Evil Dead roams onto Blu-Ray later this year!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Well, here are my pros and cons of this set.:

Pros:
    -It's including the original full screen version (Goody! :D)
    -2 Discs set
    -New Transfer

Cons:
    -It's not including the Ladies Of The Evil Dead featurettes (unless if the full specs haven't been announced.)
    -I'm concerned that the new commentary will just be a combined version of the old commentaries.
    -No Within The Woods (I think this was expected)
    -The bonus DVD is Disc 2 for the set. Unless it's a copy of one of the widescreen DVDs.

Now I'm sure the Ladies Of The Evil Dead featurettes are going to be included (possibly because the full specs haven't been announced) but we shouldn't give our hopes up on the new commentary 'cuz it could be a newly recorded one. Don't let my opinions get the best of you, The Evil Dead is coming to Blu-Ray with the original full screen version.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This set sounds awesome. You're getting both aspect ratios and a few new features.

I find a lot of people nitpicking with this release. I don't get the great want for Within the Woods to be released. It's readily available to download on a great many of sites. I doubt it being put on a DVD or blu-ray would improve the quality very much, if at all. Save for seeing it a couple times for curiosity's sake, honestly how many times is one going to go back and watch Within the Woods? It's overall very amateurish and the quality of the surviving copies is barely watchable.

As for the old commentaries, I've listened to them so many times that I can basically recite verbatim what Campbell, Raimi, & Co. say at each scene, so it doesn't pain me that they're not on this release.

3. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

pwnt!

4. Terry44

Terry44 Member

Weird how the 35mm print is projected in 1.85. But the 16mm print i saw at my local art cinema was 4.3 ration full screen with no image cropping

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with the specs they've given so far. A 2-disc set? That's pretty awesome. I definitely wasn't expecting 2 discs, that's for sure. And these will surely be new transfers, since the old ones were, well....old. They definitely were not HD. I can't wait for this.

~Matt

6. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Hopefully one day they`ll use the far superior original UK poster art :(

Attached Files:

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Oh man I really love that poster!

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong people, but I think 16mm is usually a 4:3 image, and the director will shoot with 1.85 in mind and crop it later usually.

I've never actually shot with 16mm so I'm not 100%.

The 35mm was probably cropped, but that's the way that Raimi probably wanted it. A tighter widescreen image, without needless space on the top and bottom.

A lot of people get attached to these unmatted fullscreen versions though. I remember some nerd complaining because he had grown up with the unmatted, full frame version of Return of the Living Dead on VHS, and in the shot where Trash is talking to Suicide naked, you can basically see her ass and crotch, but when the DVD came out, the widescreen version cropped out her lower half.

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Well fuck, that sounds like a pretty legitimate reason for whining to me!:D Especially as hot as Linnea was in that movie...But anyways, I think The Evil Dead looks best in Fullscreen. I remember one scene in particular where the tree branch that was stuck in scotty's stomach, was barely visible in the matted version.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Same thing with Cheerleaders, the matte blocked out lots of bush. Some of this films just ain't high art, so why not go for the full money shot?

You don't see fans complaining that ED2 is widescreen. Infact there are a few gaffes which are less easy to see when widescreen. So I don't think fans are too use to VHS in this regard.

Was Evil Dead originally shown theatrically at 1.85:1? Undoubtedly. It was standard procedure. No projectionist is going to waste their time removing the gate for z-grade schlock.

Was Evil Dead originally shot with 1.85:1 in mind? Possibly. These were kids, on their first location shoot, on a grueling schedule. They frequently switched DP duties. Some shots may have been aligned better than others. The net result is that 1.85:1 looks a little cramped, even in the theater. 1.37:1 works best in my mind. I also feel that the original color timing helped to make it more horror. With the warmer color temp it feels more comic.

The inclusion of a full screen version may acknowledge that fact. Or it may be Anchor Bay/Raimi throwing up their arms saying, "Whatever, we've provided fullscreen/widescreen for over 20 years why stop now?"

11. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Shit! I forgot all about ED 2. The Wes Craven homage with Freddy's glove in Ash's toolshed is almost completely cut off In Widescreen...

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well the official specs have been released. Pretty much the same as what was posted earlier with a few minor changes.

Special features include:

On the Blu-ray:
    o All-new audio commentary with writer/director Sam Raimi, producer Robert Tapert and star Bruce Campbell

On the special-features DVD:
    o One By One We Will Take You: The Untold Saga of The Evil Dead
    o The Evil Dead: Treasures from the Cutting Room Floor
    o The Ladies Of The Evil Dead Meet Bruce Campbell
    o Book of The Dead: The Other Pages
    o Discovering The Evil Dead
    o Unconventional
    o At The Drive-In

http://ca.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4842

I'm happy that they are giving us both the widescreen and full screen versions, remastered none the less with Sam Raimi's approval, but I can't help but be disappointed once again by Anchor Bay and this release.

Missing from the Ultimate Edition are two commentaries, Life After Death: The Ladies Of The Evil Dead featurette, the Reunion Panel, Make Up Test footage, the Trailers and TV spots, and as expected the still gallery. Also, missing from the Book of the Dead edition is the Fanalysis short film directed by Bruce Campbell.

Have they ever released a Blu Ray that included everything from their previous DVDs? Why not release this as a three disc set and include everything from the Ultimate Edition? I used to love Anchor Bay but I'm really starting to hate them now! Most of their releases include none of the DVD extras, hell they don't even bother to include a menu! Their Halloween is missing tons of previous DVD extras, their Evil Dead 2 Blu is missing some extras and is drenched in DNR, and then there is their Dawn release which is very inferior to the Ultimate Edition DVD. Like Dawn of the Dead (Rumored to already be getting a re-release on Blu) I'm sure they'll re-release this in a few years and include everything from the three disc set. Like what the hell, they made us double dip multiple times already on DVD if you wanted all the extras, now they are doing it again with Blu! Talk about a greedy company! It's one thing with the DVDs where they were creating new extras and finding lost material, but all of these extras already exist! On top of this, they still haven't included Within the Woods! Honestly, name a greedier and lazier company then present day Anchor Bay?

I was already planning on keeping my Book of the Dead edition because it's bad ass and probably the coolest DVD case ever made, but I held off getting the Ultimate Edition thinking that when it came to Blu Ray it would include everything since all those features are already done and it would take no work to transfer them on Blu Ray. Now I have to go out and pick up the Ultimate Edition on top of the Blu Ray and own three copies of this movie!? F Anchor Bay!

Why does Anchor Bay hate Blu Ray, and why are they too lazy to do a proper release for any of their classic films? I want to be able to buy the Blu and be done with all the other versions, not have to keep three copies of a movie to own everything!

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I ask this again to people who complain about still galleries missing and little featurettes missing, how many times do you go actually back and watch those? I highly doubt most of the people who complain about these things being missing would actually even go back and watch them again even if they were present on the blu-ray. After years and years of seeing the same stills and posters, do you really pop the disc and say to yourself "Ooooh! I really want to look at all those photos again!" Who cares if the old commentaries aren't there? They're basically just Campbell, Raimi, & co. saying the same shit they've been saying at conventions for the past 20 years, and this new commentary will probably be more of the same.

I don't know about you, but this seems like a "proper" release to me. 1080p picture, new commentary, new features, both aspect ratios. Just because it doesn't have the same old tired features that we've seen a million times over doesn't make this any less a proper release.

And would Within the Woods really be that great with an official release? For legal reasons it would have to be silent, so you would basically be sitting in silence for 30 minutes watching a cruddy VHS rip. Sounds like a great time. Just download it, make a DVD, and be happy.

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I don't have a HD TV nor a Blue-Ray player yet, and I am very seriously thinking of getting this on Blu-Ray as my first Blu-Ray DVD purchase, even though I own the Ultimate Edition. I just wish that the New Commentary would be on a Regular DVD.

15. Terry44

Terry44 Member

More Evil Dead Blu ray
    U.K news

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have revealed some early details on a forthcoming UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Sam Raimi’s The Evil Dead. Previously released in the UK numerous times on DVD by Anchor Bay, Sony have picked up the rights and are tentatively set to release the film on 4th October 2010. Early specs follow…

Blu-ray

* 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
    * English 5.1, Spanish (Castilian) 5.1, Italian 5.1
    * English, Danish, Finnish, Hindi, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese (Portugal), Spanish (Castilian) and Swedish subtitles
    * All New Commentary with Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell
    * Picture-in-Picture: Join us! The Undying Legacy of The Evil Dead
    * One By One We Will Take You The Untold Saga of the Evil Dead"
    * Treasures from the Cutting Room Floor
    * At the Drive-In
    * Discovering Evil Dead
    * Ellen and Drama Teacher
    * On-Stage Interview
    * Make-Up Test

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content/id/72760/the-evil-dead-r2uk-bd-in-october.html

16. Terry44

Terry44 Member

Here we go again.
    The U.K Blu ray seems to be widescreen only. But it does have a picture in picture extra that is very tempting. Looks like i will be buying both releases.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

THANK YOU. I don't get all the fuss over still galleries and little crappy interviews and featurettes. There are some GREAT documentaries, (like the making of Jaws and American Graffiti - which should be included on every release) but the "Ladies of the Evil Dead" featurette was boring (at least I thought so) and the make-up and screentests get boring after about 25 seconds, so I don't really care that they're gone. NEw commentary? Sick. New special features? Why not? 2 discs? Hell yes. I'm really looking forward to this blu-ray, and I actually think Anchor Bay is doing a good job this time. Trailers and TV spots not being included? Oh well, it's not like you can't find them on YouTube. (They may very well be included, too. A lot of the time, studios don't advertise trailers as a special feature and then they pop up on the DVD/blu-ray). Really looking forward to this, though. Got rid of my Ultimate Edition DVD months ago.

~Matt

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What's interesting about this news report is the description,
    Now where does this wording come from? Anchor Bay itself?

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking, considering all they need to do is restore one print (which would by default be 1.33:1) and then matte it for 1.85:1. They just worded it wrong, I think. 2 new presentations of the film (one in 1.33 and the other 1.85) from an HD master. But yeah, it would be pointless to do TWO brand new HD transfers when you can just do it with one and then matte it.

~Matt

20. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The emphasis wasn't on the fact that they did two new HD transfers, but that it lists the 1.33:1 version as Raimi's preferred version.