Eurocrime...for me?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

With the upcoming two eurocrime films by NoShame (Gambling City & Almost Human) I'm getting a little bit interested in this genre.
    I have only seen Fulci's Contraband but didn't enjoy it that much,was kind of boring IMHO.
    Is Contraband representative for the genre?

Movies I'm a bit interested in:
    Revolver (Sollima)
    Gambling City (Martino)
    Almost Human (Lenzi)

PS:I watched the trailers for the NoShame releases but they couldn't really convince me.Although Anita Strindberg looked gorgeous :sperm:

2. de rossi

de rossi Guest

Revolver was better than expected and Almost Human is excellent, one of the best movies ever... Period.

Have´nt seen Gambling City but i liked Martinos Violent Professionals so i´ll buy it some day for sure.

My eurocrime recomendations:

Almost Human
    Squadra Volante (Emergency Squad)
    Violent City
    Revolver
    Fear in the City

3. Crystal Plumage

Thanks de rossi,I guess I'll first buy those movies I listed just to make sure.I like all three director's works so I might be in for a treat.

4. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

Almost Human is really great... It's like Lenzi's masterpiece! Tomas Milian is excellent in it and the Morricone score is one of my favorites... If you must get one crime flick, get Almost Human. Lenzi made alot of these crime flicks, this is probably his darkest one...
    His other films are very different but still pretty entertaining to me, just really bad-ass cop action... I especially like The Tough Ones, The Cynic, the Rat & the Fist & Free Hand for a Tough Cop... I really need to check out Syndicate Sadists...

I thought Revolver was pretty awesome too... Sollima's stuff is alot classier than Lenzi or Fulci... Although I thought the ending in this one was somewhat confusing...

I haven't seen Gambling City but I'm definitely looking forward to it. I must say I didn't love Violent Professionals though, it was just OK... I love Martino's gialli but I don't think crime is a genre he does very well...

Then there's Fernando di Leo... Check out Manhunt (Mala Ordina) & Milano Calibro 9 if you can. Two of the best in the genre!
    Also there will be a bunch of Enzo Castellari crime flicks coming from Blue Underground... The Big Racket, Heroin Busters & Street Law... Can't wait for these! Too bad his best one High Crime won't get a release as well though...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  5. Crystal Plumage

At last I did it!
    Took me some time to do it but I finally decided to order Revolver (with Grand Slam as extra) and Almost Human.
    I sold some stuff on the Internet and decided I had to buy some Italian Crime films.
    I already tasted some "Crime" with Street Law and the Giallo/Crime hybrids What Have They Done to Your Daughters,E Tanta Paura and Suspected Death of a Minor.
    Those three I really like so now it's time for me to delve a little deeper into the Genre.
    But if I don't like these two I ordered,I'll probably never buy any again.
    If I do like them though,I think I'll buy Violent City (another Sollima film) and Syndicate Sadists (also Lenzi/Milian collaboration) next.

We'll see.I will post my opinions when I've watched them (or in one of threads about these films).

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I almost thought you wrote Eurocreme. Which would have made this a very different thread altogether. Ah well, maybe some other time.

7. Crystal Plumage

:lol:
    I googled "Eurocreme" and NO I wasn't talking about THAT!

8. Luna

Luna Guest

You know, I had no idea what you guys were talking about until curiosity got the best of me and I Googled. Oh my. :lol:

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

:lol:

10. i hope you went for the almost human/violent profs double bill, because then you also have one of the best poliziesco's. revolver is also very good, but it took me a second viewing to really apreciate it.

i remember that when i saw gambling city the first time i was very fond of it. i found a vhs copy and it wasn't available on dvd yet. the movie was listed at imdb.com, but there was no director credited. after i reported that and the movie was actually added to martino's filmography, i was very excited. but after seeing it again on dvd i was disappointed and i consider it a minor genre entry.

violent city is slowmoving but prety good. and if you look really hard you can find it in the netherlands for only 4 euro, that's what i paid. it isn't anamorphic, but it is widescreen, uncut (including italian dialogue where english is missing), my guess it's the same as the anchor bay release. (if you can't find it there, i can look for it here in amsterdam, let me know.)

11. Crystal Plumage

Well,I ordered the NS release of Almost Human.It was cheaper.Sorry.
    Thought about that other release though (Alan Young if I'm not mistaken?).

Is that Violent City release legit?If so,I think I'm able to find it.If not I'll let you know.For that price I'll pick it up regardless.

12. Crystal Plumage

13. Crystal Plumage

Ordered the Violent City disc today.Only 2,50 Euro (= $3.20)
    Apparently (according to DVD Profiler) it's exactly the same as the Anchor Bay disc though non anamorphic.
    For this price I don't care!
    I think it will arrive tomorrow or thirsday.

My other order already shipped too.But those discs will arrive in a couple of weeks.
    Funny,the discs I initially wanted,I get to watch last.....Ah,well....

14. Crystal Plumage

Violent city arrived today.
    Pretty shitty transfer if you ask me.Looks like a bad NTSC to PAL conversion and nonanamorphic (knew that though).But it was very cheap,so who's complaining?:)
    It's watchable and I will watch it soon.If I enjoy the film I'll buy the AB release which has one of their better transfers according to http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/U-Z/violent_city.html#video .

15. Crystal Plumage

OK,watched Violent City today.
    A nice movie but I can see it isn't for everyone.I did enjoy it enough though.I can see this one's not representative for the Eurocrime genre people tend to rate as being the best.
    I expected a bit more action to be frank.There's enough violence but nothing nasty.

Some nice plot twists (though I did see them coming).Good direction,nothing really spectacular.Some cool scenes but mostly just adequate.

As I said not representative for the genre so nothing's lost yet!Still Almost Human and Revolver to watch (hope they'll arrive soon!).

16. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Almost Human is FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!

17. Crystal Plumage

I hope so.It's the one title that can convince me that Eurocrime is for me.
    If I don't like it enough I'll skip this genre.There's enough Giallo and Gothic Horror to explore (now and in the future) so I'm fine for the moment :D

18. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

Violent City is not a traditional Eurocrime movie in that it's much more a 'double cross' thriller than violent outbursts and crazy camera movements (like films as Violent Naples) but I thought that it's great (especially the ending)

Revolver is from the same director (Sollima) and is again very good with a great cast but is at times maybe a little overlong and has much more political undertones and only a couple of action set pieces.

Almost Human is a good movie but is a Eurocrime mixed with a portrait (very superficial though) of a psychopath. Again with some amazing scenes and an especially phenomenal ending.

My advice? Seek out What Have They Done To Your Daughters? from Massimo Dallamano (from Koch Media as Der Tod Trägt Schwarzes Leder in an phenomenal transfer) which has a great plot (one of the best plotted Eurocrime/thrillers), good performances and great music!

19. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

20. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

You seen Contraband,CP?..I would guess so.. but if not its worth a look.;)