Favorite Creepshow Segment

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Sep 18, 2016.

?

What's your favorite CREEPSHOW segment?

1. CREEPSHOW Wrap-around

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Father's Day

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Something to Tide You Over

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. The Crate

27 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. They're Creeping Up on You

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. CREEPSHOW 2 Wrap-around

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Old Chief Wood'nhead

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. The Raft

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  10. The Hitch-hiker

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. "Meteor Shit!" (I haven't seen any of these)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Inspired by the recent announcement of an Arrow R1 special edition of CREEPSHOW 2 and hot on the heels of the CREEPSHOW documentary, JUST DESSERTS, it's time to ask the tough questions: What's your favorite CREEPSHOW segment? Between the first two movies there are some crate, err, great entries, but which one tides you over the most?

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  2. dayglo

dayglo Member

Always "Something To Tide You Over" for me, horrible way to die and masterminded by Leslie Nielsen, the nicest guy ever. The mood of that one always stuck out to me, plus it also didn't help an already established fear of drowning. :p

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Nielsen makes for a pretty intimidating bad guy. He was despicable in Day of the Animals as well.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

They did such a terrific job on this one--I really felt like they were miles away from where anyone could hear their screams. It felt like a completely empty world.

5. dayglo

dayglo Member

He's also a pretty scary dude in the movie "Nuts" with Barbra Streisand, the way he could turn it on after seeing how calm he could be was definitely a jolt.

Exactly! I can honestly say I never thought of such a way someone could die, and just how cruel the whole thing was. In that situation who's going to help you? Nielsen even mocks it by screaming for help to show Danson just how futile it all is. Not only does he know he, and Becky are dead, Nielsen makes sure he knows there is no hope.

Like I said, cruel!

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Crate

7. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I honestly don't know if I could choose ONE segment from one of my favourite movies of all time. I mean, every frame I LOVE! The actors in Creepshow are all hands down amazing! This is a prime example of getting great, experienced actors instead of twenty something young-uns whof are more interested in their hair gel than giving a good performance.

When I was very young I used to enjoy Father's day the most. I still LOVE that segment but my tastes have changed a fraction I guess. The Crate has always been a standout, and Tide has such a great feeling to it (not to mention the fact that I hate the sea), and I can't but grin ear to ear when Upson Pratt nonchalantly abuses the widow of a dead employee!

The weakest entry in my mind is Creeping. Not because of Kings performance (which I love), just because it doesn't fill me with (quite) as much joy as when I'm watching the rest.

Even the wrap around is awesome. Making it a must watch at Halloween for me as it instills those rain soaked evenings tucked up in bed reading comic books or watching old horror movies on the telly.

Well. After that I'm still no closer to picking a favourite. Can I pick them all?

Oh. BTW. Probably best Creepshow 3 was left out of the poll. Am I allowed to mention Creepshow 3!?! Sorry. Haha.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Can't decide between The Crate and Father's Day. Father's Day is everything I think of when EC comics or Creepy magazine comes up. It captured the essence perfectly. But it's a bit too short. The Crate has something that Father's Day lacked and that was characters you could empathize with. And Barbeau was amazing as Billie.

But really, it is easier to pick the one I liked least and that was Creeping up on you. I don't much care for the sterile setting, but the payoff was great.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

tumblr_nz7ubtaaIw1u38djvo1_400.gif

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I know the movie you are referring to, but technically Tales From The Darkside: The Movie began life as Creepshow 3.

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Had to vote for They're Creeping Up on You - E.G. Marshall is absolutely priceless.

chancetx and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I went with Something To Tide You Over, because of Nielsen's portrayal as an early 80's videophile / evil millionaire, but it was a really tough choice between that and The Crate.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Fuck you all, I'm going with The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill.

Stephen King playing the most reddest of necked inbreds in an adaption of one of my absolute favorite Lovecrafts, The Colour Out of Space. There's all kinds of win here in my book. I loved it as a kid before I knew King, Romero or Lovecraft were so my heart has only grown all the fonder over the years towards this love letter to Die Monster Die, The Blob and the wackiest Weird Tales! Sure Lovecraft him self would have hated it, but he's dead now and an atheist so he's not spinning in his grave over it.

Reading on the IMDb trivia page all that King had to go through with the makeup effects really shows too his commitment to this segment. It was important to him and I'm glad he put some much of himself out there for it.

Harry Warden and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  14. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I know it did. But I'm really not a fan of Tales From the Darkside: The Movie. Although the Cat from Hell segment was ok.... and was meant to be in Creepshow 2. Maybe a fan edit is in order.

15. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, The Crate always resonated most with me. Tough to think of many lines funnier than, "Why don't you tell it to call you Billie?" I really don't care for Jordy or They're Creeping Up On You, both of which have always bored me to death.

I was tempted to vote for the Creepshow wrap-around. Tom Atkins is one of the most hilarious screen dads in history. "I never saw such rotten crap in my life! Where do you get this shit? Who sells it to you?"

16. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I went with The Crate...although Something To Tide You Over comes in at a close 2nd.:D The synthesizer score in that is fantastic.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Father's Day. It gets the spirit of this film inside-and-out. Especially that moment where Sylvia is doing her gown-waving thing (vocally) and Richard is mimic-mocking her in the background.

18. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

This was a really tough choice for me, between the crate, fathers day, and creepshow 2 wraparound. But then there's the raft.... it's all awesome honestly

that-one-guy likes this.
  19. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

I went with fathers day as well. ED HARRIS? Come on!

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  20. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Only segments that are good are the wrap around, The Raft and the Hitchhiker