Favorite Franchise Sequels

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Oct 6, 2010.

?

Which franchise has the best sequels?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2010.
  1. Universal's Dracula

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Universal's Frankenstein

10 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Hammer's Frankenstein

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Hammer's Dracula

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Psycho

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Romero's Living Dead

28 vote(s)
    23.0%
  7. The Exorcist

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. The Omen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Halloween

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. The Amityville Horror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Friday the 13th

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  13. The Howling

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  14. A Nightmare on Elm Street

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  15. Children of the Corn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Return of the Living Dead

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  17. Hellraiser

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  18. Child's Play

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  19. Final Destination

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Saw

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Peter Cushing was perfect for the role and it's great to see how his character changes over the course of the series. I would go further however and praise the fifth film, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. Cushing is really nasty in that particular film. I think it's one of the best sequels.

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I too had to go with Hammer's FRANKENSTEIN series.For the most part they really do build on each other and you really do see an arc to Peter Cushing's Baron Frankenstein.Hammer's move to focus on the Baron rather than the monster really freed them up to go into some unexpected areas.Add to that Cushing's great work,he never seemed to tire of the role,always digging for new nuances to the character.Great stuff.

3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I have a hard time picking, really. Universal's Frankenstein would probably take it for me (though Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man is pretty clunky...). My problem is that each franchise seems to have a black mark (or 2...) that I have a hard time getting past. Some franchises REALLY shifted gears, and others became mere shadows of what they were.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I said Romero's Dead, but this post here makes a lot more sense. I like the Hammer Frankenstein for the exact same reason: THEY FRIGGIN KEPT DR. FRANKENSTEIN AS THE MAIN CHARACTER!
    All the other versions of Frankenstein have always focused on the monster, and let's face it, no one can beat Boris Karloff. Hammer didn't even try. They (properly) conceded defeat to Karloff right from the get go, and made a real nasty mad scientist with Peter Cushing as Frankenstein.

I also liked that not only did they keep Frankenstein as the main character, but his experiments grew over the course of the sequels. They didn't just re-animate the monster every friggin time. Frankenstein kept building upon his research.

When's TCM doing that back-to-back of all the Hammer Frankensteins again?

5. nightmare5fan

nightmare5fan Member

It was a hard choice from me between Friday and Nightmare, since those were the first "horror movies" I ever saw as a child (and Dream Child is my fave!). In the end, the Fridays have a more instant-fun kind of appeal, so I can watch them over and over and never get bored. Still, I enjoy these more than the originals: Psycho II, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Final Destination 3, and Child's Play 2 (great music score). I guess I have a soft spot for Exorcist II, and lame as it may sound, watching Bride and Seed of Chucky on the big screen changed my life.

6. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I picked Halloween, but I could have easily gone any of a dozen ways. Halloween is certainly one of the spottiest series in terms of quality, with an infinitely fucked chronology, but the poll is asking for favorites, not bests.

The only series I have no love for are The Howling and Child's Play.

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

10/29: Curse, Revenge, Created Woman, Must be Destroyed

8. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Frankenstein, all the way. I love all of the sequels except SON, and even that is a "good" film.

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

The Halloween franchise, because of Halloween II in particular. That movie single-handled started my love affair wwith the slasher movie, and to this day, I still find it scary when I watch it alone. Halloween 4 and H20 are pretty good as well, and I consider Halloween 5 to be at least enjoyable.

The Friday franchise is a close second - I find the first three sequels to be solid, scary slasher fun.

10. NightAndFog

NightAndFog New Member

I enjoyed the Psycho and Final Destination series, but ultimately I have to go with Saw and it's gory good times.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Friday the 13th, easily! I've said this on many occasions, but it's just about the only franchise where the original film is not a masterpiece itself- so the sequels can't bring it down. Not only that, but choosing Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street as franchises here are fairly insulting to their originals since neither Carpenter or Craven intended their originals for franchises. The sequels, though a couple were fun, were all compromises on the original ideas- cheapening Michael Myers' and Freddy's boogeyman mythos and turning them into random slasher bodies to the point where you have them being made fun of and mocked in movies like Freddy vs. Jason and Halloween: Resurrection.

Jason's the only one who actually progressed over the course of the films. Each film doing something radically new that didn't hurt the previous film (until New Line stepped in, that is). Friday the 13th defined the 80's (even if Freddy was more popular in marketing) and was born to be a franchise.

After that, and this may betray that above argument but I'll say it anyway- I go with the Psycho sequels (not including the remake). The only way to look at them is, not as a continuation but instead, as a new film (series). Besides, all of them count as slasher films where Hitchcock's original was nothing even close to that.

Other than those two, I think Evil Dead and Romero's Dead both lost vitality and steam after their "part 2"s. Dawn is a masterpiece, and perhaps a better film than Night (though I guess no one likes to pit them against each other), and Evil Dead 2 is considered by many to be a remake. But after that, Army of Darkness is nothing but comedy and mythological film silliness (for people who like those old sword-n-sorcery flicks) and Day of the Dead is a mess. Bad acting, bad cliches, kool aid blood, etc.

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Not entirely true here. Carpenter actually did intend for Halloween to be a franchise. He just didn't want them to be all about Michael. Instead, he wanted to create a series of Halloween themed movies. While the second was admittedly a cash-in for him, the third is very much in accordance with his original intention. After that, though, you'd be correct.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

When he made his original film, he had no intention of turning Halloween into a franchise. That's what I was told (and I've seen all the major Halloween documentaries to date except the one Rob Zombie was interviewed for that's supposed to come out this month), so as far as I know- I was correct from the getgo.

But the way you worded it, you were right too. And if only Season of the Witch had been a better movie, maybe a real anthology-franchise could have survived (though I doubt it, as evidenced by the ever-quick death of both Masters of Horror and Fear Itself, and the fact that it's a 20-year gap between Creepshow 2 and 3).

14. splatterhouse

splatterhouse New Member

yup

Good to see Friday the 13 leading. I thought that it was a much stronger going than most of the other ones listed here. Yeah, they overdid it, but most of those have a re-watch quality most of the others don't. :fire:

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

In regards to only the sequels, I went with F13 because I play those most regularly. But the PSYCHO sequels are very solid and I'm a big NOES fan as well so there ya go.

16. shockwave

shockwave New Member

I went with F13 also simply because I've watched the sequels numerous times, with Halloween being a close second. Havent caught any of Hammer's Frankenstein series but I have seen a few of there Draculas and think Cushing and Lee are both great actors so I'm sure I'd enjoy them also.

And as for Romero, I thought his first two were great and enjoy land of the dead also. The Saw series while becoming a bit stale, I must give props to for there attention to continuity and the fact that they've been very entertaining although relying a bit to much on gore, but nonetheless a solid franchise.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  17. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Romero's Dead Films.

Dawn and Day are two of my all time favorites.

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Forr me, this was a close race between Romero's Dead films & the Friday the 13th series.
    In the end, I chose Romero's Dead films as I find that the first two sequels were superior to the original (which was already a classic in its own right) and that the original trilogy comprises possibly the finest trilogy in horror. Contrast that with Friday the 13th, where I feel that the 2nd entry is somewhat superior to the first but then the series never reaches the same heights again (although Final Chapter does come close to matching the original IMHO.) As for the later sequels, the 2nd Dead trilogy pales in comparison to the original. However, we still get three competent films with good production values (one of which- Land- I find quite good while I the other two at least somewhat enjoyable). No matter how much we may complain about either Diary or Survival (opinion seems to be split as to which is better... or worse), there is no question in my mind that the Dead films never came anywhere near the "low-water mark" that is Part VIII.

19. MidnightRambler

MidnightRambler New Member

Hammer's Frankenstein, 'cause it has several sequels as good as or better than original (just like F13 but that franchise overall is on a lower quality level). Follow-ups are Romero's Dead and Universal's Frankenstein...

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I voted for Hammer Dracula, but really I dig the PHANTASM series the most. I know that a lot of people have probs with Lord of the Dead and Oblivion, but I think that each entry in the series has their own individual charms worthy of revisiting time and time again. In fact, I'd say that I've watched these films more times than any of the other franchises in the poll.