Favorite Fulci?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jul 4, 2004.

?

What is your favorite Lucio Fulci film?

1. The Beyond

46 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. City of the Living Dead

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Contraband

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Don't Torture a Duckling

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. House by the Cemetery

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. A Lizard in a Woman's Skin

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. New York Ripper

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Zombie

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  9. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

NYR is my fave and I make no apologies...I like most of his stuff. THE BEYOND is very good as is CONTRABAND, IMO.

2. bachmann

bachmann Member

zombie for me although i had a hard time deciding between that and the beyond. i actully enjoy most of fulci´s flicks of the ones i´ve seen the only one i did´nt like was manhatten baby

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

I think my mistake with contraband was that i bought it solely to see the gore (such as the famous blowtorch/bunsen burner scene). As a result i didn't really pay enough attention to what was going on which probably explains why it was such a let down for me.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

That's the same way I am, however, the last time I watched it I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I ever have before. I still think it's a little overrated when people say it's Fulci's best, but it's not too far from it. :)

5. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

A Lizard In A Woman's Skin, followed closely by NYR and Zombie.

House By The Cemetery was my favorite for ages and it stil ranks high on my list.

6. adric

adric New Member

out of the movies ive seen of his, i think the beyond was the best. the part i think that made it as favored as its become with people is the downbeat ending. i think House by the Cemetary comes in second then Zombie.

7. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

for me, one of the biggest barriers in enjoying a foreign film is trying to understand what the hell is going on.. i think this is probably a combination of me a) losing interest and not paying enough attention b) poor subtitling/dubbing c) cultural/social differences d) because i'm a typical hollywood fanboi who hasn't been exposed to enough foreign films.

This is probably half of the reason i end up enjoying a lot of films only after subsequent viewings (where i've actually worked out wtf is going on)

8. My exposure to Fulci has been VERY limited--The Beyond, Zombie, about a third of City of the Living Dead, and I went with Zombie, mostly for my love of zombie films. I also feel The Beyond is overrated, and while it's a great film, some of the sillier bits tend to kill the overall effect for me (the wobbling toy tarantulas pretty much seals the deal as far as I'm concerned). I really enjoyed what I saw of City of the Living Dead and plan on picking it (as well as a few other titles) up sooner or later, but it may have to wait until I fill out my Argento collection some more and indulge in my newfound Mario Bava obsession a bit.

9. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

It's all about The Beyond. Although to be honest, as much as I dog on him, I enjoy most of these flicks for what they are....gory and fun. I personally enjoy his gialli more than his gore flicks (Don't Torture a Duckling is one of my all time fave giallo films), but The Beyond just kicks ass IMO.

At least you listed MOSTLY good films. I've seen some real dogs from Fulci that aren't listed here. If you think some of these are bad, go watch Manhattan Baby. You might change your mind. Although I gotta admit, I think House by the Cemetery is god awful.

10. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

I voted for Zombie. It was my first Fulci movie and the only one I have bought that I felt was worth the money I spent on it.

11. My all-time favorite Fulci film has got to be The Beyond, followed by Zombie and House by the Cemetary. City of the Living Dead wasn't a bad film, it's just that I felt it was too dark and grainy.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The Beyond is his masterpiece, no doubt. Got my vote :)

13. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

That's the Anchor Bay version.I rented the EC Entertainment one once which has a better picture.

14. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Can anyone tell me how good these flicks are, I'm thinking of buying them with my next cheque:
    Demonia
    Sweet House of Horrors
    House of Clocks

Gore/nudity? Violence? Any good? ;) I know the latter 2 are TV movies, but read they weren't aired because they were too violent, so I guess there'd still be hope for gore.

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

House of Clocks is a great little film. Very underrated, and its up there with Fulci's best if you ask me. Here's a thread I did on it a good while back:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=9380

I'll probably do a full review for it soon now that I think about it. Sweet House of Horrors is godawful, and possibly Fulci's worst film. Demonia is decent, but pretty lame at times.

16. jupiter2

jupiter2 Guest

No offence intended - What is your opinion on this question. Do you think that Fulci is overrated?

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Demonia--
    I don't know why, but I do enjoy this one. Everything that could be wrong with a film is wrong with this one.

--Sweet House of Horrors--
    Snoozy. Really snoozy. Made for TV, and it looks like it should have been made for radio.

--House of Clocks--
    Good idea, poor execution and a bit snoozy. Made for TV, and it belongs on TV.

The only one of these with significant gore is Demonia. It has one gore scene that probably THE most incompetent bit of gore FX you'll ever see.

EDIT: --Do you think that Fulci is overrated?--

No fricking way.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  18. 6thdoctor

6thdoctor Guest

House By The Cemetery got my vote. At the time I saw it it seemed like a refreshing change. It still has the highest rewatchability factor out of all listed IMHO.

19. Vinman6

Vinman6 Guest

City of the Living Dead got my vote... True, the Beyond, and House by the Cemetary are a close second, COTD has sentimental value that edges it into 1st place.. I remember a buddy and I secretly renting that one (under the guise of "the Gates of Hell") in the early 80's and watching it at 3 in the morning at his place after sneaking shots of liquor from his parents... it put the flick in the back of my brain for years and years afterwards... and was pretty damn cool to boot! Many years later I re-discovered it on dvd and finally got to see John Morghen's head drilled!!

20. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Demonia - There's one great gore scene in this that caught me off guard, otherwise I didn't care for it.

Sweet House of Horrors - Charming story, but done pretty poorly. Little gore.

House of Clocks - This is the only one of the three I'd care to revisit. Great idea and entertaining, but still one of Fulci's lesser films IMO.