Favorite Polanski?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 4, 2009.

?

What is your favorite Roman Polanski film?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2009.
  1. Knife in the Water

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Repulsion

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Cul-de-sac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Fearless Vampire Killers

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Rosemary's Baby

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  6. Macbeth

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. What?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chinatown

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  9. The Tenant

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. Tess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Pirates

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Frantic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Bitter Moon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Death and the Maiden

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  15. The Ninth Gate

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  16. The Pianist

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  17. Oliver Twist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I prefer his shorts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Rosemary's Baby. One of the only films I still find scary after all these years.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Polanski is a great director, but none of his films are among my favorites and so I don't hold him in that high of regard. I've rewatched The Ninth Gate more than any of the others so I picked that one.

3. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

The Pianist was an incredible movie. I was so mad that it lost out to Chicago for Best Picture. What a joke.

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Rosemary's Baby, followed closely by The Tenant.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Repulsion - because I saw it for the first time last year, so it's newer and more interesting.

Originally, it would have been Rosemary's Baby and a good choice because it never loses an ounce of its' potency over repeat viewings.

6. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Macbeth... It's the greatest Shakespeare adaptation ever made with the exception of Tromeo and Juliet :p

7. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

Ninth Gate and Pianist. I voted for Ninth Gate, because I´ve seen it five times and I still like it. Rosemary´s Baby was ok, I don´t enjoy rest of his movies.

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm going with Tenant as my initial reaction to it was one of the strongest I've had to any film. But, there is no denying that he has made some of the best films out there, so this was an extremely tough decision.

Rosemary's Baby took me a while to get. I first saw it as a teenager and thought is was incredibly boring. But, after a while and having forgotten about most of it. I watched it again and did find it immensely disturbing and would probably lean towards that as his masterpiece if my first experience with it was not so negative.

And Chinatown? My mother thinks that is one of the most evil films ever made. So that has to count for something.

But, of all his films, I do find myself watching Ninth Gate the most and that could end up, over time, being my favorite. It certainly does get better with repeat viewings.

And I was tempted to vote for the last option, just because of the innuendo of liking his shorts. But, that may be a result of just having watched "Wanted and Desired" - which is an excellent film for anyone interested in the rape case.

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Guest

This is a tough one because Roman Polanski is one of the great film makers and I love everytthing he does. Of his non-horror films, my favorites are Tess and Oliver Twist; immaculate masterpieces, both, with many lessons therein for storytellers.

Chinatown is the equal to Rosemary's Baby in every way, and if the poll were not closed, I would vote for Chinatown over Rosemary's Baby because of its impact on me personally. I also have a childhood affection for The Fearless Vampire Killers. To be fair, this poll should let us choose at least three.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009