Favorite Craven Film?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 19, 2005.

?

Favorite Wes Craven Film?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2005.
  1. The Last House on the Left

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. The Hills Have Eyes

20 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Deadly Blessing

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Swamp Thing

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. A Nightmare on Elm Street

73 vote(s)
    51.0%
  6. The Hills Have Eyes, Part II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Deadly Friend

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. The Serpent and the Rainbow

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Shocker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The People Under the Stairs

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. New Nightmare

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. Vampire in Brooklyn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Scream

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  14. Scream 2

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  15. Scream 3

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  16. Cursed

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  17. Red Eye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Of all the major horror directors of the last 30 years, Wes Craven has been most consistent in keeping audiences interested. Carpenter, Romero and Argento have all seen audiences wane throughout the nineties and still today, yet Craven's popularity as a director is probably more pronounced now than it was in his Elm Street days. With his new film, RED EYE, getting some of the best reviews Craven's ever received, lets take the time to consider his career and which film stands out as your favorite of his.

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Easily Cursed...just kidding, Nightmare on Elm Street

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Tough choice between Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes, but I ultimately went with Last House.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

He's kept the audiences interest by pandering to them, imo. It's kept him at the forefront, but frankly, to many horror fans he's just not very relevant today. Excepting that is, some of the early work. Looking at that list, it is so clear that he creatively dipped, and started to deliver less and less.

I went with Last House on the Left. The reason I went with that can be summed up in one word: ATTITUDE. He maintaind that through Hills, but it started to decline from there.

So sure, he's more known, but less important. His films are simply too mainstream for my liking. It's horror for the masses. Not really something I like too much.

5. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I'm going to reserve my judgement until after I see Red Eye. I'll probably go with Last House as well. I had no idea Craven directed Swamp Thing haha. He really has had his ups and downs. Also this is my 100th post! WOO HOO! :banana: It took long enough but I got there.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Hills Have Eyes. NOES was soo close.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Except for a few of his films I just plain don't care about his body of work. He hasn't been relevant for at least 20 years. Out of the four big names from the 70s (Romero, Argento, Hooper, Craven) he may be the most successful, but even his classics IMO are subpar in comparison to the best of the other three.

I chose The Hills Have Eyes.

8. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Nightmare on Elm Street but where is Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors he directed that aswell.

9. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Oh shit i was way wrong excuse me.

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Ouch, I hated to do it, but I went with Scream. I find it do be his most entertaining and technically polished film. Both NOES entries were pretty close, but I felt there were still a cheesy scene or two that keep them from being as good as Scream.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

It was a tough call between NOES and LHOTL, but I had to go with Nightmare. Its the classic. Its when Freddy still had balls. I love it.

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

There are some good ones and bad ones up there huh? At any rate, I went with A Nightmare on Elm Street, and I didn't even think it was very close.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I went with THE HILLS HAVE EYES (the original, although the sequel is a guilty pleasure of mine--how embarassing!). I agree with dwatts and maybrick as far as his "legacy" is concerned. I almost went with LAST HOUSE but chose HILLS since it's more fun to watch repeatedly.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The Hills Have Eyes is his best I think.

15. bachmann

bachmann Member

i went with hills have eyes i just love that evil bastard

16. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Last House....

17. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

A Nightmare on Elm Street, followed by The Serpent and the Rainbow and Last House on the Left. The rest I could do without, although The Hills Have Eyes is OK I guess...

18. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The Hills Have Eyes. After that he lost his balls and made shit with the exception of NOES.

19. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The Hills Have Eyes is his best film. A gritty classic that just oozes the 70s. The Serpent & the Rainbow and Deadly Blessing are the other two greats of his career.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I went with the underdog Deadly Blessing, this film really creeped me out as a kid especially Michael Berryman. Many shiver inducing moments such as the spider and bathtub scenes. The voyeur scene with Berryman was pretty twisted too, especially since I was about eight when I saw it.
    Nightmare On Elm Street was good too, but my memories have been tainted by too many crappy sequels, except for New Nightmare which was quite good.
    Hills Have Eyes was ok, but only saw this recently so it seemed quite dated, I actually prefer Just Before Dawn by Lieberman, I know I am in the minority with this. As a kid, I actually liked Hills II (go figure, I thought the angle with the dirt bike riders was cool), probably since I had one myself.
    Last House On The Left is too disturbing and perverse, I cannot watch that film more than about once every five years. The cruelty towards the young girls is just too much and too close to the evening news for my taste. I realize it is a minor masterpiece in its ability to shock and repel, as George Bernard Shaw said 'The secret of success is to offend the greatest number of people'. If this is true, Last House should be considered a classic.
    Swamp Thing was also a childhood fave, seeing Dave Hess playing his traditional bad ass in a PG rated film was interesting. Love Adrienne Barbeau and Louis Jourdan as Arcane-the campy feel of that film and swamp locales kicked ass.
    The only thing notable about Shocker was its soundtrack, with some great music contributed by Paul Stanley, Desmond Child and Tommy Lee. Craven's attempt to build another lucrative horror film icon in the Freddy Krueger vein pretty much fell flat.
    The remainder of his films I have either not seen (Deadly Friend) or suck worse than a piccadilly square harlot (Cursed,Vampire in Brooklyn).