Favorite season of American Horror Story

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by vampyr789, Nov 26, 2013.

?

Favorite season of AHS?

1. Murder House

48.3%
  2. Asylum

20.7%
  3. Coven

31.0%
  1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I really didn't care for season 1 much at all but I gave asylum a chance since it's on Netflix now. I dug it.

And with my vote, the score is tied: 6-6-6. :evil:

2. p.nibzz

p.nibzz New Member

Cliche' all tha way.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ultimately I'll probably vote Season 1.

As I feared, Coven has gone off the rails. Continuity is an afterthought, as characters die one week and just magically reappear the next. Right now it's only the scene chewing of Angela Bassett and Jessica Lange that's holding my interest. Bassett is just outstanding, and every minute she's on screen makes me giddy. But yeah, the story is just a total mess at this point, and I don't think they can write their way out of it in just two episodes.

4. Do you see

Do you see Member

Some details are starting to come out regarding S4. Apparently it’ll take part in the 50’s and it’s been teased that JL is already practicing her German accent. Sounds intriguing; could it involve post WWII Nazi’s?

5. deepred

deepred Member

If last night was the conclusion to the witch hunter storyline, THAT was just pitiful. What is the point of Zoe, Kyle, Kyle's Mom, Nan, Joan, Luke, etc. What is the point of the season?

This year is just terribly written and Asylum, while also having several storylines - did it with better characters that felt consistent and the whole season actually felt more cohesive as a story with Briarcliff being what kept it all together. I really don't know much more about this Coven than I did the first episode. Witches Vs Witch Hunters and some Voodoo thrown in with a Racist Monster - this year should have been so much better!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

"WHEN I PLANT A RACIST CRACKA BITCH IN THA GROUND I EXPECT HER TO STAY PLANTED. NOT BE POPPIN' UP LIKE SOME DAMN RAGWEED!"

~Matt

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I live for Angela Bassett. Lange is fucking outstanding too. The two of them...."much twubble"

~Matt

8. deepred

deepred Member

Hopefully, Bassett is around again next season.

9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Voted for Murder House, I was loving Coven up until the last episode or two. The story has way to much going on, too many unnecessary characters and subplots, and some really awful dialogue. This makes me nervous about where the series is headed, but since it's on FX I shouldn't really be surprised since they know how to run a show into the ground (Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, Sons of Anarchy, etc.), so my biggest concern is that Jessica Lange and Angela Bassett (saying she returns next season) will continue to drowned out the other cast members. I much as i love those two, they're fantastic actresses, but I worry Murphy and company will cater to them over everyone else, which has started to happen in this season (Hell, even Caty Bates is struggling to stay relevant in the shows "Storyline") If this is the case then I think the next season may be doomed to mediocrity.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  10. Hatchetwarrior

Does any plan on bothering with the season finale of Coven? After the last episode I think the writers just shot themselves in both feet.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm certainly disappointed with the way this season's gone (after such a promising start), but I'll be watching the finale regardless. I thought the first two season finales were a bit weak, so there's still a way for Coven to redeem itself.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I fear for the same, but the 1st season did the same thing (fell apart in the last two episodes) so I kind of expected this. I only made it through half of the 2nd season so I can't speak for it.

13. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Are you kidding? The last episode was the best so far! Sure the plot of this season has definitely wondered... a lot, but it still was a thrilling hour of AHS. I loved it. Still this season isn't my favorite, it played out incredibly different from how I thought it would, but I'm looking forward to the finale tonight.

Besides, I highly doubt Coven's finale with be as amazing as Asylum's finale.

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The writers really need to figure out better ways to end the various storylines they weave throughout the season. Each season seems to reach critical mass with plotlines and twists and the show ultimately falls apart into a schizophrenic mess. Their main stories seem to always come to an abrupt, premature ending a few episodes before the season's end, leaving half-baked, seemingly minor stories to close out the season.

Bold prediction time:
    Spalding was the "woman" that blinded Cordelia and the girl he took from Marie Laveau is the next Supreme.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yup. Any doubt that they make this show up as they go was completely dispelled as they've dropped the Cordelia pregnancy plot that was there at the beginning, not to mention the Stevie Nicks episode really seemed shoehorned in (like, Stevie found out about the show, said she'd make an appearance, and they hastily wrote her in).

So for season 4, I just want them to have a beginning-to-end main storyline planned out and make the whole show more coherent.

Complaints aside, it's still an enjoyable hour of television once a week, and far less disappointing than most "new" horror films that are currently released.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Same thing has happened to this season that has happened with previous seasons. Yes, the writers just do not know how to conclude their stories well. They have interesting angles and bring up great sub plots but they don't know how to write endings. Like they're fucking horrible at it. Horrible horrible. They try to do too much with it and come up with too many ideas and never know how to pull them all together in the end. It's a real shame. Because of this they have almost no replay value.

However, giving credit where credit is due, the performances are quite amazing.

~Matt

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

So far I've only seen seasons 1 and 2, and I prefer season 1. But Paff is making Coven sound pretty irresistible. I hope I don't have to wait until next Fall to buy the blu ray...

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Kind of a "Meh" ending to a season that started out great and then just fizzled out after returning from the mid-season break. Hopefully next year, they show a little more restraint so they can let the story flow a little bit better. Too many seemingly major storylines just ended on a dime or seemingly drowned in the mix, and too many seemingly major characters were more or less, "filler," by season's end. It's like they couldn't figure out what story they really wanted to tell nor with whom they wanted it told. The first 2/3 of the season really was great, but this feels like a season where the whole is probably less than the sum of it's parts.

Nope. Just an underdeveloped character and a couple of dropped plotlines.

19. Hatchetwarrior

It was an underwhelming ending but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I also found it very humorous that the last 20 minutes of this season finale completely mimics the last 20 minutes of the season 2 finale.
    Sarah Paulson gives an interview shortly before having a confrontation with a deranged family member who she ultimately gets the best of before they die.

20. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I have to disagree with this, I've found with repeat viewings I've grown to enjoy the seasons much more the second time around, they're good at planting clue early on in the seasons or foreshadow things that you don't notice until you rewatch it. My friends have rewatched both the first and second seasons as well and they've told me how much better it is rewatching, and that the endings tie things up pretty well.

If anything this show has amazing replay value, I've discovered new things each time, and see the bigger picture of the story.

That being said, Coven is my least favorite episode of AHS, it wasn't as intense and powerful as Asylum, nor as mysterious and claustrophobic as Murder House.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014