselves, they were pretty underwhelming. The highlights are easily the ones carried over from the MGM DVD, their Return To Escape From New York featurette and the original opening scene. Fortunately, MGM's Return featurette from 2003 managed to get all the major people involved.

The Shout Factory extras don't really bring much to the table. The only actor they got was Joe Unger, whose one scene got deleted. Since he isn't in the finished film, he doesn't really have much to say. The highlight of Scream's extras is easily the 10 minute interview with on-set photographer Kim Gottlieb-Walker. But 10 minutes wasn't enough! She a terrific interviewee with a treasure trove of great personal stories from working on the film. I'd love to have her sit down for a full 90-minute documentary where she just talks about her entire stint working with Carpenter and Debra Hill. I definitely need to pick up her book ASAP.

It doesn't look like the MGM blu-ray has any extras at all. I've never seen it, so I can't compare the PQ, but I'd guess if you had to choose between the two, Scream Factory's disc would be a no-brainer. Their new extras are a bit lackluster, but at least they retained the terrific extras from the old MGM Special Edition DVD.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

12. thing

thing Well-Known Member

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Your not alone in disliking the film. It does nothing for me either. I was expecting more seeing as Carpenter has a pretty solid catalog under his belt, but like you say, it's basically Kurt Russell wandering around for 90 minutes. An easy pass for me.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Nice to see I'm not alone. I don't get all the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK love. I love the genre and the cast but that film bored me to tears. I always assumed a lot of its popularity came from it being one the coolest looking boxes on the shelf back in the VHS days.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

When I think about what I love most about this film, the score (https://youtu.be/f1JYDmo19to) and Adrienne Barbeau's outfit spring to mind.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

You no longer surprise me with the stuff you dislike. I just roll my eyes and assume its just the menopause talking.

17. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

:lol: EFNY is better than 90% of the shit out there now, I'll rewatch that more than any of the new shit.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The score if pretty good, as is the case with a lot of Carpenter's work. Even though she doesnt do much for me I can't disagree that Adrienne Barbeau's tits are nice in the film too lol.
    Yes because I can't have my own opinion if it differs from yours :rolleyes:

20. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

It's funny about the lens flare comment. I was thinking the same thing when watching it a few days ago. It was the older MGM blu-ray, and honestly I thought it looked pretty damn good. I've always enjoyed how dark the film is. I mean that literally, although the subject matter is also rather grim. My main concern with the new disc is that is seems much too bright.