Everest (2015) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Oct 30, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Everest (2015, Baltasar Kormakur)

This film is based on the accounts of the ill-fated 1996 climbing expedition on Mt. Everest that was devastated by a severe snow storm. The film has put together a stellar ensemble cast with even many smaller roles going to larger name actors such as Jake Gyllenhaal, Keira Knightley and Robin Wright. The director who has had a pretty up and down career thus far has turned in what could be his best work here on a film that is soaked in realism. It is shot amazingly in some perilous locations that make you feel like you are a part of this man vs the elements story.

There is a refreshing lack of hollywood cliche's as there is no forced romantic sub-plot dominating the proceedings, the focus is on the task at hand. There is also no over the top swelling musical score to try and tell you what to feel or any shots that try and over play the action. The loss of life is hard hitting to the characters and you can feel their struggles at every turn, there is no flippant attitude to and of the proceedings. A deal breaker in films can often be the accents but all the actors were spot on and consistent, so you are never taken out of the moment. All in all I recommend this perilous adventure.
    8/10

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed this. Saw it in 3D which I found very effective as they scaled the mountain.