Fantasy Dawn of the Dead Casting

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Grim, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

With all this talk about the remake, who would you like to play those classic roles? I do realize that the remake will not have the same characters but we can always dream.

i haven't decided on my picks yet but it was brought up in the other thread of Sean Williamn Scott playing Roger, I actually think that would work, as long as he didn't do all the stupid shit he usually does.

2. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    If it were an exact remake, then I have a cast in mind that I have been thinking about for a while now

Peter - Michael Jai White
    [​IMG]

Fran - Kate Blanchett
    [​IMG]

Flyboy - David Schwimmer
    [​IMG]

Roger - Woody Harrelson
    [​IMG]

Michael Jai White would be perfect for his voice (exactly the same depth as Foree) and his martial arts skills

I think that Schwimmer is perfect because he can play the best wuss (similar to his performance in band of brothers)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, here we go, I have multiple pics for each person.

Peter:
    I'd say either Michael Jai White, like ekent, or Wesley Snipes. If Tony Todd was about ten years younger maybe he would work.

Roger:
    I have three picks for him. I'd say either Sean William Scott, Christian Slater, or Stephen Dorff.

Stephen:
    This was tough, maybe Kyle MacLachlan or Chris Kattan, after seeing him play the freaked out wimp in House on Haunted Hill I think he would do well. Jake Gyllenhaal would be perfect if he wasn't so young.

Fran:
    Ekent hit it right on the nose, I couldn't pick a better choice than Kate Blanchett.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I will not let my thread die!!!!:banana: :banana:

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I could see Stephen Dorf for Roger. It seems like you are trying to cast Roger too cool though.

I don't like Kattan as Steven Andrews. Steve needs to have a bit of smoothness about him, but underneath zero confidence and insecure as a mofo.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, I'm also trying to get within reasonable age boundaries, I figure Roger was in his late twenties/early thirties so I was trying to get guys within that age range. The more I think about it Chris Kattan would be a bad choice, but I'm still sticking by Kyle MacLachlin.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Oh... there's only one answer to the question of who should have been cast in a remake of Dawn of the Dead:

NO ONE!

There never should have been a remake. Dawn of the Dead is impossible to adapt to the millennium, unless the mall is done away with entirely. Dawn was about mid-to-late 70's consumer culture and where it was training Americans to ignore their real life problems. 2004's (and, frankly, today's) equivalent to that is the internet. Everyone kind of knows that.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The last time I went to a mall was the Monroeville Mall about three years ago. It's so different there (inside and out) that I'll never return. I can't believe stores in malls can even turn a profit with the high operating costs.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

I don't see how that has anything to do with the movie itself. Sure, the social climate was significantly different in the 70s then 2004. But malls still exists to this today, even 12 years after the fact. Why wouldn't it be feasible for people to find safety and shelter there in the middle of a zombie shit storm?

I had many mixed feelings about the Dawn remake. I was a 20 year old with the "Fuck all remakes" mindset. And remaking Dawn of the Dead was about as equivalent to rape as far as crimes go. Saw it in the theater and proclaimed "It was an ACTION movie! How dare they!" but after repeat viewings, I've grown to appreciate it for it's sheer entertainment value. Violent, funny at times, and the baby scene is downright creepy.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The film isn't about taking refuge from a zombie outbreak. It's about:

A) the breakdown of civilization in relation to C.

B) the difficulty of people to work together in relation to C.

C) the attitudes of the era: commercialization / materialism was a drug. The mall represented the hypnosis and false promises of advertising culture (notice all the shots of mannequins?) (the creepy shot of Fran staring in the mirror like a maniac-but it was just the makeup she was wearing that made her look like a mannequin/zombie?) (the constant "Attention, Shoppers!" loud speaker announcements) (the music that played while we watched closeups of the characters' hands diving into food containers, bags, the cash register, tilted angles of the characters in the individual shops, trying on clothes, playing with golf equipment, playing video games, wearing furs, the severed animal heads mounted on the gunshop wall) as a distraction from real life / real time problems. Lifestyle escapism.

[​IMG]

Remember that scene in The Mist where the stupid religious lady talked a huge group of people into crowd-surf picking up the bagging cashier or the young good-looking military guy (whoever) and throwing him outside to feed to the monsters/creatures? Well, that was an example of herd / mob mentality. Or, zombie-like thinking in a group of people. Dawn of the Dead represents that mindset of people who are making your decisions for you because they as a group have decided to stay at the mall. But what happens when the zombies are too numerous to stop? Or a group of bikers or more sophisticated breakers-in destroy the group's sanctuary? Etc. Well, Fran was the lone member of the group who focused her attention on having an escape plan. The rest of the guys / all of the guys focused on staying at the mall. It got 2 of them killed and the 3rd almost killed himself.

All because of what Fran describes in this scene (this is my upload on my YouTube channel, so I cut the clip down to just the relevant quote):

Yeah, but, I'm a snob.

I've always been a snob.

I'll likely be a snob when I die.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Because majority of malls are filled with nothing but useless shit now. I wouldn't want to be fighting zombies in a mall filled with nothing but dam clothes!!! I'd rather take my chances at a Super Walmart lol!!!! :p If zombies were real they would all be trying to go back to the Apple store to get an iphone.

zbinks likes this.
  12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

God. This blast from the past of a thread. I can feel the stubble of my 17-year old scumstache through my posts above.

I'm going to do this again, but this time, I'm going to throw race and gender out the window.

Stephen - Alfie Allen. Absolutely. His performance as Theon Greyjoy has shown that he can play a guy who thinks he's a hotshot but is actually completely out of his depth and cracks under pressure. I think my earlier pick of Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty on point today as well. Nightcrawler showed he could play weasly well.

Peter - Michael Shannon or Danai Gurira. I think both have that quiet, wide-eyed intensity and "I get shit done and ain't got time for bullshit" attitude that Ken Foree brought to the role.

Roger - Dan Stevens showed he could play a skilled soldier with a screw loose pretty well in The Guest. Demographically he is also similar to the original actor. If we're going for a bit more aloof, innocent and ultimately tragic direction, how about Ray Santiago of Ash vs. Evil Dead fame?

Fran - Maika Monroe or Jane Levy. They're both kind of the horror "it" girls right now. Monroe seems adept displaying that subdued dread and melancholy that Gaylen Ross made so central to Fran's character. Levy could take it in a completely different direction and do a Fran much more similar Patricia Tallman's Barbara in NOTLD90.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

photo-copy4-1024x768.jpg