Eye been freaked out!

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Heh, heh, yeah I know lame pun, but after watching The Eye last night I'm just glad I didn't have a heart attack or stroke. Not to make light of such things, but man was I freaked out watching this movie. I've never turnned a film off before from being scared, but this one got me as far as grasping the controller in my hand with my finger poised over the "STOP" button.

I went into this one knowing absolutely nothing about it, and I really think you should too. It's the kind of movie that catches you off guard because of it's ambiguity to the horror genre. The Eye is such a vague title and from the first few frames you'd think you were watching one of those films that let's you sympathize with someone whose lost one of their senses and then got it back. And you know what, the film delivers on that level too! But make no mistake, this one is fucking scary. And that's as much as I'm going to say in regards to what it's about.

With all the hype around The Ring and The Grudge it is beyond me how this one flew under the radar for Hollywood remakes. And yes I'm aware I probably just jinxed it by saying that(if there isn't already a remake planned for it :rolleyes: ). Well it flew under my radar any way. I guess I have to stop putting stock in what Hollywood deems to be credible and check out more Asian titles. The Eye, I'm proud to say, is "that film" that has officially caught my interest in Asian horror. 9/10

The ending could have happeed a couple of scenes sooner and maintained the atmospheric reverance that carried through the rest of the film. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

People who love The Eye always seem to hate the sequel (shameless plug, sorry ;) ), but not me. I enjoyed it as much as the first one. Both are great :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You all know my feelings about this one. It got a big fat zero from me. Not scary, a Hollywood blockbuster wannabe, and a lame ending. This, for me, was when my blind love for Asian horror came to an end. Lame movie.

Then I watched the Grudge, and boy, did it take a dip after that :D

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

:eek1: HUH?!?! You're talking about this right?
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0325655/...cT10aGUgZXllfGh0bWw9MXxubT0x;fc=1;ft=231;fm=1
    What didn't you like about it? I did a search for The Eye on these boards and got 500 instances. Do you have a link to your comments?

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yep - that's it. For me it was pretty ineffectual. Hated it. As for seaching, I'll maybe try later. Not only is there an issue with searching for generic terms such as "The Eye" (I was seaching for "The Thing" yesterday, nightmare!) but I've been having horrible performance from the site today. I just tried to search, but it keeps timing out.

OOOOOhhhh! Just as I typed that it came up with a result, only three timeouts this time. Woo hoo!

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=16675

I was the last post, coz as it often the case, I see these things way after everyone else. ;)

6. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

I agree with dwatts. I absolutely hated this. Boring and lame. Plus, something about the ending just troubles me

She gets out of her car, running to the front warning people about the accident that's about to happen. Then the explosion happens and you see all the people that she has warned -and are behind her- get incinerated, and she watches the fire come at her. This just doesn't make sense!! If she warned those people, they are behind her, seeing she ran to the front of the line, where the accident had happened. So if there's an explosion, she should be killed first, followed by all the people she tried to warn, but in the movie it happens the other way around ... or did I miss something?

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Dark Water huh? I'll check that one out next. Too bad you didn't like this man.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think your brain might have been mush by then Spacevis. :D

One of two jump scares does not make a good movie, especially when all but one of those just makes you laugh. :D

Shame, we've been getting along so well lately ;)

My love of "Dark Water" is not shared by everyone here, to be honest. I have watched it many times, terrific. It's my favorite asian film, I guess.

You should check this out: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=23887

9. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

Dark Water is indeed a great great movie. However, I also liked the eye, but I liked Dark Water a lot more.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There IS a remake planned, courtesy of Tom Cruise's production company, or so I've heard. Here's the IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406759/

I liked The Eye, didn't love it. I still haven't seen the sequel, but I will if only due to the presence of Shu Qi. The first film was ok as far as Asian horror goes, but still nowhere near the greatness of A Tale of Two Sisters.

And I have to keep pimping my favorite movie from Thailand, My Suicide, a romantic comedy with a horror parody subplot. One of the scenes is a DIRECT jab at the "elevator scene" in The Eye

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Uhhh, hahaaaaaa...haha...ha... fuckin' shit.

12. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

yeah, that's very probable. I think I even helped the process a little bit

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I loved the Eye too. Everyone I have shown it too seems to love it as well. I guess you can mark this one down as a love it or hate it affair.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  14. I didn't hate it, I just thought it was an unscary Sixth Sense ripoff.

15. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I absolutely loved it upon my first viewing. I thought it was scary as hell, but of course I had gone into it knowing absolutely nothing about it and was just expecting a mediocre affair.

My second viewing reflected my previous preconceptions and I even fell asleep. Thankfully a good friend of mine didn't and she went and purchased it the next day.

When visiting her a few months back, I watched for a third time (?) and goddammit this movie fucking rules. I had totally forgotten about the last thirty minutes and was pretty much just taken away by the whole experience. I can easilly reccomend this film to those who haven't seen it and I would also tell them that if they don't like it upon first viewing to give it some time before watching it again (just don't watch it once and get rid of it). You may be sorry, but goddammit if you weren't before.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I loved The Eye and look forward to eventually seeing the sequel.

17. philxus

philxus New Member

:fire: Not my kind of movie,i tought it was boring as hell,im starting to hate those crappy asian film,they all the same s..t!!! :sleepy:

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah it sucks when a film asks you to pay attention and to have patients. :eek2:

19. shift

shift Hot as shit!

i liked both

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

OK I finally got around to watching this movie last night, and wow! I think this is now right up there in contention for my favourite asian horror film. Heck it may even get into my all-time favourite horror film list. And that ending was....ouch!! Beautifully shot, great acting, enthralling story, some great creepout moments, but not too reliant on jump scares. I think I'm becoming a fan of Angelica Lee after seeing her in Koma and now in this. She makes you really care about her character. Heck, everyone in the movie was great. I can't believe I had this movie sitting on my shelf for so long before watching it. Stupid, stupid, maskull!