Favorite depiction of the Satan / Devil

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Apr 1, 2013.

1. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I like the more comic ones...Gael Garcia Bernal in DON'T TEMPT ME [the English title]
    and also Danny Elfman in FORBIDDEN ZONE.

2. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I do wholly agree with that. And, I'll admit that I really didn't care that much for the film when it first came out. But, I've grown to distance the film from the source material and have really started to like it a lot more.

Yeah, Keanu is really miscast. (I know that Constantine is supposed to look like Sting, but I always that that Gabriel Byrne would have been a perfect choice) But, I will stand by the statement that it is one of Keanu's better performances, limited as that may be.

Things I liked: The supporting cast is immensely interesting. The pacing is actually really really good. It's faint praise, but the film really knows when to just quiet down a bit and take some time with the story. And, much like Prophecy, the world is pretty well fleshed out and interesting. And, yeah, the visuals are wonderful.

That probably would have been a much better approach.

I'm certainly not holding it up as some neglected gem. I just think it's a lot better than its reputation. I certainly think it's better than Devil's Advocate or any of the Matrix sequels, compared for obvious reasons.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Definitely Tim Curry in Legend. That was the first thing that came to my mind.

He wasn't technically "The Devil" per se, but close enough.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Nicholson in WITCHES OF EASTWICK is a lot of fun as is Von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS.ANGEL HEART is rather chilling.Tim Curry is probably the coolest looking evil one yet and I too appreciate Hammer's goat headed Satan in THE DEVIL RIDES OUT.Perhaps one of the creepiest to me though is the brief,dreamy "rape'' commiting Devil in ROSEMARY'S BABY,which was simply star John Cassavettes in a bit of makeup.The nightmarish quality really seels it .

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Tom Waits is surprisingly good in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and is probably closest to how I'd imagine the devil would be if you bumped into him on the street. The play between him and Christopher Plummer is the most redeeming thing about that film.

YES! I'd forgotten that, which is idiotic of me as I often play his song.

I love the old school red tights and devil horns stereotype. The ultimate culmination of that has to be Pitch from the Mexican Santa Claus. Old Nick in a battle of wits with St. Nick? It doesn't get any better than that for me.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Which is funny because Gabriel Byrne was the devil in End of Days. His performance was pretty good too.

7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

The Ninth Gate.
    I'm not sure if Emmanuelle Seigner is supposed to be The Devil or his guardian. I need to watch the movie a few more times. Each time I see something different.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I think that movie is underrated,has a bit of an Argento vibe to it.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, I always supposed
    she probably was based on the reveal.
    And come to think of that this is a bit of a spoiler... So if you could edit your post with [ spoiler ] your words inbetween [ /spoiler ] with all the spaces taken out between the spoiler brackets that'd be appreciated by more than one on here I'm sure.

That reminds me that Dark Angel: The Ascent is rather good addition to the discussion too. The ladies love it so I found it to be a good way to expose them to b grade horror.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

One of my favorite films. I could see the Argento touch in it.

11. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I watched The Prophecy the other night and agree with your opinion completely. It's one of those films that I just never figured was good enough to bother seeing. And that turned out to be true for the most part except for the angel mythology which is quite compelling.

And thanks for reminding me Peter Cook in Bedazzled. Definitely my favorite depiction of the Devil. Now that it's fresh in my mind I'm gonna have to watch that again some time this weekend.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Glad you checked that movie out. Sorry to hear you didn't think it was a good movie (you just liked the concept) It's a hidden gem imo in terms of concept. That whole angel "story" is loosely derived from the bible. The war in heaven between angels vs the devil, fallen angels, etc...

It took many parts and twisted them around to make a more threatening story. Instead of Michael (they use Gabriel) , instead he's a bad guy looking for that soul to help him win that war. Really should be Michael & his Army of God fighting the devil & protecting a woman about to give birth to a savior. So that's where they probably got the little girl thing from. They made it that she has a special meaning to the war & protecting her from Gabriel and such. Something like that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i love the whole mythology of The Prophecy films. I remember seeing it when it hit video in 95. I would have been 13, and in grade 8. I came to school and started telling all my catholic teachers about it - "It's about the angel Gabriel, but he's evil! And there's a second war in heaven, and some of the angels hate humans! While the war is happening, people don't go to heaven, they just lie in their coffins! And the devil is there, too! It's so cool!" They were pretty offended. It was wonderful. I picked up the double feature blu ray a few months ago. Nothing earth-shattering, but I'm happy to finally have an anamorphic copy of it.

14. Darga

I definitely didn't dislike it- it had it's moments. I throughly enjoyed Christopher Walken and Viggo Mortensen, but I suppose I didn't care for Elias Koteas in the lead role. Virginia Madsen usually kind of bugs me for some reason too.

The whole concept of the war in heaven was fascinating though. I have next to no experience with the bible so I was curious as to how much of the mythology involved was original to the screenplay. Are there any other films that have approached this in a similar manner?

15. Darga

:lol: If you did that at one of the Catholic schools my friends went to when we were kids you most likely would have gotten your ears boxed and then had your ass beaten bloody with a ruler!

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You'd be lucky if that was the worst thing to happen to you at Catholic school! (sorry, that was just too easy...)

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The only other one that comes to mind would be Legion (2010)

It has the whole evil angels coming to destroy the human race and wanting a particular woman's baby, that turns out to be the savior. Stars Paul Bettany as Archangel Michael to save the humans against Gabriel's army of angels. If I'm not mistaken from what I remember about the film, this army is sent by God to test his angels to destroy mankind, because he loses faith in humans. Which in "bible" theory makes no sense. It's like the opposite of The Prophecy. Prophecy is the war in heaven to save humans, because of God's love for us, etc .. etc... Also in Legion, Michael is the cast off from heaven, going against God's wishes. That's not in the bible ... I don't think.

But check it out, it has a lot of action, etc...

18. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Most of the background is pulled from the "Book of Enoch" - an apocryphal text that describes the second fall of the angels. The second Prophecy movie pulls even more from this book. This book was also a big influence on the band Fields of the Nephilim.

The TV show Supernatural deals with this whole angels' war as a main plot line for the bulk of the show. And I highly recommend it, but it may not hook you in the first season. But by the start of the second season, they dig their heals into the story and really let it rip.

As for other similar movies, there's also The Seventh Sign, End of Days, and Constantine. But, I'd also argue that none of them are really as good or as well researched as Prophecy. Oh, and Kevin Smith's "Dogma" is another pretty good interpretation of this whole sort of thing. Even if it is played more for laughs, it is pretty well researched and thought provoking as well.

And, while it's not a horror story, the book "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is sort of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Apocalypse" that is very well researched, a very interesting take on the Revelations of John, and really damned funny. While I have no proof, I am pretty confident that whoever made Prophecy must have, at least, been aware of this book.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

About a year before The Prophecy was released, I attended a horror convention where Gregory Widen (director/writer) was pushing the movie. He was on stage showing clips from the still unfinished film.

For the life of me I can't remember if he said anything about the Book of Enoch, just said stuff about the bible in general. Not saying for sure he didn't mentioned Enoch, it's that I just don't remember that part. I recall him turning the crowd AFTER he showed some small clips, because in the beginning of his presentation, the crowd imo didn't seem that interested in a biblical horror movie. Also I remember Widen being very enthusiastic about explaining the whole "perching" by the actors. Seemed very proud of that little addition to the movie. Too bad he never directed any more films. I thought he did a good job for a first movie. Just went back to writing where he was more comfortable I guess.

20. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

A boy faced dark haired Yank playing a weathered middle aged world weary Brit.

Fast action demon slaughter substituted for conniving bullshitting and double dealing.

Shit, they didn't even get the pronunciation of the main character's name right.