Evil Dead (TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 25, 2014.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I guess it depends upon how you define work. I doubt making halfway convincing CGI is very easy, either. It has the rep for being easier simply because it's done in a computer, but is it? Maybe if you know what you're doing, but if push comes to shove I'd have an easier time doing stop motion because it's a fairly straight forward concept to understand. How would I go about creating CGI? Is work only measured in how long something has to take and how many times you have to stand up? The work behind modern FX artists don't get the credit they're do for the tools they use, as far as I'm concerned. That said, I also prefer practical effects. But nostalgia likely plays a significant part in that being the age I am.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Good CGI can be impressive for sure but doing good and fluent stop motion is definitely a lot harder, hence why it's becoming a lost art.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Give me bad practical effects over bad CGI any day.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm interested in seeing how the next episodes are going to be without Raimi directing.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I am interested to see how it pans out after the characters are more established but I hated the cgi

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Enjoyed the second episode, fun, tight, less Cgi, couple of crazy kills, looking forward to the next episode.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

This sure was an improvement over the pilot.
    I thought the pilot episode was fun, but a bit uneven and a bit disappointing. I got a little bit worried about the rest of the series.
    But now, with the introduction to the characters out of the way, it went straight into the action.
    And the gore was mostly practical this time. The chainsaw action at the end, brought some old-school fun to the table :D
    The little CGI we got this time, wasn't as bad as in the pilot.
    Loved the crazy shotgun camera angle :D
    I also thought the dialogue was better written and more funny this time around.
    Some of the lines in the pilot, was a bit cringe worthy in comparison.
    The short trailer for part 3 looked pretty damn promising as well, so I'm actually having high hopes for the future episodes.

8. MisterTwister

As much as I love the pilot the second was definitely better. Some awesome crazy gore in this episode.

Love the ED II reference with the deadite singing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Steel76 likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Great to hear people saying the second ep is better. Looking forward to checking it out.

Steel76 and MisterTwister like this.
  10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Episode 2 was much better with much less crapy cgi, im getting on board.

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The second episode was pretty damn bad, I thought. The first one had a nice balance, scarier moments, and more focus on Ash. These sidekicks are starting to annoy. Wish Raimi could have commited himself to doing more episodes. Also, damn these feel short. I think I'm going to start stock-piling a few of them to watch in one sitting. I was sitting down for a nice evening of Evil Dead fun and it was over before I even finished my instant coffee.

12. Wernski

Wernski Member

Just watched episode 2, too; and I have to say I'm very relieved that there wasn't a big drop in quality when Raimi wasn't directing. I wouldn't say it was better than episode 1, but it was right up to par. I really liked the shots with the camera mounted to the shotgun.

I think it's more about stop motion having its own style... Like a water color painting isn't as realistic as a photograph, but I'd rather have a Monet than take a Polaroid and stick it up on my wall. CGI (usually) is like a photo and works best when it's 100% indistinguishable from the rest of the photographic image of film (though there are exceptions, like Sin City, where CGI can also have elected style over realism). Stop-motion looks less real, but that doesn't mean it's also necessarily less appealing.

13. Zombie Dude

I watched episode 2 last night and enjoyed it more than the first as well. The comedy was better in this ep too. They do feel really short for this kind of show though. Just when it start picking up pace and things get interesting it's over.

14. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I don't watch TV, so this is pretty much my first time going through a series as it happens and episode 2 was just so short it was like it was 5 minutes because I enjoyed it so much. This series begs for binge watching and I loved Ash having a badass line or two every 5 minutes in this episode. The punch scene was fucking awesome, it was so awkward, hilarious and fucking classic Ash and Evil Dead. That emotion in those 5-10 seconds reminded me of my first time ever experiencing ED 1 and 2 one night when I was about 12.

This series will be the first Blu-ray I'll purchaase in a long damn time.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was in Walmart tonight and I found "The Very Best of Deep Purple" CD in the $5 budget bin. Needless to say, after watching the first two episodes of Ash Vs The Evil Dead I couldn't resist! :D

16. MisterTwister

Highly disagree. This is Evil Dead not the Walking Dead. The episodes need to be fast paced and action packed with no dramatic soap opera esque bs weighting it down.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I also think the 30 minute format works great.
    I felt like they could have cut out a few things in the pilot and made that into a better flowing 30 min episode as well.
    Gonna be great when the show is released on Blu-Ray, and we basically get a 5+ hour action packed "Evil Dead 4" movie :)

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

30 mins is perfect. Remember that an hour show on network TV is 42 min and a 30 min show is 23. This is perfect.

Loved ep 1 and 2. Appreciated less cgi even if it was budgetary reasons. And yes this is part fan boy / nostalgia speaking where this show can do no wrong.

19. Zombie Dude

Like some others have said, I think this show will work better if you're binge watching a few episodes. At 23 mins as Dave pointed out it ends too quickly. I don't want drama or the snail pace of The Walking Dead, just an actual 30 mins runtime would mean they could cram some more action in there at least.
    It's still fun, just really quick with the week wait in between.

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

This isn't a Network show, though. It's a cable show based on three feature films. So, I'm not quite sure 30 minutes is perfect, unless there's just not enough there to warrant a longer show. Feels like short-attention span syndrome that's more directed to a younger audience. It's like webisodes or something.

This should have been a Netflix or Amazon series where we given all episodes at once. Or, better yet. This could have been a new Evil Dead flick.

Zombie Dude likes this.