Fall Frights From Fox

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 28, 2004.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Fox will be releasing a bunch of much requested horror titles on September 7th. Freed from their vaults are:

• The Alligator People
    • The Boston Strangler
    • Island of the Dead
    • Reign in Darkness
    • Hear No Evil
    • Blood Moon,
    • Creepy Crawlers
    • Basket Case: The Progeny
    • The Vanishing (1996)
    • Terror Train

All will be presented in their original aspect ratios, and widescreen titles will be anamorphically encoded. It looks like fans will finally be able to throw away the widescreen TV dubs of Terror Train. It's about time! Each one will set you back $14.95.

Those who thought Elite's Millenium release of Night of the Living Dead was the last word on Romero's original, think again. Fox will be releasing the grandfather of modern zombie films on the 7th as well. The release will feature both the black and white cut as well as the bastardized colorized version in the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio. The audio will be in glorious mono. There are a few new supplements that may entice fans for yet another trip to the DVD well, as Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will provide a commentary. A "Celebrity Zombie" game and a few horror trailers will also be included to round off the disc. Like Fox's other titles, this one will be a slim $14.95. Thanks to DVD File for the scoop.

Needless to say, this is shaping to be one of the busiest fall seasons ever for horror films on DVD.

Attached Files:

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

If that MST guy is doing a MST type commentary for NOTLD, count me out of buying this release... you can't make fun of that film... just can't. :)

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think the release of NOTLD by Fox might be a sign of things looking up for the fourth Dead flick. Just a hunch.

4. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

hell yeah, Terror Train finally!! and I'll probably break down and get NOTLD too!!

5. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Terror Train, you will be mine - oh yes, you will be mine.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Urgh, the volume might be there, but it might not as good at it seems, imo.

The Alligator People (we have another thread on that though) looks good.

Which "Island of the Dead" is that?

The only Reign in Darkness I can find is a newer film (2002) Is that the one they're talking about? Anyone know it?

Which Hear No Evil is that? I hope it's not the 1993 release, which sounds really lame.

What is Blood Moon?

EDIT: No way in hell I'd pay for a colorized version of NOTLD and another commentary. That title had been milked dry.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  7. Stige

Stige Active Member

thanks god i recently bought the anchorbay uk dvd of terror train. I usually have to wait a few months before i buy the same title....................................oh well

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I think I'll double dip for NOTLD. I have the Millenium Edition, but I first saw this film in color back when I was around 13. So, the colorized version would be a cool bonus for me unto itself.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I think that anyone who dares to make fun of NOTLD on an OFFICIAL release - thus making an OFFICIAL statement that this movie is for laughs - should be castrated with sandpaper and dipped in vinegar.

10. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I feel you, man. I'll be getting this new Terror Train too.

11. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I'll be picking up the NOTLD for sure. This is a new colorization job, not that shitty version Hal Roach Studios put out in the mid 80's. If it is anything like the remaster job that fox did with Reefer Madness, this should rival the Millenium Edition in quality, and could possibly trump it. Color me excited.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm glad Fox is putting out Terror Train.
    Kinda odd they are also releasing Basket Case III ... I guess we will never see the unrated version?

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i heard that a official greenlight for romero's 4th dead film has been confirmed
    and even better news that it will start this october before diamond dead

14. nekropimp

nekropimp Guest

I wonder what'll happen to BASKET CASE 2? I suppose it'll just sit in limbo. Maybe I'll just get the import double feature of 2 & 3.

15. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Yes, I can finally stop bitching to Fox about not releasing Terror Train. It's about time. :banana:

16. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

a colorize NOTLD...wtf? Worst idea of the year...and a MST commentary is the second worst.

Terror Train is going to be a cool title to own.

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Cool to see Terror Train finally released, however I think the NOTLD re-release will pale in comparison to the Millenium edition. But for those who dont want to spend the ca$h on the Millenium edition its a good idea. The rest of those Fox titles are pretty obscure though, with the exception of The Boston Strangler. Alligator People...When is Alligator finally gonna be released stateside..C'mon Anchor Bay!!

18. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

I, fior one, am looking forward to the NOTLD relase form Fox, just because i'm an MST3K fan, and I always wondered what it would be like to see them (or Mike, at least) riff a good film. This and Terror Train are going into my collection.

19. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    There is no question that the extras will not be as good as the Millenium Edtition, but the print will rival, perhaps even surpass the M.E.. I'd imagine most folks that would be interested in this disc would already have a version of NOTLD on the shelf. Also, it may not have those annoying screen freezes that the M.E. has.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- perhaps even surpass the M.E--

Boy, this is an interesting concept. I can't imagine it looking better until we get hi-definition and blu-ray. If they do get it better, I might buy it just as a treat for my corneas.