Ever experienced Laser rot?

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Sam, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

My Halloween is perfect too. I watched it when I did the Halloween: 25th anniv. DVD review.

2. geekcccp

geekcccp Guest

just wondering because i looking to invest in other criterion LD's...my other 2 Criterion LD's are fine...i guess it's just a freak thing

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Search on Google and see if the title is a known rotter. Paff is right, however. Some companies (notably Columbia) are worse than others. Image and Pioneer are usually solid.

Go to Google Groups, specify advanced search and return only results in alt.video.laserdisc - Just search for the title and then something like rot or rotter.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've seen some rot on Criterion titles, but very rarely. The example I gave above, of Seven, is the only one I have personally (I own about 15 Criterion LDs, including Halloween, and Seven is the only one with rot), so I'd say it's worth the risk to buy a Criterion sight unseen.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This is somewhat off topic, but...

Has anyone ever experienced "DVD rot"? Apparently it happens mostly with dual-layer discs that are improperly maufactured or stored incorrectly. FOX and WAMO manufactured discs are the ones I've heard this about. Anyone know more about it?

6. Salty

Salty Guest

I have had two discs that I am certain have laser rot. The first to go was my Lost Highway LD which is unwatchable with wierd horizontal color bands fluttering in the image. This disc is actually looks much better in my older player...CLD-3080 I think. The second disc is Starman which has unbearable dropout for about 15 minutes at the beginning of side 2.

7. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Frightened to check my LDs - haven't watched them in years but if I found they had rot I'd cry. All but 1 disc were bought at the original full RRP...cost me £000s..... :eek1:

On the DVD side of things, my Swordfish DVD corrupts and dies at the layer change...just as Halle's undressing. Proof that there is no God? :cry: :lol:

8. laserdogg

laserdogg Member

Criterions that rotted in my collection:

Boyz n the Hood - so far replacement is fine
    Tootsie