Favorite Modern Horror Director?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Dec 5, 2004.

?

Who is your favorite modern horror director?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2005.
  1. Dario Argento

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. John Carpenter

36 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. David Cronenberg

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Wes Craven

10 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. Lucio Fulci

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. George A. Romero

28 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Gothic Queen

Gothic Queen Guest

Romero all the way! But it is true that I love him best when he is working with Savini. The two are unstoppable and I think the new Dawn of the Dead is a testement to that.
    Cronenberg is alright but I have been dissapointed before. Argento is much more artistic and that is something I hold with a lot of respect. As for Wes...I do love his films, but his New Nightmare was a snooze, for me personally. I have seen much better from him, but I think that film hurt his reputation.

2. Salty

Salty Guest

I went with Carpenter. Even though his last few films have not been up to his usual standard I feel that he has had a more productive run overall. Vampires and Ghosts of Mars are a hell of a lot more fun than many of the other directors lesser efforts (Vampire in Brooklyn, Monkey Shines, Cat o Nine Tails, Phantom of the Opera, Demonia, Manhattan Baby, etc.). I appreciate Cronenberg's films but I am not particularly entertained by them. I'm not even sure he should be in this poll but...OK. Just for the record...I dig New Nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2004
  3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Carpenter has never really done it for me, other than HALLOWEEN and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. I've never even liked THE THING as much as other fans do. His movies are okay, but I don't like any of them as much as I do the best work of Romero, Fulci, and Cronenberg.

4. Rock

Rock Member

Should've added Tobe Hooper to the list...he hasn't fallen any harder than some of the others...I picked Romero because he hasn't fallen as hard as the others, only because he rarely does anything anymore...