Favorite Exorcist Sequel?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 22, 2004.

?

What is your favorite Exorcist sequel?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2004.
  1. The Exorcist II: The Heretic

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. The Exorcist III

50 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. The Exorcist: The Beginning

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. They are all good

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. The are all bad

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Exorcist 3, because Jason Miller was brought back, plus Brad Dourif was in it too.

2. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Yeah, Brad Dourif rocks.

3. Curt Duncan

Curt Duncan Guest

Exorcist III is my choice.

4. Patton versus the devil? What more could you ask for? Exorcist III.

5. Exorcist III. We've already covered why.

Honestly, I'm surprised Exorcist II has more votes (at the moment) than Exorcist: the Beginning. Maybe a lot of people haven't seen it yet... I really enjoyed it. It's probably not the best movie I'll see this year, but it's miles above the worst. It's about damn time an Exorcist movie had a nude scene!

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I just finished episode 1 of the tv show and I gotta say its quite intriguing. I'd venture to say its on par if not better than any of the sequels.

7. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

As a fan of everything Exorcist, I know I should watch the show. I just can't bring myself to do it though.

Harry Warden and Mok like this.
  8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yep I know exactly what you mean. I went in with the same frame of mind. I had PVR'ed it and thought, "ah well I'll give this a shot." That's exactly how you should approach it, if you eventually do.

Hopefully it's not a case of their efforts being dispersed completely in the first episode. I'll post whether or not episode 2 maintains the interest.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Me neither. Nothing will ever be as good as the first film and Exorcist III.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well, someone over on BloodyDisgusting had this to say in the comments section of the review (which wasn't too favourable). I agree with this:

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Just watched the pilot, and I'm gonna continue watching it.
    I like that it's slow burn, and don't throw non stop scares at you, for some cheap thrills.
    It has an atmosphere, that at times reminds me of the original, and some nice visuals, especially at the end.
    Also, the events of the original are mentioned in a news article, so I guess it´s kind of a sequel, instead of a full reboot.
    It was also great hearing the theme song again.

Let's just hope that it does well, and doesn't end up being canceled , during a cliffhanger.
    I'm just worried that it might be too slow for todays tv audience.

Mok likes this.
  12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Oh, wait. This is a new story and not based on Blatty's novel?

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yeah its like a sequel. It takes place in the same realm as the films (first one at least).

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Episode 2 was understandibly not as good as the first one but definitely consitant enough for me to stick with this series. Its got the right tone and still better than the sequels so far.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I have a confession to make: I enjoy The Heretic. It's definitely not as pure a film as the first, but it has some scenes work very well individually, Morricone's score is absolutely gorgeous, and while Linda Blair's tap-dancing and sultry demon scenes are perhaps unflattering, she's likable enough to be forgiven. The Exorcist III is no doubt a better film, but it doesn't have Regan's theme:

dave13 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

There's a scene in the 2nd half Exorcist III that ruins the film for me. I'm not sure if it's the 2nd strait-jacket interrogation with Jason Miller/Brad Dourif or slightly before that... but I hugely, HUGELY protested the whole notion of going back into that freaking room for a 2nd one. The first one was so damn good, and this is after I almost screamed "NOOO!!!" after they implied that Karras survived the fall from the original. Which could not have happened. AND, this is also after I protested the very idea of making the sequel with returning characters. What the hell was that shit? Kinderman became a completely different person with George C. Scott playing him. As did "The New" Father Dyer. Etc.

But the movie won me over... only to lose me completely with that 2nd goddamn scene with Demon-Dourif. This ain't Silence of the Lambs. This is an example of a scene that suggests if you go back into that room, you're going to die... only, no... Apparently, you're going to live... Because Dourif conveniently wants to spout more exposition. (AHHH! Never force information onto the audience.) The film wasted all its' Ultimate Evil points in the first scene. All the great camerawork, the only sense that GCS was actually terrified, the only sense that Brad Dourif was terrifying. At that point, it was all about justifying the 110-minute running time. (Like sending Robert Thorn to Bugenhagen.) (In Israel. You know... 'cuz The Exorcist went to Iraq and all and that just can't be the only important occult blockbuster to travel.)

Exorcist III is a touch superior. But, Exorcist II is consistent. That's a very undervalued quality in a film.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Personally, The Heretic is a pretty abysmal film/sequel, but definitely my favourite musical score of the entire Exorcist franchise! Finally found a copy on vinyl a couple years ago and revisit it often.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  18. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

The only thing The Exorcist 2 is consistent of, is being a shitty movie.

Angelman likes this.
  19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Morally, it's shitty. It's one of those arrogant God vs. Science movies where they just throw supernatural shit in the faces of dedicated scientists trying to help children get over personally traumatic stuff until either Regan or the Priest just waltz in and magically cure them. 'Cuz they're "believers."

But it's still a really fun movie.

20. thing

thing Well-Known Member

why no Dominion option?