Favorite Bela Lugosi movie?

Discussion in 'General' started by jae, Jun 29, 2001.

1. jae

jae Guest

OK All you classic horror fans (all 3 of you :) ), whats your favorite Lugosi movie? Its hard for me to decide since along with Vincent Price, Lugosi is my favorite horror actor.

Dracula - while not the greatest movie (the 2nd half drags and though I still love it, I have to be in the right mood to really enjoy it otherwise it puts me to sleep) this has got to be his most famous role and I think really shows him at his best. First half is great, he has some great lines and even in the 2nd half theres a hint of that 40s/50s cheesiness to come in some of his lines. Like when hes talking to Van Helsing: 'Now that you have low-earned what you have low-earned..'

The Devil Bat - one of my favorites. Lugosi as a mad scientist/chemist getting back at the family who got rich off cosmetics he developed by breeding giant killer bats in his secret underground laboratory. Really funny (the 2 reporters have a chemistry not unlike an Abbott and Costello or the 2 guys from The Mummy's Hand) and Lugosi is terrific especially delivering lines like 'Bombastic ignoramus!'. (!!)

There are others.. I really enjoy Bride of the Monster despite claims that Ed Wood couldn't make a good movie. I think this one was quite good and alot more coherent than Plan 9 and has a great performance by Lugosi. My Son the Vampire, didn't think it was all that funny at first then I re-read my review a couple months later and found it was almost all positive, bought the DVD and now I love it. There are still many I haven't seen: The Black Cat, Invisible Ray, Murders in the Rue Morgue.. hopefully one day :)

2. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

they made a movie out of Murders in the Rue Morgue? i did not know that...

but anyhoo, i'm not a big fan of Lugosi, but my favorite is probably Plan 9 From Outer Space. not to say its any good. its sure as hell entertaining though:D

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Mine would be a toss up between White Zombie and Dracula - of course. :D Actually, I've got to go with Drac, I mean, Lugosi IS Dracula. It is a shame that Dracula is so flawed in it's pace, but if we're just going on merits of character acting, I'll take Bela in Dracula. White Zombie's pace ain't all that great either, but it is pretty dang cool nonetheless. Also, I recently watched the S.O.S. Coast Guard serial, and that was great. Not only did Bela do a great job playing the sinister Boroff, but the action was really well done. No falling asleep during the second half on this one!

4. jae

jae Guest

Not a Lugosi fan?!! :) Yeah they made a movie of it I believe back in 1932. :)

5. jae

jae Guest

Yeah White Zombie is pretty cool. I love that scene where Lugosi slips that drug in his enemies drink and just sits back and watches.. 'Its unfortunate that you are unable to speeak..' :)

Despite the flaws in Dracula, I still like Lugosi's version much better than the Spanish version. The camerawork is a little better at times but its just as slow as the other. Its actually slower, running 30minutes longer and the 2nd half is just as stagey! Plus it doesn't benefit at all from Lugosi, Frye and Van Sloan.

Haven't seen S.O.S. Coast Guard yet but it sounds interesting. The only serial I've seen was Lugosi's The Phantom Creeps. (If you like Rob Zombie, he poses with the robot from the movie on the back cover of his CD). I thought it was pretty slow. Lugosi is terrific and the robot is just amazing looking but much of the action involves car chases and shoot-outs without Lugosi involved. Though it was interesting to see Edward Van Sloan from Dracula playing the head of a crime gang!

6. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i don't HATE him or anything. just...not a big fan, heh.

7. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I'd have to say 1935's "The Raven". Haven't you guys seen that one ?. Some say he goes completely over the top, but I think he's brilliant. Like Price, when given a meaty part, he's totally into it enjoying it all the way. His character is utterly insane, torturing people left, right and centre. I don't think he ever had a more satisfying role after this one. It was also the only time he was billed before co-star Karloff. He was also good in "The Mystery Of The Marie Celeste", "The Invisible Ray", "Black Friday", "Dark Eyes Of London" and 1934's "The Black Cat". His small part in "The Body Snatcher" was also good. Even in crap like "Ape Man", "Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla", and "Return Of The Ape Man". By the way, I really enjoy "Dracula"s filmed-theater pace, and the fact that it has little, or no music. In my opinion it doesn't take anything away from the atmosphere, but adds to it. Same goes for "White Zombie".

8. jae

jae Guest

I've only seen The Raven once and it was awhile back but yeah he was great in that. I remember him having this terrific maniacal laugh in that one. Plus the scene with the girls room that was built sort of like an elevator so that when someone went into the room he was staring into a pit because her whole room went down to basement level. Thats kind of getting off the subject of Lugosi though. :) But yeah he really upstaged Karloff in that one so he deserved top billing.

9. Chucky P

Chucky P Guest

I Love old Bela Lugosi movies even the bad ones. Dracula is cool but my favorite one was the Black Cat where he was the anti hero in that one (what he does to Boris Karloff at the end of that one is classic) I wish he made more movies with Ulmer that guy was a genius with a limted budget, check out those sets! Also he was cool in The Island of Dr. Moreau as the leader of experiments with his most famous line "He Can Die" when figure out they can kill humans and go after Charles Laughton. White Zombie was good and I should get that Roan disc before it goes out of print. The Phantom Creeps was funny as hell, don't miss the last chapter when blows up the Hinderberg! :D

10. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Yeah, that manic grinning in "The Raven" is a pure classic. Apart from his heroic turn in "The Black Cat", check out his stint in "The Invisible Ray". -Remember his classic line when talking about Karloff's radiated scientist ?.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Here's potentially good news for Lugosi fans. VCI is releasing a restored blu-ray of The Dark Eyes of London (The Human Monster). The existing releases are pretty abysmal, and I'd really like to see this in decent quality--but it's VCI. Let's hope they get one right. I'd say they're due.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mon...-eyes-of-london-the-human-monster-t73494.html

It's more of a detective yarn than a horror movie, and more of an interesting obscurity than a lost classic. But it has some creepy atmosphere and an enjoyable performance from Lugosi. I'll be happy to grab this if they get the transfer right. With VCI, I should probably put that "if" in all caps.

russweiss and Erick H. like this.
  12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of DARK EYES OF LONDON (remade as a German Krimi in 1961 as DEAD EYES OF LONDON) and Bela is wonderfully heartless in it.

shape22 likes this.
  13. shape22

Yes! When I finally got to see it, I was initially a little disappointed. I'd seen photos of it (especially the toothy "monster") since I was a small kid, and I'd been led to believe it was more of a straight-out horror movie. Once I viewed it again with the proper expectations, I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks for the heads-up on the remake. I'm always down for a Krimi.

Erick H. likes this.
  14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I like the 18 year old thread bump. Respect.

shape22 likes this.
  15. shape22

Ha. It seemed like the most appropriate existing Lugosi thread. Hard to believe this thread stayed dormant longer than cicadas. But Bela always comes back eventually.

Erick H. likes this.
  16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

View attachment 9605

Erick H. and zbinks like this.