Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well holy shit, did they go all out on the craziness in this finale :D
    Plenty of old-school stunts and buckets of gore.

I find it interesting how much practical FX is used in these last episodes, compared to the first ones.
    I wonder if they used CGI early on, in the season, so they could save most of the budget, for the epic practical stuff, in the final trilogy of episodes?

Thankfully, they don't cut the season off, in the middle of an action scene, and keep us hanging on to a typical cliffhanger. But it leaves one hell of an door open for season 2.

Ash, you fucking idiot!! I knew he would fuck it up somehow. But also, it was pretty obvious that the necronomicon would survive, as there would be no season 2 otherwise ;)
    Some are probably going to hate the ending, but it made me laugh at how stupid and easily fooled Ash is, and that he is the cause of the apocalypse :D

Also, watch out for Freddy┬┤s glove in the cellar, it's pretty hard to miss :D

The series had a few weaker moments, but damn did it deliver in the end.
    Gonna be a long wait for the next season...

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Loved it. I did see some CGI in the finale but yes, seems it was mostly practical.

A couple of stinkers in the middle of season one but otherwise, a solid 8/10. Maybe 7/10 if you take out the huge fan boy variable in there.

Day one blu-ray purchase for me. Can't wait for season two.

I'm really hoping, and expecting, the blu-ray sales are very strong. It will give Starz that much more incentive for a season three.

othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.
  3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Save the last two episodes for tonight. Eager to finish it off. Not a perfect show, but pretty entertaining.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Finale was 45 mins. Nice surprise there.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. sade

sade Member

Especially if there's a commentary with Bruce !

Steel76 likes this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Enjoyed it, ending could have been better, but that's nit picking, It could have been a hell of a lot worse! One bit with the broomstick had me giggling so much I had to pause!! Overall enjoyed this a lot, episode 5 & 6 were the fat that could have been trimmed, but overall they did not spoil a great series, will be interested to see how they will continue this with the way it ended, but I'm looking forward to finding out, right any news on a blu ray release yet?

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've been patiently waiting since October, my grand plan being to binge watch the first 5 episodes on Friday and the rest on Saturday leading up to the season finale. Didn't quite work out, as I only ended up making it through 3 episodes per night.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I do have to agree with the comments that it feels way more My Name Is Bruce than Evil Dead, only with way better gore and a faster pace. Campbell is in fine form, but I have yet to click with either of his sidekicks or the female cop. They're all pretty dull one-dimensional characters.

The gore / action scenes have been pretty spectacular, especially the diner sequence at the end of episode 6 (which is right where I've left off). I don't really mind the CGI, I'd say they use it better than most modern horror.

I do wish the show was maybe a little more focused, maybe even a bit more contained. So far it has been a bit meandering, with Ash and his sidekicks just driving around from random place to random place and the "evil" occasionally popping up here and there. The two "Brujo" episodes were pretty much throwaways. Although having grown up in Michigan, I'm enjoying all the references to my home state (even if the show is lensed in New Zealand).

From what I understand though, they return to the cabin for the rest of the season, so hopefully this is where the show will gain its footing.

8. Steel76

The last 4 episodes, are the best of the season.
    And the last three, is when it REALLY turns into a proper Evil Dead sequel :)

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well that was quite the nutty finale

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I have been sicker than a dog for the last two weeks, finally got enough brain power back to watch the last two episodes. I must say episode 9 reminded me of a straight up video nasty with all the dismemberment. The whole episode was something off the cover of Driller Killer where it's just so visceral and shocking. Except unlike Driller Killer, everything about it kicked ass.

Episode 10 wasn't as good, but still awesome. I wonder if they changed anything when they learned it'd get a second season. The very ending, as much as it makes total sense, just seems like it lacks a pop. Very true to the series, Ash is Ash in the end. It really makes the Brujo episodes have a lot more meaning. Whatever Jacksonville means to Ash, it's gotta be a lot. I hope they expand on it beyond just being the place his life should have went before the shit hit the fan. But, the lovable fuck up always has to fuck up, I get it. It just seems like if he'd somehow inherited a mansion and uber cash (or fame/wealth?) to start off with, that'd have been more incentive and a more entertaining way to bring Ash back to a fuck up. The more I think of it, though, getting rid of the book and heading to Jacksonville without a dime to his name to start fresh could be the most Ash-like move... ever. I'll need a while to take the finale in. The ED mythos has now doubled and will be getting another season guaranteed, so my perspective is much more different than if this had been a real Evil Dead 4 and me never expecting 5 to happen.

As for season 2... I REALLY hope we don't have only dark one demons ala those kids. I really want the deadites to be deadites. I'm sure it'll be Ash Vs. Deadites Vs. Dark Ones, though. And there's gotta be a cabin.

othervoice1 likes this.
  11. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I loved the series, even the middle episodes, but I really found this finale to be a letdown. It was almost like a SNL skit, great until they couldn't find an ending so they just made something up quick. Kelly was useless running around knocking on the front door for 30 minutes and Ash didn't seem to do much except walk around the fruit cellar. The no-eyed kids didn't do it for me either, seemed like something out of an early 2000's J-Horror remake. I did love the look of Pablo. I am looking forward to season 2, but feel like this ending was tacked on to create room for it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  12. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I enjoyed the show and found myself looking forward to each episode, but ultimately it was good but not great. The thing it (thankfully) gets right is giving fans a lot of Bruce kicking ass and delivering one-liners, while mostly staying faithful/paying homage to its roots.

In comparison, the rumored details about the upcoming Friday the 13th series seem to portend a complete mishandling of what fans expect from that franchise.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't really care for the twist regarding the Lucy Lawless character and I thought that the last episode became a little too much like the Evil Dead remake for my liking. But I'll hold off on making a final judgement until the story has been fully told. If I was to grade this series I'd give it an "incomplete".

14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the entire first season - but it definitely got better towards the end of the season (as any good show should). I personally loved the finale and didn't even know it was going to be 45 minutes - so that was a nice bonus. I was okay with the ending to the season finale but I can see why some were a little let down by it - but I thought it was fine and is taking us into season 2. I thought the creepy kid thing was pretty cool.

15. old-boo-radley

I'm probably looking too much into it, but my issue with the ending is basically this (to expand on a previous post):

Ash giving a dark one power to invade the world to get rid of the book... even he isn't that dumb. He didn't get hoodwinked, side tracked, he didn't slack off, he literally fought hell the entire journey and handed the book over willy nilly. If he'd have handed it to a deadite, it'd be a slap in people's face, right? What's the difference with Ruby? He didn't even get tricked, he just made a deal for no reason when he already had the upper hand to destroy the book and skewer that bitch!

Second point in addition to that, he takes the fucking dagger that is the only thing that can hurt them! So Ash traded an evil book for an evil dagger? If this was traditional Ash cowardice, why would he take the dagger? Let's say he just gave up, said fuck it, I'm done with evil. I'm gonna go, fuck a broad and get drunk one last time. Kill me after that, take over the world, who gives a damn! That would have been an Ash move. But he TOOK THE DAGGER which is just lazy writing because if he's saying fucking it, why would he take the very dagger he knows evil will come after him for? His dialog basically said "and I'm taking this dagger just to be sure... so you'll come after me in Season 2". That's exactly what it all amounted to.

I'm not purposely shitting on it, I still plan to buy the series, I fucking LOVED it as a whole. I just do not get that logic in the last 5 minutes.

soxfan666 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Maybe he took the dagger because he isn't a total idiot and does care. He was saving the lives of two people he cared about and taking the dagger as a "I know your probably lying but I have something to come back for you with if you are"?

Part of him wanted it to be over, and a bigger part of him wanted to save his friends with just enough motivation to think he could do it and it not be the wrong decision.

Be interesting where they go with things by the end of season 2- and if it goes past a 2nd season

Steel76 likes this.
  17. Steel76

Yeah, if he didn't take the deal, his friend would die.
    Which was nice of him, but at the same time very stupid, in a hilarious way, as he probably also caused the apocalypse :D

Can't wait to see what kind of mess Ash have to clean up in season 2 :)

othervoice1 likes this.
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

So glad I held off to binge watch because the last 3 episodes are incredible. Watching all 3 in a row was like getting the Evil Dead sequel I've always wanted and I loved every minute of it. Not sure if it would have felt the same watching it fragmented into little pieces across three weeks.

As for the first 7 episodes... they were fun I guess, but as I already said, they were definitely more My Name Is Bruce than Evil Dead. I kind of wish they had done a shorter season of only 6 episodes and contained it primarily to the cabin. Then with the season finale cliffhanger, expanded the evil into the world next season. The cliffhanger just kind of feels like they're backpedaling since we've already seen 7 episodes of Ash and sidekicks out in the world fighting the evil.

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Highly disagree that the first half of the season feeling like My Name is Bruce. I HATED My Name is Bruce. I loved/liked Ash vs Evil Dead.

Workshed and othervoice1 like this.
  20. old-boo-radley

Well, if I'm a badass like Ash, my friend will be saved and then the evil is carved up with the dagger. He was joking about the cop chick being dead within 5 minutes. I fully realize I could never "win" this argument that it was out of character since the character has always done dumb things, this one just... I dunno. I don't know how I feel about Ash just giving evil the victory. As much as he's beat around the bush, that has never outright happened before. It all depends on the tone, ED1/2/3 had distinct tones. But the series was different and a lot longer. To go through 10 episodes over 10 weeks as a viewer and to see him just let evil win, I totally understand "he finally shows compassion and causes the apocalypse haha" irony but the way it's portrayed doesn't make it a haha moment, so there's still no effectiveness. They could have had the same outcome and done it a million ways and it'd have worked. The second Pablo was free, Ash should have cut her up. That's an Ash move in the context of the series because he's shown to be very wise to evil. To be dim witted in an entertaining way and to be just dim witted are different things. I've always loved that fine line in ED. This is the only time I've seen it crossed. We went 10 weeks to see Ash turning off a radio and ignoring news of the apocalypse, not like he's a 17 year old man child, but like he's 7... weak sauce, dude.

But just think, with the Necronomicon pleading with Ash to not destroy it and give Ruby power, we could see the deadites on Ash's side. How amazing would that be? My complaint about the ending is relatively small compared to the grand scheme of things, but I stand by the fact it doesn't make Ash look like a better person, more human, more entertaining, more bad ass or a hero. Even if he saves his friend, it doesn't do any of that. If it did, then I would have said it worked. Luckily for the writers, people will just be like "lol another bad Ash decision". And thankfully so, because I want this series to run forever. :) But there has to be a pay off. If Ruby gave Ash riches... you'd see, say, an episode of him living the high life and banging broads. Entertaining as fuck, rewarding to see Ash living high on the hog before his inevitable downfall. The pay off to the season 1 ending is what? Ash can be sympathetic towards people and "mature", but man, no one wants to see your cocky hero as a little bitch. They spent a lot of time pushing Ash as being more mature over 10 weeks and having him also be a badass. Dooming humanity is one thing, total Ash move. Going out like a bitch is another. He can fuck up, fail, whatever, but when he ceases to be heroic, he becomes less interesting. Mid-season, giving evil the win to get Pablo, fine, but this is the season ender. So yes, they'll fix it in season 2, but it doesn't make it seem like anything more than writing that could have been more well thought out for a finale. Sometimes the smallest nuance makes the biggest difference.

Zombie Dude likes this.