European/Asian/Latin American DVD labels - Info needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeremy, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Since we have a large number of European readers on this forum, plus a few from Latin America and Asia/Oceania, I thought I would do my best to crowdsource a little project that I am working on.

I work in international film sales, representing independent films for distribution domestically and overseas. This week we're tackling an annual project which is my FAVORITE thing ever (okay, not really, but it's essential) - updating our database of distributors and sales contacts. Because of course what happens is that people move around from company to company, some companies close down and others start up. What I am starting to realize is that our lists of some territories are more out of date than I thought, and that a lot of smaller companies from overseas are not represented (I own a lot of Region 2 DVDs, and when I started taking things off my shelves and Googling I realized that a lot of these companies were still in business but many of them weren't on our lists). So since we have a forum here full of film collectors I thought I would open the floor to help and suggestions.

I guess you could say there are three categories I'm hoping to get more information on:

1) Smaller, non-North America independent home video labels. We already have information for the foreign home video subsidiaries of the big studios, and information for a lot of the bigger UK independents like Arrow and Artificial Eye, but we are missing are a lot of the bigger independent home video companies on the continent. Also, for both the UK and the continent, I would really like to get more information on the smaller DVD labels, including the budget labels. Who in France and Germany and Italy, etc, is releasing lower budget films from other countries? Who is releasing The Asylum's movies in Spain? Etc etc. This also applies to Asia, Latin America and Australia/New Zealand. If anyone can pull the DVDs off their shelves and send me any information about the company, their contact information or physical address it would be really appreciated.

2) What are the smaller TV channels and networks in these countries that play movies? Again, got plenty of info for things like Channel 4 UK or HBO International, but not the smaller networks and channels that are available in many countries.

3) In addition to the international variants of Netflix, etc, what streaming networks and services are becoming most popular among viewers overseas?

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of latin america DVDs and they are all bootlegs. Even though they have barcodes all the companies have some dead fake address in a ghetto neighborhood. I have a few movies imported from Mexico all are bootlegs also. I don't think people understand hardly nobody buys these DVDs. Most people in latin America are worried about where their next meal is coming from not DVDs. The DVDs are produced illegally through small video companies operating out of Los Angeles. Most of the latin American DVDs are made from people who can afford them and at $5 a pop you can not complain. If you want to wrap up your project just go to downtown LA there is bootleg Spanish DVD venders all over the shopping strip. Hope I have been of some help and will gladly help out more. I just have to go dig through over 60+ boxes to find all this stuff which is time consuming.

As for Asian DVDs like korea china etc etc they are almost all bootleg knockoffs especially the Disney stuff.