Evil Dead(2013) Vs. Cabin in the Woods(2012)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by ThisEvilBastard, Jun 25, 2013.

?

Which is the better film?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2013.
  1. Evil Dead(2013)

37.8%
  2. Cabin in the Woods

62.2%
  1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Uh... no.

Barbara died, Johnny pulled her out of the house and the zombies killed her.
    There's no one there to rescue Childs and MacReady, so they died. Provided they were both human.
    The force in the woods killed Ash.

2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Honestly they're both extremely entertaining.
    Cabin in the Woods is like a game watching and guessing how it'll unfold while satirizing the concepts from other horror movies.
    While Evil Dead 2013 has the intense gore & shock factor that throws back the original in the most perfect way...

This is so hard haha
    I pick Cabin in the Woods. It's just so fun

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I need to revisit NOTLD, I must be thinking of the remake.

As for the last two, those are just assumptions. Yes MacReacy and Childs probably won't make it, but it's still just an assumption as they are still alive at the end. Maybe someone would happen to be out there and save them. I'm sure if the movie was succesful enough for a sequel they could come up with several ways for the characters to be saved.

Paff mentioned Blair Witch Project doesn't show the last character die at the end either but that film is supposed to be found footage from three missing people never to be seen again, so you know from the beginning they all are dead.

And as for Evil Dead, again it's just an assumption that the woods killed Ash. And if Evil Dead 2 is a sequel and not a remake, which most would agree it is, then he definitely didn't die at the end.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

Jason died at the end of almost every Friday the 13th film. The next showed him alive. That doesn't change the end of the previous film. Same with Halloween 5. And 4, frankly. And H20. And Resurrection.

Ash died. Dead. Kaput. Gone. Iced. No assumption. I understand people like to have fun and change previous movies to enjoy the delusion of continuity within franchises but it's still a delusion. Ash died in The Evil Dead. Doesn't matter what happens in the sequel when you're watching or discussing the original.

MacReady and Childs were not rescued. Providing they were both human, they died. It's kinda the whole point. If one of them is a Thing (and if so, we know who it is finally), that "person" didn't die. But the other surely did.

5. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

HATE Cabin In The Woods. I really don't get the love...:confused:

Evil Dead was decent, so that gets my vote.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

Cabin.. was a fun romp but I just dug the ED remake a wee-bit more. The nostalgic value it conjured up kept me excited. I really want that Unrated version asap.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

This is a very interesting point, one I don't necessarily agree with, but I think I get where you're coming from. I honestly don't think the filmmakers are shitting on the old cliches, I think the "real movie reviewers" just get refreshed that it is a little different and respond generally more positive and certain fans are just so into that stuff, they get all the references and they nerd out on it because that's what they get off on. Case in point, Scream 4 seems to have been written by an internet slasher forum fanboy, and all the dialogue relating to that turned me off, although the movie was still enjoyable because everyone knows the so called slasher rules were broken beyond recognition before the genre even started. And as such, I agree, eventually, these films just become what they're parodying by doing this. No one is Einstein by pointing out to us the flaws in logic in horror movies throughout the ages, realistically, suspension of disbelief is required in even the best in the genre. And the parodying has been done forever even before Scream, let alone Cabin in the Woods, so they're just doing the old gags better. Fine by me, but it is what it is. I think it's the culture of the fanbase, but I don't at all think I'm cooler than the regular audience because someone on the screen referenced Peeping Tom by name.

Cabin in the Woods is the exception where it just does everything so well, it can do what it wants and it is absolutely amazing, but to me the meat and potatoes of the genre is still the regular old horror movie because an entire subgenre that play off the cliches would be so tiresome. That's where the Evil Dead remake came in and blew me away. It was a regular horror movie that looked amazing, had tons of action and suspense and the bloodshed was unparalleled. It reminded me of being 11 again, on the edge of my bed watching the original Evil Dead for the first time. Even by 11, horror movies didn't actually scare me, but wow, Evil Dead came the closest. I never looked at the original Evil Dead as humorous back then, so I felt like I was 11 re-living Evil Dead all over again with the remake being just unrelenting. I always loved Evil Dead II and AOD, but I liked the original best because it was more of a horror film, which is what I paid to see. As the years passed, I obviously understood the humor and Raimi's overall tone that ED has, but now I have an ED flick in my collection that replicates that feeling I got when I first saw the original, and that's badass to me.

You can't please everybody and most of these people don't want to be pleased anyways, but I'm happy that I enjoyed the remake because I really hoped I would. Most negative opinions on it revolve around the movie not being a total copy of the original, but those same people would have liked Raimi's style better anyways if the new one did veer onto that path, so they likely weren't destined to enjoy it in the first place. To me, it almost seemed like a natural progression in the series. ED 1 was very much a horror film, but had its quirks, Evil Dead 2 was very a much a horror comedy, Army of Darkness was barely a horror movie at all, in the remake we got a rather serious horror film... as serious as demons in the woods can be.

8. unclefred

unclefred New Member

My thoughts too. Some people don't understand irony or satire.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

I have those moments where I feel humanity totally fails as a species and clichéd, "don't want to live on this planet anymore"s. But to call those 3 sacks in BWP realistic depictions of people is too cynical. Even for me. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't think real people were capable of more than Heather, Josh, and... Matt? The other guy. Stan?

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dang. The poll is closed. I saw that this thread got resurrected, and since I finally saw the Evil Dead remake, I was eligible to make a selection.

Needless to say, my vote would have been for Cabin in the Woods. I didn't hate the Evil Dead remake (or reboot, whatever you want to call it), it was just thoroughly unremarkable. Nothing to update the original (as it really did not need updating), just a generic 21st century horror film with a few nods to a much more groundbreaking film thrown in for the older fans. Utterly pointless. It's been little more than a week, and I've forgotten most of it.

11. p.nibzz

p.nibzz New Member

I did not see Cabin in the Woods as anything close to an Evil Dead remake. Also, I thought CitW was pretty boring.

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I've seen bits of "Cabin" on Netflix and it looked very different from what I was expecting. I saw a bit of "Evil Dead REMAKE" on Dish and it was like watching a CW drama (you know same type of "acting", dialogue, ect) what a joke.
    I'll take CABIN IN THE WOODS.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Why even vote if you've only seen bits?

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Because sometimes that's all that it takes. If somebody hands you a dish of food and it tastes terrible on the first bite, what is the likelihood that you are going to finish the whole plate?

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, I agree with Ash here. Watching "bits" of a movie is not the same thing. You need to see a movie from the beginning, and preferably all the way through to the end (although I've been known to dump a movie after an hour if I know where it's going)

Knowing Wago's tastes though, I would expect him to enjoy Cabin more than the Evil Dead remake. But do yourself a favor W70, watch Cabin in the Woods beginning to end. You'll dig it. Evil Dead? Yeah, you pretty much got the gist of it with however much you saw.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Sure, stumbling into the middle of a movie, you might mistake a good movie for a bad one. But there can be certain esthetic choices made by the director that would be telling evidence of the type of film you most certainly would not like. For instance, if it's shot in first perspective "reality" video.. then I'm not going to like it. If it's shaky cam.. I'm not going to like it. If it's primarily orange and teal… chances are… I'm not going to like it.

I'm old enough to know what I like and what I don't. So why waste my time? Filmmakers are never going to surprise me by making something that I like with methods that I cannot stand.

17. p.nibzz

p.nibzz New Member

I've definitely seen at least one really good movie that started out bad. Evil Dead remake got better, but it really depends on which bits you're talkin about.

18. Christy

Christy Member

I had high expectations for Evil Dead then I saw it and was not good. Cabin In The Woods had potentional but it was executed very poorly. Either way I would have voted for neither they both were bad cheese.