Famous horror films you have not seen

Discussion in 'General' started by thing, Jan 5, 2014.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    Christmas Evil
    Lizard in a Woman's Skin
    The Innocents
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Double Wow.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

"Famous" falls by the wayside in our circles. But, here's my list:

The Wicker Man (Original, of course- I could have watched it on YouTube but the quality sucked. Also, I have a problem with not knowing what version to watch. Nobody ever talks about the huge difference in the 80 and 100 minute versions. I would think there's a huge difference.)

Possession (1981)
    Lair of the White Worm
    Ravenous
    Lifeforce
    Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
    Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    (1978) (or Abel Ferrara's remake)
    Phantasm III
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
    Return to Salem's Lot
    Curse of Chucky
    The Last Winter
    The Devil's Advocate
    The Devil's Backbone
    Cronos
    (1993)
    Baby Blood (1990)
    Species
    Nightbreed
    Two Evil Eyes
    Stagefright / Aquarius
    Pieces
    Mother's Day
    Evil Dead Trap
    Junk
    Three... Extremes
    (though I've seen the feature-length version of Dumplings)
    either of the Sorority Row's
    Inside (again, I have not seen one French horror film worth a shit- I do not think I would handle it well if this sucked as hard as the others)
    Let the Right One In
    Let Me In
    Jennifer's Body
    Ed and His Dead Mother
    Remote Control
    Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat
    The Boogens
    The Willies
    Spookies
    Strange Behavior
    Slime City
    Body Melt
    Honeymoon Horror
    Nightmare Weekend
    Nightmare Sisters
    Zombie Island Massacre

any of the Puppet Master films, not after I was a kid- and then I only saw pieces of them as I flipped the channels

Terror Train, The American Scream, American Gothic, Fear No Evil, Evilspeak, Fanatic / The Last Horror Film, The Night Brings Charlie, Fright Night Part 2, Halloween 8, Critters 3, House 4, Amityville 4, 5, 7, 8, Prom Night 3, 4, Stepfather 2, 3, American Psycho 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, 4, Exorcist III, Howling VI, Silent Night Deadly Night 4, 5, Bride of Re-Animator, Ginger Snaps 2, or any of the Mirror, Mirror franchise though I'm guessing these aren't much of a big deal

And for some inexplicable reason, I really want to see The Forsaken.

This is all post-mid 60's. Previous to that, and I'm lumping in Vincent Price stuff he did after Witchfinder General (which I have seen, unfortunately), I've only seen 2 Hammer films period, maybe 2 Amicus films, I missed a couple Roger Corman's (especially The Terror - I think it's called, the one with Boris Karloff that's public domain right now or used to be - and Little Shop of Horrors), a freaking slew of sci-fi stuff from the 50's, Dr. Phibes and sequel, The Innocents, Freaks, Blood and Roses, Blood and Black Lace, Whip and the Body, Diabolique, Night of the Hunter, Return of the Fly, Village of the Damned and sequel, ... you know what, the list I have seen is shorter.

The Mummy is overrated but worth watching to say you've seen it.

I personally find The Wolf Man the best of the Universal lot that I've seen. So, I say: see it right now.

Wish I could say I'd never seen them.

This and Corman's The Masque of the Red Death are the 2 horror films you drop everything you're doing right this minute to watch if you've never seen them before.

If you're in any way not 90% satisfied, I'll... I don't have a hat, so I can't eat my hat. And I'm broke, so I can't pay you. Just trust me, they're 2 of the greatest horror films I have ever seen.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The first one is great fun! The rest are tough to sit through.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

So basically you have only seen stuff from the 90's and you loved them so much you stopped there. Actually a lot of the films you mentioned aren't really that "famous".

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen The Bodyguard. Or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Those were two of the most popular movies my senior year of high school and to this day I'm still afraid to see them.

But on a serious note, I've been dying to see The Innocents for ages.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

You got some watching to do. In some ways I'm envious I can't see some of those for the first time again, but more I look at your list and feel you've just missed some great shit.

No Friday with (true) zombie or robot Jason? No Halloween with little Danielle Harris, or Busta Ryhmes? No New Nightmare (you're doing yourself a favor missing the rest of those in all likelihood)? None of he cheese of He Who Walks Behind the Rows with young Eva Mendes and that Alexis Arquette freak before becoming a woman? And you're a mod on a horror site! Get to those boxsets and get to work man, you're missing some of the most important films, in both good and very bad ways, in every major horror series!

I'd say I'm speechless, but it sounds wrong after a speech.:D

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think next years Franchise Harvest has your name on it.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Honestly, even though there's a LOT of good movies on your never-seen list (and a lot of movies I certainly wouldn't call "famous". Hell, I haven't even heard of some of them. What the hell is Body Melt??), there's only two that I think are must-sees for any true horror fan: The Wicker Man and Let The Right One In.

As far as which version of The Wicker Man, I don't think it matters as much as you think. I do prefer the shorter "theatrical version" as I think longer versions give away a little too much of the mystery. Less is more, so to speak. A few gaps in the narrative keep you as in the dark as the protagonist. That all said, there's a supposed "final" version soon to be released on Blu, the one that made the theatrical rounds back in October. If you made that your first viewing, that's an acceptable option.

Let The Right One In shows what the horror genre is truly capable of. Let's face it, oftentimes we have to excuse bad acting, preposterous setups, and questionable actions in our genre of choice. But even though LTROI begins with the already non-existent concept of vampirism, it's also an excellent character study. The acting, the photography, all top-notch. Let The Right One In happens to be a great film, regardless of the genre. The fact that it's horror is merely a bonus.

Nope, the only one of that bunch that I do feel I "need" to see is New Nightmare. In fact, I wish I hadn't seen several of the ones that I have, as many sequels subvert the originals (example, Michael Myers being Laurie's brother) to the point where the original is queered. Don't give me any of that "Oh, you can watch xxxxx without thinking of the sequels", because you simply can't UN-watch something you've seen. For example, can you watch Star Wars (A New Hope) without the knowledge that Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Leia is his sister? Of course you can't.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

You scared me there for a second. When I read the first sentence of this paragraph, I thought you were talking about the original and the remake. :eek:

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The Last House on the Left (original) and I Spit on Your Grave.

Rape-revenge films are not what I want to watch. No interest.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm at the point where a lot of remakes just don't exist to me. I got tired of having to qualify "...the original" when referring to a lot of my favorite horror movies like Carrie, Dawn of the Dead, The Wicker Man, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. So to me, those movies have no remakes, along with Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Black Christmas, I Spit on Your Grave, Assault on Precinct 13, and I'm sure there's others but I blot those out of my consciousness. And nor do I allow for the distinction of a "reboot", as if that forgives people from making a crappy movie with the same name as a good movie that had nothing wrong with it to begin with.

13. Rft183

Rft183 Member

I have to agree. If we need to qualify anything, it should be the so-called remakes!

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Like...The Fog!!! :nervous:

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was going to spin it that way, yes. :D I'm just not a big Slasher fan, so there are probably dozens more "famous" ones I hadn't seen yet. I actually read all the Eric Morse Friday the 13th books in grade school! When I was old enough I just didn't prioritize them, Jason was sorta "been there done that" for me. 2013 was going to be THEE catch up year for Jason, "CAUSE IT'S 2013! GET IT?!?!?" but that didn't happen either.

Back when I joined this place was more about the Dead trilogy and Giallo and John Carpenter. It seems to have drifted heavily towards 80's Slashers since...

On the other hand I've seen all but a few of the Universal Horrors. (Mostly the one off's; I have seen all the core franchises and their sequels.)

I've also seen the vast majority of the Hammer Horrors.

16. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

Troll 1 & 2
    House IV
    Leprechaun 2-6
    Wicker Man 2
    11/11/11
    Mirrors 2
    Carrie (remake)
    Blacula
    Three Extremes 2

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The Innocents; Freaks; Eyes Without a Face; The Wicker Man (original); Possession; Salem's Lot

18. j tea

j tea New Member

Ive never seen Jaws, but I have actually seen 2, 3, and even 4.

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch
    The Tenant
    Inside
    Freaks
    Evil Dead Trap
    Lifeforce
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
    The Innocents
    Eyes Without a Face
    Troll 1 & 2
    Cannibal Ferox
    A Serbian Film (though I have no desire to see it)

I've seen none of the Hellraiser, Howling, Prom Night, or Candyman sequels

I've barely seen any Hammer or Universal horror films, i've only seen The Curse of Frankenstein, The Horror of Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

You can un-watch somethings, but you need help.
    For instance, I have unwatched both The Fog remake and The Item. Completely erased from memory (except that I know I did one time waste time on each of them). Just hate it enough, add a little weed, let sit 6-12 months and they are fucking gone!:banana::banana::banana::banana:
    Plus I never let bad sequels or remakes change my feelings on the originals I love. I treat them as separate entities and ignore the dumb shit (like druid Michael, space Jason even though I love Jason X, etc.).

The fuck? How could this even happen? You missed the one good one, get on it ASAP! Unless you are trying to be "reverse-Paff" and only watch sequels while ignoring the originals. I'd salute your balls if you try to do that, but would question your brain at the same time.;)