Favorite Horror Distributor

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Oct 12, 2014.

?

What's your favorite horror label today?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2014.
  1. Anchor Bay

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. Arrow Films

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Blue Underground

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Code Red

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Criterion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Grindhouse Releasing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kino/Redemption Films

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. Olive Films

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. RaRO Video

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Scorpion Releasing

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  11. Severin Film

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Shout/Scream Factory

39 vote(s)
    47.6%
  13. Synapse Films

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  14. Twilight Time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Vinegar Syndrome

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  16. 88 Films

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Other (specify in thread)...

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I just got my BR of the Halloween boxset so I am all set, but I've owned the Halloween II DVD from Shout and WOW! I'd almost say that it looks worse than the MGM DVD from a decade previous. So pixely! Good thing it had so many extras.

The X-Ray DVD was forgivable since it was the first time in WS, and the whole film has a fogginess to it that isn't that botherable. Schizoid, Death Valley and The Final Terror were all excellent transfers, even with some lesser scenes in TFT. I am happy to have Sleepaway Camp uncut as well, but I do have a minor gripe with it, as it's my favorite movie of all time: the darks during, say, the bedroom pointing scene stood out as a bit DNR. The first time Judy sees the killer in the doorway you can see too well of who it is, and the thing the really bothered me was the framing in some scenes. Mostly when Angela is staring at Meg by the beach or talking with Suzy by volleyball court, Angela's body is cut off too much and there is WAY too much head room. Very distracting. Not that I'll watch the cut AB disc that often anymore, lol, but I'll keep it just for framing reference. I loved their SC release, don't get me wrong, but when you've seen/love it as much as I have, the little problems are going to be magnified.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, this is like choosing favorite sex position. There may be one you like more than the others, but it's not like you'd say no to any of them.

Still, I voted Arrow. I've been blown away by the total package of the discs I have. I love the reversible covers with original art, the booklets are fantastic, can't argue with the extras. Just tip top in every facet.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was having a hard time deciding from the choices, so I decided to take the poll very literally and say "which is your favorite label putting out horror movies today?" This being release day Tuesday, I looked at only the companies releasing DVDs and/or Blu-rays on today's date, 10/14/14.

And happy happenstance, one of my all time favorite studios is actually releasing something today on Blu-ray, Mondo Macabro.

I love these guys. I blind buy every release. But I had completely forgot about them. Had I thought of them I would have picked them right off the bat.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Prom Night looks stunning on Blu-ray from Synapse but I choose scream factory their upcoming Nightbreed director's cut Blu-ray.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

A toss-up between Synapse and Arrow, though I love most of these companies. I wish Scum Factory would just go away. I hope they don't get many more MGM titles and a better company like Kino can get what I want from the studio, as they did with Jennifer and To All a Goodnight. Looking forward to seeing where 88's slasher and Italian horror collections go.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I chose Code Red, mainly out of spite for all the people giving me shit on that other thread. But seriously? Synapse and Vinegar syndrome has some good ones in the pipeline.

7. Christy

Christy Member

Shout/Scream Factory even though the newly announced upcoming releases are crap.

8. reyven

reyven New Member

I agree with Shannafey, I gotta go with Shout/Scream Factory, but Synapse is a close second. Volume wins for me, but Synapse has TLC for each of their releases.

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Shout / Scream Factory for me. So many interesting titles. Stacked with extras. Reversible art. Lately, they've gone above and beyond putting out stuff we'd never thought we'd see: Halloween Complete Collection box set w/ H6 Producer's Cut? Check! Nightbreed Director's Cut? Bring it on! They are to horror on BD what Anchor Bay used to be to horror on DVD.

10. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

Shout / Scream Factory

11. Vortex

Vortex Member

Best 3:

Arrow
    Vinegar Syndrome
    Synapse

Worst 3:

Shout
    Anchor Bay
    Raro - some some good transfers, but too many poor ones.