fake anchor bay dvds?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dave13, Oct 28, 2008.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Something thats been bothering me recently. I picked up a copy of AB's OOP Scars of Dracula DVD on ebay. It appeared to be factory sealed, and had the anti-theft strip with the disc title across the top edge. The disc cover had the red circle advertising the LE bonus disc with the "Many faces of christopher lee" documentary on it. When I opened the case, there was only the first disc, and, to top that off, there was no chapter insert. The mislabled package and the missing chapter insert have made me wonder if this might be a really good quality rip-off, since I'm pretty sure its OOP, and the price was surprisingly good. Any thoughts on this? Anyone know if there are fake AB discs floating around?

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Haven't heard of any fakes, but if there's money to be made it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Does the existing disc look legit? Things to look for:

Is the playing surface silver?

In the inner ring of the play side, there is the code "D17861 5" on mine. A barcode looking thing is also on that ring, opisite side of code.

The artwork side is semi-smooth, but with slight rises on the title and Lee's face (same art as the cover). If you rub your fingeryip across it, you should feel the bumps. The black background is smooth.

If you have dvdprofiler, check to see if the disc id is correct. I'm sure there's programs to find these besides profiler, but I don't which/what. Profiler says the disc id is 34B301BB70436C62 [Scars of Dracula], although if it's slightly off it's probably fine as different pressing wind up with slightly different id's. If it has [dvdvolume] or [mydvd] in the end, it's fake as hell. A good boot might take time to write the title in so it displays, but most don't know of this trick or won't waste the time to do it.

Hope it ends up being legit for ya. Sucks to hear about disc 2 and the inserts (there's 2, a one-fold booklet for Scars and card for Many Faces) not being there.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Missing chapter inserts wouldn't make me believe it was a fake by that alone. When I bought a copy of Def-Con 4 it was missing a chapter insert. I emailed Anchor Bay and they promptly Fed-Ex'ed the insert to me overnight, free! :)

Does the disc itself appear fake, or like a DVD-R or something? I wouldn't think that bootleggers would bother with duplicating the anti-theft strips... :eek2:

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

There was no insert in my DVD of Visiting Hours...is there supposed to be one? I might ask them to send me one.

~Matt

5. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Yeah, I don't think there is supposed to be one in Visiting Hours - my copy didn't come with any insert. Didn't they discontinue inserts around the same time as this was released?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I looked at my AB copy of Scars of Dracula. I have the same inserts as bigdaddyhorse. The numbes on the center of my disc are D17861-4 and on the Faces disc D18097-1. The main disc number ends in 4 instead of 5 like bigdaddyhorse's, but maybe that's a regional code (?).

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

You guys just made me check all my AB discs, and all of them have inserts. I have a bunch of other non-AB DVD's that are not boots and have no inserts though. It doesn't really bother me either way.

I say you contact them like BigDaddy did and see if they hook you up.

As far as the anti-theft strip goes, it could easily be from another DVD's case. Maybe even the entire case itself.

8. Katatonia

True, but he said it had the disc's title printed on the strip as the older AB discs usually had.

My copy of Visiting Hours also didn't come with any insert. I also think it was around the same time that AB stopped including inserts with all of their releases. Did anyone actually get a copy with an insert included in their keepcase?

They still do include inserts with certain releases, but very few.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was gonna say, there was an insert on the 20th AE of Hellraiser, and same with the Evil Dead UE. (A poster/replica anyway). I loved their old card inserts, with the original poster artwork. Great stuff.

~Matt

10. Mutilated Prey

Ah, missed that part. Well, if the dood was really going for a bootleg sale he could have just used his case from the original - not sure anyone cares to keep the original of that, but at the same time why wouldn't he bootleg the second disc if he's gonna go through all this hassel. I guess it comes down to the DVD itself with all the serials n' such. But still, missing the second disc is screwed up. Did you contact the seller and tell them it was missing that disc? Is it worth contacting AB to say that disc is missing?

11. Katatonia

I think we really need more information from dave13...

Was the case a single-disc or double-disc keepcase? Meaning; was one disc missing from a 2nd holder inside the case? I've bought at least two DVD and CD's before which were perfectly factory sealed, but missing the disc(s). Simple manufacturing flukes.

It would indeed seem to be an elaborate and inept bootleg if the seller copied the anti-theft strip and the "bonus disc" sticker on the front...and then didn't bootleg and include the 2nd disc? :eek1:

It also apparently isn't too rare or OOP, as Amazon still stocks the product for under $10, as do many other online stores I've checked.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  12. Mutilated Prey

Yeah, I was going to mention the "bonus disc" sticker too. It sounds more and more like an AB packaging screw up.

13. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I don't think AB has abandoned inserts altogether. My Phantasm IV DVD has an insert and that came out way after Visiting Hours.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks for the info, everybody. Its a single disc keep case, and by and large everything looks legit. Does anyone know if there WERE any single disc editions of this sold? the serial # on the back is DVSS-500270A1 1 and it has a bar code on the opposite side. Now that i think about it, the back doesn't show any signs of being recorded either. Also, the ebay seller is a little odd. The disc was listed as "limited edition", but in the fine print it did say "# of discs: 1". maybe i'll call AB. if the disc is still in print, then maybe i can at least get the insert. i was pretty disappointed by the lack of the second disc though.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's just some releases. MGM's kindof like that now. Some DVDs (like the SE's of The Graduate, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Red Dawn and even Return of the Living Dead) had inserts, but others (like WarGames SE and Child's Play SE) had nothing. Although at one point in time, they had completely abandoned inserts in their DVDs.

~Matt

16. bigdaddyhorse

I bet that last digit is a batch number or something like that, seeing how the rest are the same.

The circle mentioning the bonus disc isn't actually a sticker. It looks like one, but is printed on the cover.

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

The second disc was a limited time offer. Looks like they forgot to change the cover on the one disc versions. They might have left out the insert as well. Doubt it's a bootleg though.

18. bigdaddyhorse

That serial number isn't even close to mine, mine is 0 1313 11466 9 1, right under the barcode. Doesn't sound right to have letters in it, I've never seen a UPC # with letters before.:eek1:

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

UPC#? I was reading the printed number off the back of the disc itself. around the hole in the middle. Maybe i missunderstood. when i get back home from work i'll check the upc.

20. bigdaddyhorse

My bad, I was the one who misunderstood. I saw "numbers on the back" and brainfarted.

Check the UPC too just to be sure, but I imagine that will be the same even if it's a well done boot.
    That serial number is pretty far off, but that might easily mean nothing but another factory (call it fac. B) making batches while mine and Harry's are from fac. A . I know from dvdprofiler that those disc ID numbers can vary greatly, but I never could find a decoder ring for what they all mean.:eek:

If it's a silver playing surface I doubt it's fake, and the beauty of dvds is that even fakes are real to an extent. I mean if you have an old single layer dvd, and make a full copy of it, it's identical to the original content-wise. Not like VHS where you lose parts of info and the image deterioates. The only difference is mentally knowing it's a copy. I know some feel different about that part and I'm not condoning buying or selling boots, just saying it's not as bad.:confused:

I think it's legit, although I can't explain the missing inserts or second discs. Very few of my dvd-r's have inner rings with any kind of numbers or barcodes.
    In case I'm getting confusing, here's a scan of the Scars disc (upper left) compared to 3 other dvd-r's. While some dvd-r's have numbers on the ring, they all have a very different look and none have barcodes.
    [​IMG]

Obviously the silver vs. purple playing surface is the biggest giveaway, but just the style/font/placement of the numbers can be too.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008