Evil Dead 4 confirmed (+ remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Drag me to hell was more gross then good IMO. I'm surprised that movie didn't end his career also. Yeah I didn't care or his spider man crap or OZ crapolla.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I was surprised by it seeing as I thought the trailer looked crappy and really silly. Turns out it got under my skin though. The ending was pretty mean spirited which I didn't think was necessary though.
    I feel like Sam could still make a pretty good AOD2 (if it does happen).

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Bruce says it is not happening, at least at the moment. It is on dark horizons.

Until I read about it actually starting the filming, I don't pay much attention to these news bits.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This definitely doesn't upset me. But I'd argue that Raimi made quite a few interesting films since Army Of Darkness. The Quick And The Dead, A Simple Plan, and The Gift weren't great. But I find them all entertaining--which is more than I can say for most of what Hollywood churns out. I enjoy the first two Spider-Man films and Drag Me To Hell too.

I have zero interest in Oz. And Spider-Man 3 was very sub-par. But there's plenty of evidence to suggest that studio interference had a lot to do with that. It's still easy to argue that Raimi is losing his way. The bulk of his recent output isn't on par with his older work. But I suspect he's fully capable of making another great film. It's going to come down to material.

But truthfully, are any of you guys THAT jazzed about the prospect of a follow-up to Army Of Darkness? I really believe that Raimi and Campbell would have to be 110% committed for the resulting film to be remotely satisfying. And it's pretty clear from all the false starts that they're not really all that interested in revisiting this material.

Personally I'd strongly prefer that they leave well enough alone--unless they stumble upon an Ash story that they absolutely need to tell. The thought of a half-assed Evil Dead continuation churns my stomach.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I like Raimi's Spider Man films so there! :p

6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Spider-Man 2 is a great superhero movie, buoyed a bit by a script co-written by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon.

Bruce also dispelled this rumor when he was in Seattle.

edit: or, he called it "internet bullshit" but didn't OUTRIGHT say "No, never never never never never."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Whenever somebody releases a new sequel or record album after decades have past, it almost never lives up to expectations. The only time I can remember that actually working was when Radio Birdman released a kick ass album after 30 years. You just can't usually go back home again.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

What about The Phantom Menace? :lol:

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bruce made a couple of statements and then Fede Alvarez made a supporting statement, a statement that was correcting other misconceptions that he wasn't doing ED2.

I think the take away from this is that AoD2 is closer now than we've been for many years, but that doesn't mean cameras are about to roll either. Keeping things down low is the name of the game. We learned a few years ago that Freddy vs Jason vs Ash was a lot closer than even originally speculated; when at the time it sounded more like a fan pipe dream than anything else. I wouldn't dismiss the original statements too easily, what we're hearing now is simply damage control.

10. Zombie Dude

I know Bruce has said things in the past and likes to be cruel to the fans by giving them false hope and then shutting them down; but like you say, it seems this is in fact a step closer to being reality.

I think the fact that the remake was received well by most is a good sign that there likely will be more Evil Dead, both original and new.

11. maybrick

The Dawn of the Dead remake was even better received, but we're still waiting for a sequel to that one. I wouldn't hold my breath.

12. Zombie Dude

The Day of the Dead remake?

13. maybrick

That wasn't a sequel. They don't have a single production company or distributor in common.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  14. Zombie Dude

So? The original Day was a sequel to Dawn.

15. maybrick

"So"? So what? Do I really need to waste my morning listing the myriad of ways in which the Day of the Dead remake is NOT a sequel to the Dawn of the Dead remake? Because I will if I really need to. Seriously, use your head, dude. :rolleyes:

16. Zombie Dude

Waste your morning how you like :rolleyes:

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

And let's not forget Day of the Dead 2: Contagium. On second though, let's all try to forget that one. :)

18. maybrick

So what you are saying is that you would accept an Evil Dead sequel that is distributed by a different studio, by a different film crew and a different producer, different director, different writer, different cast (with sole exception of one guy in another role) and a different storyline just because it has a title in common?

Gotcha.

With that logic, you may as well say that Return of the Evil Dead is a prequel.

19. maybrick

I actually did! Thanks a lot for the reminder. :lol:

20. Zombie Dude

I sure would accept that (apart from your comment about Return which has nothing to do with Evil Dead). I'm glad we can see eye to eye on something and that you value my opinion.