Favorite Fulci?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jul 4, 2004.

?

What is your favorite Lucio Fulci film?

1. The Beyond

46 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. City of the Living Dead

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Contraband

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Don't Torture a Duckling

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. House by the Cemetery

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. A Lizard in a Woman's Skin

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. New York Ripper

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Zombie

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  9. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Love him or hate him, Lucio Fulci has been one of the most lauded of all modern horror directors. With two more of his films being released by Blue Underground this month, its about time to rank 'em to determine the best of the best. So which is your favorite?

2. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

Well, I've only seen a few:Zombie, House by the Cemetery, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead,Zombie 3.(though his involvement there is questionable. )Out of all of them, I like House by the Cemetery the best. I just love the atmosphere, its very creepy. I love the entire final scene in the basement. I love Bob. Anyway, I'm stocked up on a bunch of Fulci movies, but so far, I like it the best.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

There are different ways to look at answering such a question. Given that Fulci made in excess of 90 movies, most people (including me) have only seen a handful of them.

Whenever such a poll comes up, Don't Torture a Duckling gets all the kudos (and a lot of votes) but The Beyond tend to wins out. interesting to see what we get here.

I respect Duckling, I really do. However, when I need a Fulci fix, I turn to The Beyond. It's a brilliant film that displays great intelligence, and stupidity, at the same time. Equal measures ridiculous and scary, eqaul measures beautiful to look at, and damn right silly. It's hard to imagine a horror audience it doesn't appeal to. So The Beyond it is, for me.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I picked the Beyond. I don't really like Fulci as much as I used to, I guess the gore just started to get old and Fulci's films aren't really known for their intriguing plots. :p As for why I picked The Beyond, I think it was the best shot, and also the best acted. It plays like one long nightmare. Zombie, City of the Living dead, and House By the Cemetery are all good as well.

5. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Of the ones i`ve seen

I voted for House By The Cemetery.

Although i do like Zombie too........

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Zombie is my favorite, followed by City of the Living Dead.

7. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The Beyond is his masterpiece followed by City of the Living Dead.

8. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

The only Fulci films I like: Zombie, Four of the Apocolypse, and what I've seen from City of the Living Dead (I've got about a half hour left, haven't bothered to finish it, though!)

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

City of the Living Dead all the way. Excellent and moody film that never disappoints in the slightest. A great score as well, probably my favorite Fulci score. The truly outstanding New York Ripper is right behind it in second place, and is actually very much on par with it. The also wonderful Lizard in a Woman's Skin is third, with One on Top of the Other and Zombie rounding out the top 5, and an honorable mention to the underrated House of Clocks and the awesome Four of the Apocalypse.

10. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I'm with Cujo on this one. COTLD followed closely by New York Ripper.

11. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i voted for zombie since its the movie i came the closest to liking.

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Voted for Zombie

I voted for Zombie, as I think Giannetto De Rossi's make-up effects in this film created some of the genre's most unforgettable zombies. I also like the whole voodoo angle, its more traditional than the usual chemical spill, virus zombie films like Hell of the Living Dead. For sheer creepiness though it is hard to top House By The Cemetary and The Beyond is very surreal and unique also. The New York Ripper I was not that fond of, a little too over the top sexually and that constant quacking by the killer was hilarious..just an opinion, enjoyed reading yours.

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm with Ryan. I voted Zombie, but City of the Living Dead is a close second. I enjoy The Beyond, but I kinda feel that's it's a bit overrated.

14. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Have to go with The Beyond. :) Love that flick! Just for that elevator scene where Warbeck tries to load the gun from the barrell... too funny. (Intentional though... well maybe not intentional... Fulci didn't notice I guess)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  15. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I voted House By The Cemetery.It's the first Fulci I ever saw.It has alot of atmosphere.The Beyond is also great,but my favorite (for now) is House...
    And yes I hate the "Bob" dubbing too.But you get used to it during the movie.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i am not a real big fan of itailan movies but i did enjoy very much zombie

17. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

The Beyond is the best, buddy!!

18. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

it was intentional, i listened to the commentary the other week and warbeck mentioned it, he presumed it would be edited out.

As for my fulci experience.. its fairly limited at the moment. I've seen The Smuggler (contraband), The New York Ripper, Zombie and The Beyond.. really need to see City of the Living Dead and House by the cemetary.

I've never seen a Fulci movie that i've liked the first time i saw it. But every movie except contraband (which i've only watched once) i've grown to love on subsequent viewings. It took me 3 attempts to finally get through The Beyond.

As for favourite, that is a tough one.. i've disliked them all at one point or another and it almost seems like the one i'll like the best is whatever one i've watched last.. so i'll have to go with the beyond. (although Zombie has one of my favourite shots, where you see one of the first zombies and the camera zooms in and rotates around him.. hrrmmm maybe i should go with zombie.. no, i'll stick with the beyond

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

So perfectly said dwatts. There are parts where I sit in awe (like the final shot) and then others where I laugh at their sheer ineptitude ("Do Not Entry"). The Beyond gets my pick as well, and it is probably my favorite Eurohorror film overall. It is tough though, because I think Don't Torture A Duckling is also a great movie.

20. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

The Beyond is my favorite Fulci movie, and probably in my top 4 horror flicks of all time.

I have a real problem with people calling Fulci a hack or saying that he was a shitty director. Since when was there a real, original idea in horror? His films borrow from certain flicks, intentionally or not, I don't know, but how many horror movies can you watch and say that a scene doesn't resemble something in a flick you've seen earlier?

As for calling him a shitty director, you obviously don't want to like his films. Fulci is a fine director and master of mood and gore. True, his plots were simple, but mostly every horror flick is. Suspiria, for example, everyone marvels at it, but really, the plot is simple and nothing more than The Beyond had, the only difference is that in my opinion, The Beyond was actually interesting, whereas Suspiria looked good, had all the style in the world, but no substance.