Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yes it includes on Demand - Ill have to check those out if I get time <: Thanks for the heads up

2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Starz is showing the Evil Dead trilogy starting at 8 tonight and apparently they're playing the first episode after Army of Darkness at 12:17.

3. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I was confused by this as the ad on Starz says its tomorrow night at 9. I set my DVR for both showings...

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah, Bruce Campbell is hosting the marathon and he mentioned that tonight's airing is a sneak peak. The official time is tomorrow at 9.

5. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I'm pretty sure that "sneak peak" is just the first 4 minutes, not the entire episode.

I have Starz and the tvguide thingy does show that the first episode is playing at 12:17 am, but I'm sure it's wrong.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I just watched the trilogy this week so not really watching it tonight- but I did sneak in between the first and second movie to check out what he said <:

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I assumed it would be just a preview too, but it is listed on the Starz site's schedule as Episode 101 El Jefe, so who knows what's going on:confused: I'll stay tuned to find out I guess.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Naturally I cut back a couple of tiers on my cable plan so Starz is gone. I'll pick up the series on blu-ray as soon as it's available.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

It was the full episode. And it was good stuff!

soxfan666 likes this.
  10. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Well shit on me, you were right! Much to my surprise they showed the whole episode.....and I loved every fucking second of it. Some truly amazing scene chewing from Bruce (as expected). From beginning to end I had a smile that never left my face. The only real complaint I can think of is the cg blood and gore. Some of it looked pretty damn awful.

But yeah, great start. Curious to see how the non Raimi directed episodes turn out.

soxfan666 likes this.
  11. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Just awesome! Bruce is better than ever and I was bummed when the episode ended. I also wonder how the non-Raimi episodes will be, but I think this will be a great show!

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

The CG is really my only complaint, too. I'll live with it.

I was too tired to watch the trilogy; I wanted to since it was being hosted by Campbell. I set my alarm for midnight and thankfully caught the episode.

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I caught this last night. It's always great to see Campbell, and his talent is undiminished. But truthfully, I was disappointed in the show. The CGI is really poor, and totally out of synch with the old school feel of the original trilogy. But worse, a lot of the humor is forced and clumsy. And there's a smarmy, self-satisfied vibe that I find off-putting (very similar to the lesser cameo-infested Kevin Smith films). I didn't really connect with any of the new characters or actors, either.

In terms of quality, this is a whole lot closer to Man With The Screaming Brain or My Name Is Bruce than any of the Evil Dead movies. I'll tune in for at least one more episode. But I have a feeling I won't see the finish line.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Great first episode. Some of the CGI was iffy but I had fun with it regardless.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  15. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I figured a lot would be touchy on the CGI, but I'm fine with it because I've seen bad practical too. The fact that we're getting 10 episodes of ED and a second season is coming as well, I'm not even gonna worry about the little things. The series is pushing 40, the fact we're getting a TV series has to be give or take and is a dream come true. I liked it and obviously it's just setting things up/rehashing what we saw in the trailer in this first episode. If the CGI remains constant, fine, I just want to see Ash hamming it up and splattering deadites just like God intended.

Myron Breck likes this.
  16. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Did not disappoint. So much better than the torturous remake, and has all the spirit of Raimi's original trilogy. Probably a lot more CG than they're confessing to, but the effects are fun as hell. Love Ash's trailer park home and the locations are sweet. Groovy little treat for Halloween.

In Canada, it's available on Super Channel.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

I literally cringed when the little doll bit him in the hand. The animated blood spurt was just awful. Also, the
    decapitation scene was terrible, too. It makes you appreciate ED2 where they cut away and then show the head flying solo in the air. Sometimes less is better.

While it isn't perfect, I had fun with the first episode and will continue to watch. I was such an Evil Dead fan back in the day; there's likely no way I'm going to stop watching, whether it gets worse or not.

18. ClaytonS

ClaytonS New Member

Aside from some very effective sequences (the flashlight!) I really was underwhelmed by this. It certainly feels like a television show: the production design and make up FX look horrifically cheap and as most said the CG is ruinous and not just a minor distraction. The rock score was overbearing and really a detriment to reaching that Evil Dead tone. (Also what happened to Joseph LoDuca?!) It is a joy to see Bruce back in the Ash role but I almost feel like there are too many winks and nods towards the audience. I certainly will continue to tune in being such a fan of the series but if this is how lame duck the show is under the direction of Raimi - I'm really going to lower my expectations for the future episodes

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I agree that the CGI is just terrible in most cases. It's a shame they couldn't do more practical.
    It was a fun episode but I've never been a massive fan of the slapstick humour. I'd be more keen for a sequel to the remake. I'm sure I'll continue watching though.

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

The CGI is definitely iffy but sadly sub-par CGI is frequent in some tv shows and movies. It's something you either accept or keep whining about. The only bit of CGI that bugged me was the head shot(s) at the beginning.

For some reason Raimi loves his crappy CGI. The Spider-Man trilogy, Drag Me to Hell and Oz The Great and Powerful. Those movies had big budgets and the CGI looked blah. His style is best seen with practical effects.

I love my horror serious and silly so all versions of the evil dead franchise work for me.