Favorite Clark/Ormsby film?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jul 11, 2004.

?

What is your favorite Clark/Ormsby film?

1. Black Christmas

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Deathdream

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Deranged

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Popcorn

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Although largely unnoticed by many horror fans, Bob Clark and Alan Ormsby have collaborated to bring a number of highly original and influential horror films to North American audiences. The Blue Underground release of Deathdream (recently reviewed here) marks the last of their films to be released on DVD. So which one of these fine films is your favorite?

2. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i haven't seen Deathdream yet, but Black Christmas is one of my favorites, so that will get my vote. Its the only movie i've watched several times that still creeps me out every time.

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

How did Ormsby have anything to do with Black Christmas?

4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Black Christmas, but also, Children Should'nt Play With Dead Things was good, also.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Ormsby gets no on-screen credit, but the two of them were both situated in Toronto throughout '73-'74, working together on post-production on DERANGED right around when CHRISTMAS was being shot (also in Toronto). I thought since it was such a constrained timeframe that the two were basically sucking creative juices from one another (like say Tarantino and Avary), so I included BLACK CHRISTMAS as well.

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Black Christmas is one of the best films ever made. None of the others on that list even come close... except maybe Deathdream, which I haven't seen yet but have read comments that lead me to believe it's a masterpiece.

7. agentc

agentc Member

Black Christmas is my favourite but Deathdream is great too. It has alot of the same creepy atmosphere and a similar score too.

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I said Popcorn. Mostly because of Jill Schoelen. Have only seen that and BC. Both are decent.

9. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I had no idea that Bob Clark had anything to do with Popcorn. I see his name nowhere on my dvd. What did he do exactly?

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Bob Clark was one of the producers on Popcorn.

11. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Black Christmas definintely. Its my fourth favorite film of all time, and is such a brilliant classic. I'm disappointed that Deathdream has no votes at this point, as its easily the second best, and is the only other film that can actually rival BC.

Its a masterpiece alright. One of the greatest horror films of the 70s.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Like Dan said, he produced it, but removed his name from the credits because he felt it was too grisly. Clark seems to be a very squeamish guy, since he has said on various commentaries how he dislikes gore of any kind in his films, and also had his name removed from Deranged for the same reason he did for Popcorn.

13. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

You can't go wrong in picking Black Christmas, one of the best horror movies ever made. I have not seen Deathdream yet but I hear it's also a classic. Popcorn is fun and underrated and although there are people who absolutely hate it, I really like Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. I like the humor and atmosphere of the movie. I have heard rumors of a remake of Black Christmas and I think this would be a horrible decision. I know the movie is 30 years old but there is no way they can update it and improve on the original at the same time.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

My first choice was going to go to CHILDREN but that was because I hadn't seen DEATHDREAM at that time. However, I just finished watching DEATHDREAM and I think it easily takes the #1 position. VERY spooky atmosphere. Andy creeped me out!

I've only seen BLACK CHRISTMAS twice, and while it was better the second time around, it just didn't appeal to me very much. The behavior of too many characters was too illogical for me. Having Margot Kidder as the star didn't help. That woman has always looked too old, especially to play a sorority sister, like she's been smoking since she was 9.

15. marioscido

marioscido New Member

'Deathdream' - hands down. One of the most important horror films from the 1970s. People are now just starting to discover this masterpiece, thanks in part to BU.

16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Black Christmas
    Really enjoy this flick. Those phone calls are damn awesome and there are also a few really funny things sprinkled throughout the flick. (mostly with the cops) :)

17. Black Christmas - In my own opinoin the best Canadian horror film ever made , Deathdream would be my second choice though .

18. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

I think you all must know what my vote is!!!

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

without a doubt black christmas is cool by me

20. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I like them all but Black Xmas most. CSPWDT I like least, because Orsmby's character is pretty annoying... ;-)