Favorite Dracula adaptation

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by shape22, Oct 18, 2012.

?

Which is your favorite adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel Dracula?

1. Nosferatu (1922)

10.3%
  2. Dracula (1931)

3.4%
  3. Horror of Dracula (1958)

37.9%
  4. Count Dracula (1970)

3.4%
  5. Dracula (1973)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Count Dracula (1977)

3.4%
  7. Dracula (1979)

10.3%
  8. Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979)

13.8%
  9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

17.2%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Stoker's Dracula has received a number of effective film adaptations. Which is your favorite and why?

2. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Tough call on this. I really don't think any of them got it all right. I hate the romance inserted into Copolla's. As much as I love Lugosi, I think the staging and non-gothic camera work is boring. I do really enjoy Hammer's take, but the low budget hurts it at times. For a long time Langella's Dracula was my favorite, but parts have not aged well. I have a hazy recollection of really like the one with Louis Jordan, but I haven't see that since it aired.

So, in the end, I am forced to choose between the two versions of Nosferatu. And Herzogs wins only by the small margin of Kinski's portrayal, which I really think is fantastic.

But, I will say I was really tempted to vote other and throw Love at First Bite up there as Hamilton (the guy famous for his suntan?) was brilliant casting.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nosferatu (1922) — it's just so vintage and classic, and Max Schreck played Orlok to perfection.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm not a fan of the book, which I found to be a chore to read through. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein did it all much better and much earlier. Tim Lucas's Book of Renfield however is excellent and I highly recommend that to anyone and everyone.

Horror of Dracula always left me cold and I'm somewhat bewildered by its fan base. Cushing has always been the star of that series to me and unfortunately that hampers Lee's Dracula who doesn't have the script pages to compete. I'm even more bewildered by the fan base for Count Dracula (1970) which compounded the problems of Hammer's while not fixing any anything else. Good God you cast Kinski as Renfield and all he does is meekly sulk? Herbert Lom is nearly as lifeless as well. Brilliant casting entirely wasted. The only film of Franco's to actually disappoint and that says a lot.

Although the script is crap I do enjoy Coppola's Dracula for its production. They got so much right it's a shame that the few flaws it has are too glaring to overlook.

I'm a big fan of Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's unfairly maligned I think and shows a lot of love for the Lugosi version. Peter MacNicol is an excellent Renfield and much of the casting is spot on.

Both Herzog's and Murnau's Nosferatu are excellent; Hell so is Shadow of the Vampire for that matter. Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary is another interesting portrayal that I found to be unable to deliver on its potential.

Tod Browning's Dracula is still the best and almost entirely due to Van Sloane, Dwight Frye and of course Bela Lugosi who owned that role. There's a lot of Gothic touches when it counts though so I'm not sure I really get any complaints about that. The film was also re-edited by the producers switching some scenes around destroying the pacing. There's a fan edit called "The Melford Cut" circling that puts it back in the order of the shooting script. It's not a vast improvement but a decided one.

5. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Dracula Sucks! (Lust at First Bite) a 70s flick I rented at Blockbuster!

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Horror of Dracula is my favorite. Cushing is a badass and Lee makes the most of his limited screen time. Got to see this four years ago in a theater paired up with the Curse of Frankenstein.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

HORROR OF DRACULA, a true shocker in the 50's and still a very atmospheric film.Lee brings great physicality to the role,a smoldering sexual tension and eerie silence.Cushing was hands down my favorite Van Helsing.Great music by James Bernard and a classic finale complete the circle.A fine film.

8. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I had to go with the Frank Langella's version, Yes I know it's flawed but I still have a lot of love for this version.

9. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I like all of these except for Coppolla's version which I can't stand and the 1970 Count Dracula, which I have never seen but I've got to go with Lugosi. He was my introduction to Dracula as a kid and despite all the various actors who have played him over the years, when I hear the name Dracula, it's always Lugosi's face I see.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I went with Bram Stoker's Dracula. Is it the best of the lot? No, not at all. That would probably go to one version of Nosferatu or the other. But it's my favorite. I just absolutely love everything about it. the music, the set design, the performances (each one entertains me - hopkins is waaaay over the top, oldman is amazing, and reeves is so stiff and wooden its fantastic), the camera tricks and disolves, the miniatures and sets, the fidelity to certain aspects of the book, even the romantic additions, they all work for me. I can watch it endlessly. So yeah, that's my justification.

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Word for word, I agree with all of this.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Langella's DRACULA is playing next Friday night on a double bill with BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA at the Carolina Theater in Raleigh,North Carolina.Great venue.Both films are presented in 35mm.

13. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Something Weird Video's "Dracula: the Dirty Old Man"