favorite nightmare on elm street movie

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by slasher vorhees, Mar 13, 2003.

?

your fav nightmare on elm st. flick

1. nightmare on elm street

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. nightmare on elm street part2

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. nightmare on elm street part3

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. nightmare on elm street part4

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. nightmare on elm street part5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. nightmare on elm street part6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Freddys dead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. New Nightmare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I cannot imagine voting for anything but the first. They get so jokey after the original, which is fun from a cheese perspective, but the menace significantly lessens. I like this series but realize I do not love it.

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This franchise is clearly defined more by its nightmare worlds after the 2nd film than it is by Freddy as a menacing presence, so I personally feel there's a lot of room to forgive his vamping / camping it up in the latter sequels.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

The first film. After that, Freddy became comic relief. In the first film, he was evil as hell.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

(Again...the film's not really called: Freddy on Elm Street.)

(Unless I missed something.)

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The Original 1984 classic for me. I remember seeing it opening weekend (I even saved the newspaper clipping) and was just blown away. The TV trailers were scratchy, old-looking and beat up. There didn't seem to be any advance word other than a radio interview with Wes Craven a week prior. Where I grew up, in the mid 80's we'd sometimes get old 1970's movies released with a new campaign to make it look modern (Eaten Alive became "Legend of the Bayou" and The Beyond became "7 Doors of Death") so I figured this Elm Street movie was released from some 70's vault to cash in on Friday the 13th which was already played out.
    Boy were we in for a treat. Not since The Evil Dead did I jump in my seat and squirm from all the tension on screen. Most of all, I absolutely loved the heroine in the film. The final showdown was just so action-packed and fun and all that crazy, surreal imagery and effects...well, we left the cinema a bit shaken up. Completely silent at the nearby pizza parlor where we finally tried to come to grips with what we just watched.
    I just can't with that lame sequel Freddy's Revenge. The TV movie quality and no fukkin imagination whatseover just couldn't hold a candle to the innovative, creative and exciting original.
    I saw each film opening weekend up until Freddy's Dead which, to this day, I've not watched. I did, however, LOVE "New Nightmare" and enjoyed that one opening night. That was really fun to watch in DTS, too.

6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Original is superior on almost every level. Few will debate that.

I don't find much fault in ANY sequel though. Some are obviously better than others, but I've yet to be disappointed in a Robert Englund Freddy flick.

Wago, you're WELL overdue for Freddys Dead, man. It's fun. Yes Freddy plays a video game controlling one of the characters. Goofy as fuck but it's a great time if you ask me.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The original, followed by 3. after that's a little whatever. I like the concept in New Nightmare, but the execution was a little lacking.

Part 4 was one of the great disappointments of my horror theater going at the time. The difference between 3 and 4 is that as jokey as Freddy was the kills in 3 mocked the kids' problems. You can't walk?, Here comes a wheelchair with spikes, you're a drug addict? Here's a heroin overdose. He target them, mocked their problems. 4 was just a funhouse. Crushed like a cockroach... because it made for good effects work, I guess... it just felt like there were no real stakes as much as I appreciated the production value.

Workshed likes this.
  8. DVD-fanatic-9

Or, it could have been because the character had a paralyzing fear of insects before Freddy turned her into one...

Also: a character who has a bad smoking habit dies in a fire in her bed because she fell asleep with a lit cigarette. (Kristen.) And the character most afraid of failing her math test dies while taking it. Etc.

9. Angelman

Yeah but those aren't real problems. Fear of insects vs. Drug Habit? One has much more narrative weight. That's why I said there were no stakes. And the effects gag probably dictated the fear of insects for the character vs. the it being good for the story.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

Split.Ting. Hairs.

Since when was the franchise necessarily rooted in Freddy preying on teenagers because of their real-life problems?

11. Angelman

Not splitting hairs, acknowledging narrative impact. One has an edge, the other does not. And Part 3 was where Freddy tormented them because of their real life problems.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

Splitting hairs.

Oh... you mean that thing where a new set of writers take a sequel in a different direction from the previous films in a series? That thing that happens all the time and does not in any way dictate that more films to come must follow the same patterns set by said sequel...

13. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Part 3 is every bodies favorite sequel it seems....... tough to argue, movie is fucking awesome. But I love part 4. New Nightmare is just fun all the way around. The skin the cat-nurse scene horrified me as a little guy (I was like 10 when it came out) Freddys Dead is awesome. Part 2 is a riot. I really dig part 5 too...... that one got weird. See a trend?

Now...I saw the remake in the theater on my birthday, bout 8 beers deep. Movie sobered me up real quick. I left the theater feeling like someone just took a massive turd on me from the mezzanines.

14. Angelman

Acknwoledging Narrative Impact.

Correct. But one is more effective that the other for the very logical reasons laid out above.

15. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I love Part 2! Then 1, then 3 and 4. I will acknowledge what DVD said though, about Warriors not aging well. It's fun, and used to be my favorite, but some of it just wallows.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

Splitting hairs.

Incorrect. As a teenager, Dream Warriors might have seemed impressive because all the characters were in therapy, but Alice as a character alone in The Dream Master displays greater depth in writing, acting, and filmmaking. All around. Than either the characters or actors cumulatively in DW. Sure, the deaths were harder hitting in DW. But only viscerally. The "what's wrong, Joey? Feeling tongue-tied?" scene is enough to prove that DW was not anymore invested in the characters as actual people than as bodies to use as FX spectaculars.

Consider as definitive proof that funeral scenes. In DW, it's Neil and Nancy... neither of whom are meant to be teenagers anymore. In TDM, it's Alice, Dan, and Debbie. Actual teenagers. And it's obviously a much more deep, riveting scene that delves into actual emotions and feelings the characters that Freddy is actively targeting have.

17. Angelman

I'm sorry, no.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

It's not up for a vote, there, buddy.

It's signed, sealed, and delivered.