Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ClaytonS

ClaytonS New Member

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Best Buy has an exclusive Steelbook edition available this coming Tuesday (8/23) for $29.99. The regular edition will be on sale for $24.99.

fceurich39 likes this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's also eligible for a $10 gift card if purchased in conjunction with additional select TV-series totaling $50 or more:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/select-tv-seasons-offer-co5272

I wasn't able to find much of interest to make the gift card worth while, but perhaps others can.

Harry Warden likes this.
  6. ClaytonS

ClaytonS New Member

It takes quite a bit of time for any of my posts to receive moderator approval - so I am pretty certain no one saw my post!

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Worked my way through season one on Blu over the last few days. It started off decent, but not great. I even felt that way about the Raimi helmed pilot, which surprised me. But once episode 6 rolled around and the random kid in the diner got tossed into a ceiling fan, I was 100% in. I felt the second half of the season was much stronger than the first and the return to the cabin during the final three episodes capped things off nicely.

For me, the reason to watch the show is to see Bruce be the best he's been since Bubba Ho-Tep. I found his comedy scenes where he's just being Ash and not fighting deadites to be my favorites. I also warmed up to the supporting cast by the end of the season. I just hope season two doesn't continue the trend of rushing through any scene not featuring Ash to get back to Campbell, usually at the expense of the plot.

I waited for Blu with season one and I can't wait to dig into the bonus features, but the season ended so strongly that I'll be ordering Starz through Amazon Prime to see season two as it airs.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Rewatched it last week and liked it even more the second go around. Fantastic show. Funny and gory as fuck.

Can't wait for Season 2.

othervoice1 likes this.
  9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I blind bought this despite not liking the pilot when it premiered a year ago. After watching the next two episodes, I love the show. The humor is great, there are terrific nods to the original two films and I tend to overlook the CGI. The other two actors have wonderful chemistry with Bruce Campbell. Lucy Lawless is still breathtaking and it was great seeing Mimi Rogers again.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

After finishing the season, I'm actually rewatching it again. I don't think this series would have been as good had it only featured Ash. If you have ever been a fan of the films, you really need to watch this. The CGI is a bit of a drawback at times and it would have frustrated me to no end had I not bing watched them (30 minute episodes leave you wanting more), otherwise it's quite fun. Lucy Lawless is still gorgeous as well.

othervoice1, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  11. MisterTwister

Leaving you wanting more is a good thing.

30 minutes each is the perfect run time for this show. Evil Dead has always been fast paced and dragging them out to an hour is a bad, bad idea IMO.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Myron Breck and Anthropophagus like this.
  12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree that each episode is perfect at 30 minutes. They're like chapters. As far as binge watching, it's great when you're really into a show imo.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I felt like this one should have been released all at once like Netflix does. Binge watching this one is the best way to watch it imo.

buck135 likes this.
  14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I was initially disappointed with the 30 minute runtime. Now I agree, this is the right length. I think this was discussed before but given there are no commercials, the episodes actually run 28-30 minutes. I just checked a few episodes of Season 14 of Family Guy and they are running just shy of 22 minutes in length. And a 1 hour network show runs, what? 42 minutes? 30 minutes is just right.

buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. MisterTwister

I gotta agree binge watching is better for series like this.

Katatonia, buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I loved it. I watched all 10 of the episodes as a non-stop marathon, and I'm left wanting more. I can't wait for Season 2.

It was even better since I grabbed the Blu-ray set for $12.48, thanks to UPS screwing up the delivery. :cool:

buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I don't have Starz, so I decided to just buy the Blu-ray after curiosity got the best of me, glad I did.
    I liked it from the first episode though like others I found the CGI distracting, however by episode three I loved the frenzied pace, the characters and the nostalgic aspect that brought me right back to the first film rented on a tattered vhs tape so many years ago.
    By episode eight I was solidly hooked, I did not binge watch as I wanted to extend the viewing experience as much as possible. As I write this episode ten still remains to be watched.
    Both me and the wife found much to enjoy in the series and will definitely give season 2 a chance.
    It's amazing, but who would've have thought that one day the horror genre's most compelling viewing would be on television rather than the silver screen?

buck135 likes this.
  18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

HELL YES! I walked by a buddy's desk at work and he had S1 sitting out, said I could have it because he scored an extra copy. I was going to order it for my October viewings but this was a gift from Satan.

CANNOT wait to finally watch this and read the full thread.

edit: Audio commentaries on all episodes? Groovy.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I managed to get a ticket to see the season two premiere in a theater here in Seattle last night. It was a blast, the show is perfect to watch with a large group. The episode however, was not one of my favorites. For me there hasn't been a terrible episode yet, but this season premiere would be near the bottom if I were to rank them all. Without spoiling anything, it felt like a lot of rushing through things to get the premise of the season set up. Where we're at before the title screen would've been great to stay at for a while and I hope some time is spent in later episodes developing why the villains are suddenly acting the way they are. I do like the idea that this season might stay put instead of being another road story and that we'll get to learn more about Ash's past. I'm confident that things will settle in and we'll get more episodes like the best of season one. Also, you don't have to wait till Sunday to watch the show! Check it out for free here: https://www.starz.com/series/24815/episodes/27372/details

20. ClaytonS

ClaytonS New Member

I watched the season 2 premiere on demand and was thoroughly impressed. I had given up on the show after the first season's episode 5. I felt like the episodes at Pablo's Uncle's home felt like the pacing of the season had really lost it's way. WELL...I am revisiting the first season as it is free on demand right now and I feel it rights itself right after episode four and five.