Eyes Without a Face - Criterion Collection(1962)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by fatclown, Jul 14, 2005.

1. fatclown

fatclown Guest

Eyes Without A Face" or "Les Yeux Sans Visage" is an eerie film that for the first time viewer might look like a Twilight Zone episode. The music warns of the coming horror which I liked. Also the film's camera angles of Christiane were artistic, I took art class in high school. The blurring made it a bit suspenful I think maybe so it won't disturb you when seeing her face. The acting alright I guess since I myself act like everyone else at work. Beautiful dvd except for a documantery on slaughter houses otherwise A+.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      174 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
  2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Fatclown, thank you for the personal and informative review. I really do hope you contribute more reviews to the site in the future. I am moving this to "Reader Reviews". What did you think of the final shot, Fatclown? I found the shot of
    Christiane letting the birds free and walking off into the distance to be one of the most eerie moments in cinema. She seemed zombie like, whereas the birds were full of life, as if to say that without a face one is without emotion and thus not far from death. She cannot free herself from the anguish caused by her father's experimentation, so instead she frees the only thing close to her with a semblance of life remaining.
    That is my take on it, but I would be interested to hear what you have to say.

3. fatclown

fatclown Guest

To me when she goes into the woods I wished the movie kept on going just to see what happens next. But then again I don't live in the woods.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Why would you not living in the woods matter? As a former art student, you should be able to handle abstract thoughts like a bee does honey.

5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I saw this recently too....amazing film that still packs a wallop today.

I loved the final scene too.

6. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

One of my favorite foreign horror films. But although it was gruesome, I thought "Blood Of The Beasts" was most excellent. What didn't you like about it?

7. Noto

Noto Guest

I think you are correct. I once lived in the woods, and after I saw that she went into the woods I was left satisfied. But then again I don't live in the woods any longer, so maybe my opinion may differ at this time.

This gives me much to ponder. [​IMG]

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I actually like Blood of the Beasts quite a bit, although not because it is sick or anything. It's a disturbingly beautiful and haunting film in the strangest of ways, even though I feel like I've been kicked in the gut when watching it. It acts both as documentary and as a surrealism piece.

9. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

This is hands down my favorite 50's horror film, at least out of the fairly limited amount I've seen. Everything is excellent! The story, the characters, the acting, the music, the cinematography, the set design, all is top notch. I don't remember the last scene of her walking into the woods however, just
    her father's grisly demise, this is probably the most vicious animal attack scene I've seen in a film

Personally, I find the Blood Of The Beasts documentary to be worth the price of this disc alone. It is an absolutely beautiful and atrociously disgusting piece of work contradicting the beauty of Paris and the grisly going-ons of a slaughterhouse. I'm just glad it's not color, for then it would be damn near unwatchable.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Cool creepy flick. And yeah, I liked the documentary on the disc also. Worth getting!!!

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Hard to say that I *liked* BLOOD OF THE BEASTS but it's a powerful documentary. I liked that the narrator mentions that the work is hard and that the butchers are putting food on their tables and on the tables of others.

12. tobaccoman

Just as a correction to the thread title, I believe the film was released in 1959 and not '62.

13. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm getting this release asap. I'm on a Criterion kick right now (which is an expensive kick to be on in the first place) and this film is on the top of my list right now. It looks awesome and I want to check out that documentary on the disc.

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

My sentiments exactly. The only reason why I haven't got the disc yet is because Blood of the Beasts is double edged. I know for a fact that I would probably end up watching it more than Eyes, but I also know that I'd have a tendency to put it on at the wrong time, you know? Sometimes I just don't need that crap floating in my head.

15. tobaccoman

Yeah, I do watch it more than the movie itself, but that's just because it's so short. I just moved out of my hometown a couple years ago so any time a friend pops by I'm compelled to force them to watch it. It's disturbing and I feel bad for saying this, but after watching it so many times I've actually started doing an MST treatment for it.

"Oh by the way, you smell great today. Just like a dead horse!"

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

What a great film. One of my favorite European horror movies, and one of the most poetic also. Franju knows a lot about serious drama and he knows his stuff. The final scene brings me tears now and then.

And the documentary is more powerful than all the Guinea Pig and Faces Of Death series put together. And has a point beyond exploitation.

17. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

This is a film I had had at the top of my most wanted list for YEARS, and thanks to Criterion, I was FINALLY able to see it. And unlike a lot of films that I've longed to see and then finally do, this one actually lived up to my expectations. A beautiful, amazing film any self-respecting horror fan needs to see.

And about Blood of the Beasts, it's indeed beautifully done, but I really don't like it, just due to the fact that I'm such an animal lover. It's very strange that I can watch people die in real death videos without feeling disgusted at all, but throw on animal on there, and I turn it off. And yeah, I eat meat...I'd just rather not see it while it's alive ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005